• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 339 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
He plans to ride Il Lombardia so an extra month before the goodbye.
And not only to ride, but to win it. He wants to go with a bang, like legendary Vino did...
But first thing first.., he gifted the Mont Ventoux win to Sylwester Szmyd 13 years ago, now the time has come to capture the Giant of Provence!

Last edited:
And not only to ride, but to win it. He wants to go with a bang, like legendary Vino did...
But first thing first.., he gifted the Mont Ventoux win to Sylwester Szmyd 13 years ago, now the time has come to capture the Giant of Provence!
Slightly off topic, but that was the first race I watched with David Duffield commentary. After Szmyd fell back in the finale and then Valverde waited, Duffield kept shouting about how Szmyd duped Valverde into stopping. It made no sense at all but Duffield still talked about the trickery the next day even after Szmyd gave a detailed interview about how he got nervous/felt ill. I knew Duffield was old so thought maybe he was developing dementia. But since then I've seen enough early 90's broadcasts to realize he was always an idiot. No offense intended.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Slightly off topic, but that was the first race I watched with David Duffield commentary. After Szmyd fell back in the finale and then Valverde waited, Duffield kept shouting about how Szmyd duped Valverde into stopping. It made no sense at all but Duffield still talked about the trickery the next day even after Szmyd gave a detailed interview about how he got nervous/felt ill. I knew Duffield was old so thought maybe he was developing dementia. But since then I've seen enough early 90's broadcasts to realize he was always an idiot. No offense intended.

Duffield was not without his flaws, but I think he had retired by then.

The video on youtube of the Eurosport coverage from that stage has Carlton being his usual idiot self.

• Haha
Reactions: SafeBet
And not only to ride, but to win it. He wants to go with a bang, like legendary Vino did...[emphasis mine]
One can only hope/pray that Valverde closes his career with a win as magnificent as Vino's. Truly one of the great one-day moments of the post-Kelly era [the finale, I mean, not the overall race itself].

Bala will stay 24h in hospital for observation.
According to those riding with him it wasn't an accident but intentional. They took note of the car plate number and the driver has been arrested.

TRENDING THREADS