• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 340 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
What could go wrong with Valverde, the guy is immortal ;)
True. The driver hit him, put the reverse, hit him again, run over him, reverse again, about twenty times later, he took off having realized that Don Alejandro is the cycling version of the Terminator.

Jokes aside, get well Bala. And for his fans, he may decide to leave on his own terms, come back for one more run. How about another Valverde comeback thread? I will vote "Nuclear HolocOust.

True. The driver hit him, put the reverse, hit him again, run over him, reverse again, about twenty times later, he took off having realized that Don Alejandro is the cycling version of the Terminator.

Jokes aside, get well Bala. And for his fans, he may decide to leave on his own terms, come back for one more run. How about another Valverde comeback thread? I will vote "Nuclear HolocOust.

Everything happens for a reason, they say. After last week’s incident, Valverde will say: „I cannot retire after having experienced THIS in my last season. I‘ll retire after 2023, now - after one further year!“.

It‘s the same story as with Rebellin: Incident - „I cannot retire like THIS!“ - another year - next incident.

Davide had all this in all his last years. Now he‘s almost 51 and does not speak about retirement, any more. And he still achieves Top-10 ranks in 1.1 and 2.1 races.

Alejandro could follow in his footsteps!… :)

Everything happens for a reason, they say. After last week’s incident, Valverde will say: „I cannot retire after having experienced THIS in my last season. I‘ll retire after 2023, now - after one further year!“.

It‘s the same story as with Rebellin: Incident - „I cannot retire like THIS!“ - another year - next incident.

Davide had all this in all his last years. Now he‘s almost 51 and does not speak about retirement, any more. And he still achieves Top-10 ranks in 1.1 and 2.1 races.

Alejandro could follow in his footsteps!… :)

Rebellin has confirmed his retirement for October 2022.

Crazy that the driver is an ex-cop. Guardia Civil, to be exact.

Google translated

The 69-year-old driver accused of the alleged intentional outrage suffered by the cyclist Alejandro Valverde and two Movistar teammates last Saturday in the Murcian district of Javalí Viejo, was a civil guard, as reported to EFE on Tuesday by his lawyer, Ariane Santiago.

Release with charges for the accused

The defendant, who was stationed for several years in the Basque Country and also worked for a time as an assistant at the Murcia Institute of Legal Medicine, was released on Monday with charges after testifying before the head of the Court of Instruction number 3 of the Murcian capital , who imposed the obligation to appear on the 1st and 15th of each month and ordered the withdrawal of the driver's license and the intervention of the vehicle when noticing signs of a possible crime against road safety, injuries and abandonment of the scene of the accident.

His lawyer has insisted today that there was no intentionality in the outrage suffered by the three professional cyclists, although he did not want to explain the circumstances in which the accident occurred and it will be his client who gives his version of the events -has insured - when he recovers emotionally from what happened.

The outrage, according to what EFE learned from sources close to the case being investigated by the National Police, occurred around 12:20 p.m. in the district of Javalí Viejo when some of the cyclists reproached the driver for a reckless overtaking that put them in danger by not respecting the mandatory meter and a half distance to pass them on the road.

Hearing them, the accused braked, backed up and rammed Valverde from behind, who was very dizzy from the blow, and two of his companions, after which he fled along the RM-560 road as he passed through the Murcian district Javalí Viejo.

Hours after the accident he turned himself in to the local police and was detained until he was brought to justice on Monday morning. "When he has the strength he will give his version, but now it is soon because he is assimilating what has happened, he has been detained for 45 hours and he is a man who takes cancer medication and has some ailments," said the lawyer.

Valverde was discharged on Saturday

Alejandro Valverde, 42 years old and facing his last season as a professional, was discharged on the same Saturday night after remaining under observation at the Virgen de la Arrixaca hospital in Murcia along with another teammate, Pedro Moya.

Crazy that the driver is an ex-cop. Guardia Civil, to be exact.

Google translated

The 69-year-old driver accused of the alleged intentional outrage suffered by the cyclist Alejandro Valverde and two Movistar teammates last Saturday in the Murcian district of Javalí Viejo, was a civil guard, as reported to EFE on Tuesday by his lawyer, Ariane Santiago.

Release with charges for the accused

The defendant, who was stationed for several years in the Basque Country and also worked for a time as an assistant at the Murcia Institute of Legal Medicine, was released on Monday with charges after testifying before the head of the Court of Instruction number 3 of the Murcian capital , who imposed the obligation to appear on the 1st and 15th of each month and ordered the withdrawal of the driver's license and the intervention of the vehicle when noticing signs of a possible crime against road safety, injuries and abandonment of the scene of the accident.

His lawyer has insisted today that there was no intentionality in the outrage suffered by the three professional cyclists, although he did not want to explain the circumstances in which the accident occurred and it will be his client who gives his version of the events -has insured - when he recovers emotionally from what happened.

The outrage, according to what EFE learned from sources close to the case being investigated by the National Police, occurred around 12:20 p.m. in the district of Javalí Viejo when some of the cyclists reproached the driver for a reckless overtaking that put them in danger by not respecting the mandatory meter and a half distance to pass them on the road.

Hearing them, the accused braked, backed up and rammed Valverde from behind, who was very dizzy from the blow, and two of his companions, after which he fled along the RM-560 road as he passed through the Murcian district Javalí Viejo.

Hours after the accident he turned himself in to the local police and was detained until he was brought to justice on Monday morning. "When he has the strength he will give his version, but now it is soon because he is assimilating what has happened, he has been detained for 45 hours and he is a man who takes cancer medication and has some ailments," said the lawyer.

Valverde was discharged on Saturday

Alejandro Valverde, 42 years old and facing his last season as a professional, was discharged on the same Saturday night after remaining under observation at the Virgen de la Arrixaca hospital in Murcia along with another teammate, Pedro Moya.
That is some crazy sh*t and dam scary! Hope there's no serious injuries to the riders.

I teared up watching Valverde riding into Madrid at the head of the field on the final stage today. Reminded me of LeMond doing the same on the final stage of the 1991 Tour.

1991-tdf-22-lemond.jpg

Of course while Don Alejandro unjustly lost time in the sport, it wasn't as cruel as what Greg endured. Truly a privilege to have supported both riders. Bravo, Sr. Valverde...bravo.

Valverde was the reason I started watching cycling in 2003-2004, and has been my favourite rider ever since. I can still remember his stage 7 win in the Vuelta of 2006 vividly, such a machine with his uphill acceleration at the end. Besides Strade Bianche and Flèche Wallone his season was a bit lacklustre, but happy to see him find ease in quitting professional cycling as a rider. Next year he'll be an ambassador for Movistar, and might even be a director during some races. We probably haven't seen the last of him in cycling.

So the legend is leaving the sport. When he was winning his first Vuelta stages I was a high school graduate. Oh God, seems like ages ago. I remember when he beat Armstrong in Courchevel making the American call him "the future of cycling". Now he's the past. Another living memory is MtVentoux stage at Dauphine 2009 - the way he let cracking Szmyd win was exceptional and, coming from Poland, I still remember it well. There are other memories like battles with Contador and others on monstrous Vuelta climbs, domination in Ardennes. And obviously winning a WC gold at an already advanced age was fantastic - still in my memory. He won't be forgotten.

ourcheve
Bala and Nibali going through the peloton lined up in two rows was quite a scene. Great champions deserved that.

That was amazing. Then his riding at the front of the peloton into Madrid was wonderful to see so he could say goodbye to his fans.

My first memory of him was 2005 Tour when he beat Armstrong at the top of Courchevel.

TRENDING THREADS