• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 317 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Shockingly impressive sprint where he tried to play Van der Poel, opening 300 metres out and almost finishing fourth anyway. Where has this guy been the past year and a half?

Such a pity that he didn't just go with the winning move, he was right there for it.
He isn't a guy with best roleur skills, plus he was a little cooked because of that bridging after Cauberg (which was impressive by the way..). I guess he needed little time to recover, but those guys wait for no one.
And indeed impressive sprint. To me he's in it for the win at Ardennes double.

His team was awful at Amstel, except Verona. Especially Garcia Cortina was disappointing, Serrano too... They were nowhere, in the last 50-60 km Bala was left with Verona only to cover all moves, and there were plenty of it. That's why he was so badly positioned last time they went over Cauberg, Verona was dead and he had no one to guide him. Alaphilippe for example had 3 or 4 men, Ineos had even more.
For Fleche and Liege he needs stronger team, he needs Mas and Oliveira beside Verona.

Edit: I saw that they announced the team, no Oliveira but Jorgenson is there. He needs someone to control things on penultimate climb, and someone to land him in a good position at the foot of the Mur, I think Mas and Verona could do the job.

His team was awful at Amstel, except Verona. Especially Garcia Cortina was disappointing, Serrano too... They were nowhere, in the last 50-60 km Bala was left with Verona only to cover all moves, and there were plenty of it. That's why he was so badly positioned last time they went over Cauberg, Verona was dead and he had no one to guide him. Alaphilippe for example had 3 or 4 men, Ineos had even more.
For Fleche and Liege he needs stronger team, he needs Mas and Oliveira beside Verona.

Edit: I saw that they announced the team, no Oliveira but Jorgenson is there. He needs someone to control things on penultimate climb, and someone to land him in a good position at the foot of the Mur, I think Mas and Verona could do the job.

I think the combination of Jorgenson, Mas and Verona will be there for him. Verona has some good form, Mas' is better than it has been and hopefully Jorgenson is back to where he was at Paris-Nice. Jorgenson has said he really was hoping to race the Ardennes with Valverde because he wants to learn so and understand what needs to do to be good in those races. Hopefully he has some good form.

6s is a pretty big difference.
Its not a matter of seconds, its a matter of energy you spend. At 1km to go he was the last of the group, he had to spend a lot of energy to come to the front. Energy that he didnt have to respond Alaphilipes attack.
And then, once you dont have the chance to win you dont push the same. He just looked to get the third spot of the podium.

TRENDING THREADS