• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Libertine Seguros said:
It's okay. It had a yeast infection and they didn't know what to do about it, but Valverde offered to take it to a very good animal gynæcologist he knows...

It sure as hell didnt have anemia because then they would have to give it to Cadel who knows a better hematologist - Ferrari than Valverde who only knows Dr Punto.

El Pistolero said:
All of them(not all at the same extent however). Homicidal rates and violence statistics are higher in Southern European countries bordering the Mediterranean sea and also Turkey and North African countries compared to Northern Europe. After around 1500 there was a gradual process of "spiritualisation of honour" going on in Northern Europe(Low countries, France, England, some Scandinavian countries and to a lesser extent Germany) while the rest of Europe retained an honour(= respect) system that was still closely related to the body till deep in the 19th and 20th century. The divergence between Northern Europe and Southern Europe is of course (a lot) smaller now than a few centuries ago, but there's still a gap. Spiritualisation of honour means that one doesn't react violently anymore when offended and that he can gain/obtain respect/honour by other means than violence like avoiding violence. As for the 21th centurty, murder and violence rates have been going up again in all European countries since 1970. Same trend is visible in the USA, but they always had a higher homicide and violence rate than Europe.

An honour system closely related to the body basically means that if someone disrespected you by means of an insult or another wrongful act the only way you can regain your respect is by returning the insult or by violence. People who always reacted violently to insults were "feared" and thus respected by their neighbours and not considered cowards. That still exists today in these Mediterannean countries, though obviously to a lesser extent than in the past. Best example of a "country" where respect is still closely related to the body(and the face in particular) is Corsica and also Sicily. Just remember that "respect" doesn't have the same meaning in every country. While we for example would consider a Turkish father killing someone who had intercourse with his daughter(before marriage) a trivial cause to kill someone for they'd consider it respectful and the right thing to do. I wouldn't say they crave violence, they merely have a different culture and the difference between North and South is much smaller these days than 70 years ago anyway.

Just saying this because one of your posts was assuming earning someone's respect precludes using violence or instilling fear in someone while that is not true today for every country in the world(and not even every European country) and definitely not true for the past. Sorry for the off-topic rambling :) Besides, I just like using quotes like the one of Caligula. But even in cycling being afraid of a certain cyclist can be advantageous for said cyclist. Frank and Andy feared Gilbert at LBL, so they didn't even bother to attack him after they got away. They started LBL that day knowing they had already lost. They were like sheep destined for slaughter.

To use a quote of someone else this time:

"It's always a little bit scary when Contador attacks" - Thomas Voeckler.

Perhaps that one is a bit more relevant to what I'm talking about, what do you think? :D

Have you seen Good Will Hunting? Hitch is gonna get you;)

Nuclear Holocoust
18-Valve. (pithy), 42x16ss, Aguirre, AntonioRossi, Bye Bye Bicycle, c&cfan, CasperVg, Chef_Vodnik, Climeon, Cobblestoned, craig1985, cyclelicious, Dekker_Tifosi, dlwssonic, ElChingon, ferryman, Forunculo, gilbertador, Gloin22, gustienordic, Havetts, hfer07, Hugo Koblet, iwasonbwh, jens_attacks, khardung la, LaFlorecita, LePatron, Lexman, Lupetto, Maaaaaaaarten, Marcus135, meat puppet, Merckx, Met de Versnelling, Michele, Mshengu, Njbb1995, nobilis, nvpacchi, Old School, Parrulo, phanatic, Ryaguas, sartoris, scullster46, SHAD0W93, Shardi, Squire, Straßenrennen, taiwan, the chicken from T, The Cobra, The Hitch, Thorn Cycling, Vino attacks everyone, virandociclista, webbie146, Zoncolan

congratulations to the winners. nuclear holocoust it is

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Congrats to Valverde (it does kill me to say this). He seems to have trained super hard during the off season and I was wrong about his form coming back.

parrulo said:
nuclear holocoust
18-valve. (pithy), 42x16ss, aguirre, antoniorossi, bye bye bicycle, c&cfan, caspervg, chef_vodnik, climeon, cobblestoned, craig1985, cyclelicious, dekker_tifosi, dlwssonic, elchingon, ferryman, forunculo, gilbertador, gloin22, gustienordic, havetts, hfer07, hugo koblet, iwasonbwh, jens_attacks, khardung la, laflorecita, lepatron, lexman, lupetto, maaaaaaaarten, marcus135, meat puppet, merckx, met de versnelling, michele, mshengu, njbb1995, nobilis, nvpacchi, old school, parrulo, phanatic, ryaguas, sartoris, scullster46, shad0w93, shardi, squire, straßenrennen, taiwan, the chicken from t, the cobra, the hitch, thorn cycling, vino attacks everyone, virandociclista, webbie146, zoncolan

congratulations to the winners. Nuclear holocoust it is

in valverde we trust:)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
glad he's back, look forward to him taking evans and phil down.
Winning in the TDU against Gerrans is in no way shape or form comparable to fronting up to Evans or Gilbert in the Classics & Grands Tours.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So a stage win in the TDU is nuclear holocaust, surely that should've been saved for when he wins something that matters? Like oh I don't know, a Classic?

Libertine Seguros said:
Yup, beating post-Cervélo Simon "I'm just kind of there when it's hilly" Gerrans by a matter of centimetres on a 3km climb is not exactly earth-shattering. It's not like he dropped them all and put 10 seconds into the field. Javier Moreno did all the hard work.

Oh please. Lighten up. It was a fantastic return:)

HE IS HOME:D

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, maybe it's not the toughest race out there with the toughest competition. But 18 months without competition and taking into account that he's not peaking for this race, no one can deny the fact that he's one of the most talented cyclists for the last decade.
Glad to have him back. Racing is more interesting and exciting now. At least he goes for the win in every race he's in.
And I agree by the hard work done by Javier Moreno. Great addition to the team.
ACF, we're waiting for the avatar change.

ferryman said:
Oh please. Lighten up. It was a fantastic return:)

HE IS HOME:D

I'm one of the forum's biggest, if not biggest outright, Valverde apologists.

I just think that making this out like it's an amazing return is just as egregiously over-the-top as the people making out like this is a disaster, or that he's come straight back to the top and is his old self. The fact of the matter is, it's the freaking Tour Down Under. We have no idea what kind of form he'll have when the top names show up and actually have some form.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Yup, beating post-Cervélo Simon "I'm just kind of there when it's hilly" Gerrans by a matter of centimetres on a 3km climb is not exactly earth-shattering. It's not like he dropped them all and put 10 seconds into the field. Javier Moreno did all the hard work.
I think Javier Moreno should be getting a lot of credit for his great ride today. He really split the race to pieces all the way up the climb for Valverde into a headwind. Libertine, did you watch the race live?
18-Valve. (pithy) said:

Oh **** I am an idiot. I will go find one and use it for two weeks. Happy?

Can someone find me a pic of Valverde crying?

auscyclefan94 said:
I think Javier Moreno should be getting a lot of credit for his great ride today. He really split the race to pieces all the way up the climb for Valverde into a headwind. Libertine, did you watch the race live?

Oh **** I am an idiot. I will go find one and use it for two weeks. Happy?

Can someone find me a pic of Valverde crying?

what a good start to the year :D ....i wish i would be bothered to edit the pic for you
and libertine are you trying to use reverse psychology? :p :D

Libertine Seguros said:
I'm one of the forum's biggest, if not biggest outright, Valverde apologists.

I just think that making this out like it's an amazing return is just as egregiously over-the-top as the people making out like this is a disaster, or that he's come straight back to the top and is his old self. The fact of the matter is, it's the freaking Tour Down Under. We have no idea what kind of form he'll have when the top names show up and actually have some form.

I know but I'm more of a half glass full guy;) I want Valverde back firing and hopefully Cunego and we have an early season to drool over:D

TRENDING THREADS