• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 321 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Where did my post state this is Valverde's last season.

This was originally his final season, which is why he had been promising the Spanish races he would be there. If he's extending his career (which is all but official at this point), then this isn't his final year and thus he'll race those races next year. It having likely been his final year he had planned on racing the Spanish races a way to say both goodbye and thank you.

Reactions: joe_papp
This is an interesting development. Properly managed, it could be a very effective training block for him. The Olympics are absolutely happening, right? No worry that they might be suspended again, or cancelled last minute b/c of pandemic? Also, has Valverde spoken at all about having been vaccinated? Just curious.

This is an interesting development. Properly managed, it could be a very effective training block for him. The Olympics are absolutely happening, right? No worry that they might be suspended again, or cancelled last minute b/c of pandemic? Also, has Valverde spoken at all about having been vaccinated? Just curious.

He hasn't said anything about it, but I also know it's not exactly easy to get a vaccine in Spain. A friend of mine who lives near Barcelona just this week got her first dose of Moderna. Many of her friends are asking her about side effects so they are prepared because they haven't been called yet for the an appointment for the vaccine. I don't think any of my friends in Murcia have gotten the vaccine yet either. Haven't had a chance to get it.

With the current progress in Spain's vaccination plan covering the population from oldest to youngest, his age group is expected to get the first dose in late May.

With the current progress in Spain's vaccination plan covering the population from oldest to youngest, his age group is expected to get the first dose in late May.

My brother in law lives in Barcelona and he's been told that the Spanish are expecting to get all the over 60s vaccinated by the end of June. As for the rest is any ones guess, does Valverde fall into that category? :D

My brother in law lives in Barcelona and he's been told that the Spanish are expecting to get all the over 60s vaccinated by the end of June. As for the rest is any ones guess, does Valverde fall into that category? :D
90% of over 60s have received their first dose and 45% have received their second one.
There are some small variations between regions, but the bulk of people in their 50s started being called last week for their first dose. Those in their 40s are expected to start at the end of May. He might probably be called in June just because he's still young among those in his group.
Then, I've found that the Spanish Olympic Comitee has his own vaccination program expected to start also in late May.

90% of over 60s have received their first dose and 45% have received their second one.
There are some small variations between regions, but the bulk of people in their 50s started being called last week for their first dose. Those in their 40s are expected to start at the end of May. He might probably be called in June just because he's still young among those in his group.
Then, I've found that the Spanish Olympic Comitee has his own vaccination program expected to start also in late May.

I've heard that some Olympic Committees in some countries are doing a separate vaccination program for those athletes. I guess the question is which vaccine is the Olympic committee getting for their athletes.

Disclaimer: This is a long post and a bit of a tangent. I didn't want to make it its own thread though because there is already a thread on Valverde. This is also by no means a dig against him. Valverde has been very, very good but I don't think he is 1.5x as good as the other 'hall-of-famers' of the 21st century.

Due to his massive consistency Alejandro Valverde tends to dominate all-time ranking lists among recent cyclists. In a similar manner to Peter Sagan but to a much higher degree. This stands in contrast with a rider like Fabian Cancellara who does not do well here.

e.g. CQRanking (since 1999)
  1. Alejandro Valverde - 35459 points
  2. Peter Sagan - 21841 points
  3. Vincenzo Nibali - 20767 points
  4. Davide Rebellin - 20224 points
  5. Philippe Gilbert - 20102 points
e.g. Procyclingstats (filtered to only count cyclists that are under 50 years old atm in order to only look at 'recent' cyclists)
  1. Alejandro Valverde - 1788 points
  2. Erik Zabel - 1273 points
  3. Peter Sagan - 1270 points
  4. Tom Boonen - 1123 points
  5. Davide Rebellin - 1104 points
Both of those rankings don't only show Valverde being ahead but also show him being ahead by an absolutely massive margin. But do you think this is an accurate representation of what Valverde has actually accomplished? Valverde is for sure (one of) the best cyclist(s) in the last few decades but this margin seems absurd to me.

Why is it so large? I see three reasons. The first is that Valverde has won a lot of small races that these rankings tend to value more than winning a few big ones like Cancellara did. The Vuelta a Mallorca in particular is an example of this because this race is classified as a series of one-day races instead of a stage race. Therefore each 'stage win' is valued like winning a small one-day race and is worth much more than a stage win in the Volta ao Algarve or Paris-Nice. In fact on CQRanking and PCS it is valued similarly to a stage at the Tour de France. Therefore it also gives good points for even being top-10 while a stage at Volta ao Algarve would only reward the podium. On CQRanking Valverde has about 1000 points due to Volta a Mallorca. It's difficult to say how much this would be if it was classified as Volta ao Algarve though because then he would have been granted some points for the GC. It's very doubtful that it would have been as much as 1000 seeing as how even a GC win would only give 150 points. Nevertheless Valverde also scored a lot of points by winning races such as Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana, Vuelta a Murcia etc. . It is similar to how you'll sometimes see French, Italian or Belgian riders rack up a whole lot of points by winning a ton of small races in their own country. But imo by the general public those points are not valued as much as winning a classic.
As an illustration: on CQRanking Valverde got about as much points for winning 2 stages in Mallorca (+ 2 top-10 finishes) in 2005 as he did for winning Flèche Wallonne in 2006.
Reason 1: The format favors cyclists like Valverde who can consistently rack up wins and podiums in smaller races and are willing to do so.

The second is that Valverde is very versatile and very consistent. He was able to rack up podiums and top-10's in GT's as well as tons of wins and podiums in the classics. All of this consistency translates to points because a podium and a top-10 is also valued. But when we look at a palmares there is still a big difference between winning and coming close. If you were to look at the points gained from GT GC's then Valverde would have a strong bid for 1st among recent cyclists. In fact if you use the CQRanking system then Valverde has 6.209 points in this category which is not that far behind what the 1st place Eddy Merckx would have (7.025 points). And ahead of Froome (5.691), Nibali (5.967) and Quintana (3.960). Only Contador is ahead if you grant him TDF 2010, Giro 2011 and 5th place Tour 2011 (6.432) otherwise he ends at 5.042 points.
In the classics we get a similar story with Valverde being on the same level as the other great classics riders of his era (Boonen, Cancellara, Gilbert). Using CQRanking and only counting monuments, WC and Olympics (to avoid discussion about what other classics to include) we get scores like this: Valverde (4.828), Boonen (4.879), Cancellara (4.724), Gilbert (4.549), Sagan (4.282). Most of this comes from him having by far the best scores in LBL and WC.
So Valverde seems to be absolutely top-tier in both GT's and Classics. Not to mention his impressive record in one-week races (winning Dauphiné 2x, winning PV, winning Catalunya 3x).
Reason 2: Valverde is versatile and above-all very consistent.

Lastly there is of course his longevity which I don't think I really need to go into. While there are other top cyclists that come close in terms of seasons raced none of them have managed to keep their level so consistently high. This reason can actually be ignored because in terms of how good a career has been it doesn't matter how long it was imo.
Reason 3: Valverde has been racing for a long time and the signs of wear and tear are limited.

So in essence my question becomes this. Do you think that these all-time rankings overrate Valverde or is he really the GOAT of this era (by such a margin)? Because it looks like many points that Valverde scored where found in smaller races and by finishing on the podium or in the top-10. Valverde has 7 WC medals but only one of them is gold. He has been on a GT podium 9 times but only once on the highest spot.
How do you value this?

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's that good. He's been that good for the better part of 2 decades. He has record number of wins in multiple races. He has record number of podiums in multiple races. He holds the record for most GT top 10's. He's extremely good at both classics and stage races. You also can't discount longevity as he holds records there as well in multiple races. It's his consistency that has made him so good for so long. He's a favorite just about every time he enters a race.

edited to add: In stage races depending on the field he's been capable of winning both field sprints and mountain top finishes and has done so.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS