• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
auscyclefan94 said:
If he wins a stage I think I will cry myself to sleep.

I suggest you stop being naive regarding doping. I don't like it either, but Valverde certainly isn't the only one.
I used to be just like you, but it's pointless. He served his ban and now he is free to ride again. He probably will add a lot of spice to races the upcoming years so I'm glad he's back.

gooner said:
He had a great battle here the last time with evans and luis leon sanchez on the descent of willunga hill. This time i have a feeling he could go again as the finish on top of willunga will suit him.

I am fascinated to see what him can do in fleche wallonne, amstel gold and LBL.

It's very interesting how he will do. Normally I wouldn't expect too much since he hasn't raced a race in 1.5 years, but it's no secret he has been training very hard during his ban. He for example once said that during his ban he climbed up a local climb faster than he ever was able to do when he was still racing.

Actually I think that the Wilunga Hill stage will show us a weeee little bit wether he will be a force in the Ardennes yes or no. If we see him trying, but failing hard on Wilunga I think we can conclude he will need a lot more time.
If he wins the stage the prospects are promising, (Not for ACF though :D )

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
I suggest you stop being naive regarding doping. I don't like it either, but Valverde certainly isn't the only one.
I used to be just like you, but it's pointless. He served his ban and now he is free to ride again. He probably will add a lot of spice to races the upcoming years so I'm glad he's back.

la Pandera understood the on-going 'joke' about my opinion of Valverde. Hopefully you will catch on.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Ok. Well I haven't been reading this forum like mad last months so it's not strange if I missed the on-going 'joke'.
My bad! :)
No problem! In a forum with people from different nationalities, backgrounds, personalities, etc it is easy for misunderstandings to happen.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
la Pandera understood the on-going 'joke' about my opinion of Valverde. Hopefully you will catch on.

the ongoing joke is your opinion about him.
in fact, eveything you post here is a joke.
15000 posts and you know nothing about this beautiful and amazing thing.

Or maybe it's to do with how, for a few years, Evans kept being pipped at the post for several races, and all too often for ACF's liking, it was Valverde that pipped him, thus turning Valverde into a pantomime villain? He's a guy ACF doesn't even truly hate, he loves to hate him because without enemies like him to overcome, Cadel's triumphs wouldn't be as satisfying. To be the best, you have to beat the best!

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Or maybe it's to do with how, for a few years, Evans kept being pipped at the post for several races, and all too often for ACF's liking, it was Valverde that pipped him, thus turning Valverde into a pantomime villain? He's a guy ACF doesn't even truly hate, he loves to hate him because without enemies like him to overcome, Cadel's triumphs wouldn't be as satisfying. To be the best, you have to beat the best!

..no matter how large the challenge might be.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I like how his return to the peloton excites a lot of people around here, that's always a good thing.

Sadly, he'll probably be plowed by Phil in the classics. And by everyone else in the GT's. That'll just leave him with the scraps.

Anyway, let him prove me wrong.

boomcie said:
I like how his return to the peloton excites a lot of people around here, that's always a good thing.

Sadly, he'll probably be plowed by Phil in the classics. And by everyone else in the GT's. That'll just leave him with the scraps.

Anyway, let him prove me wrong.
Somehow I don't feel like you think this would be all that sad...

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Somehow I don't feel like you think this would be all that sad...

Why would it be sad?

Oh right, I wrote sadly. That's cause a lot of people idolize him around here. I myself am not a fan.

boomcie said:
Why would it be sad?

Oh right, I wrote sadly. That's cause a lot of people idolize him around here. I myself am not a fan.

Hmmm. I don't think their are many people idolizing him
It's like the youngest said he was the nr.1 when they banned him. Ofcourse I'm looking forward to his return. I don't expect him to beat Gilbert though... well not the 2011 Gilbert that is.
He won't win the TdF either, but he's very versatile and just really good so why shouldn't I look forward to his return?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Idolize, or welcome him back because in the two years before his suspension he was the no. 1 rider in the world, and such a rider is always missed?

Imagine your guy Philly Gilly getting suspended.

Everyone deserves a second chance, including Valverde. I don't see Boomcie saying Valverde doesn't deserve to be in the peloton. Everyone has cyclists who they rather not see win, but that doesn't automatically mean you want them out of the peloton.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Idolize, or welcome him back because in the two years before his suspension he was the no. 1 rider in the world, and such a rider is always missed?

Imagine your guy Philly Gilly getting suspended.

1. He's not my Philly Gilly. I just made a realistic reference.
2. I do welcome him back. Where did you read that I don't?

El Pistolero said:
Everyone deserves a second chance, including Valverde. I don't see Boomcie saying Valverde doesn't deserve to be in the peloton. Everyone has cyclists who they rather not see win, but that doesn't automatically mean you want them out of the peloton.

Exactly.

Very wise of him to start riding competitively as soon as the TDU, since the stages aren't that long & demanding -Also helps that the entire peloton is just stretching the legs. this race will be good for him to measure his current form against the rest-& most of all-the Km's of racing are more valuable as this stage than anything else....
can't wait:)

Is Armstrong maybe a good comparison. He was out twice as long as Valverde, came back for TDU and despite an injury and doing Il GIro he was on pretty ****ing good shape by the time the Tour came around.

And he was 38 years old.

And Armstrong is no Valverde (when it comes to the whole rest of the season, obviously way better at the Tour).

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
And where do I say you don't? I just wondered where the word "idolize" came from.

You kinda implied that.

Idolize? I feel like the word is pretty appropriate, but I guess its meaning is open to some degree of interpretation.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I like the Armstrong reference, cause both are pretty good at sustaining lies till it becomes totally ridiculous (and beyond).

Not trying to **** anyone off here, but Valverde lost me when he kept lying despite the ironclad evidence against him.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
Evans has nothing to prove now though, Valverde plenty.

plenty?????????? da f"ck...

evans nothing to prove????? he has everything to prove! he won because he was lucky!! and i am totally serious.

TRENDING THREADS