• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Himalayan Salt

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else use this stuff?

Since most vegetables and fruit are farmed out of soil that has been turned so many times the micro nutrients that used to be in them is now lacking. Himalayan salt has these micro nutrients.

Any thoughts or is anybody else salting their food with this ancient seasoning?

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
TopCarbon said:
Anybody else use this stuff?

Since most vegetables and fruit are farmed out of soil that has been turned so many times the micro nutrients that used to be in them is now lacking. Himalayan salt has these micro nutrients.

Any thoughts or is anybody else salting their food with this ancient seasoning?

no but i'll admit i was suckered into buying a $7 bottle of sea salt when it was all the rage :D.

erader

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
ow come on, dont waste your money on this... with normal healthy food you wont run out of micro nutrients that fast... and you wont benefit at all by taking more of them in pills, powders or whatever crap there is around...

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I used to get micro nutrients from the great salt lake and then read a paper that said if there were not the proper nutrients carrots would not grow to be carrots. I don't know. Eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits and eat what ever else makes you happy. moderation is the key. An old saying that I heard is eat 80% healthy 80% of the time and you will be happy, I have found that to be a good way to live.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Yah - micro nutrients definitely make a difference, no question. Not tongue in cheek, they make about as much difference as their name indicates - micro. For an overwhelming majority (the macro opposite of micro), they will make no difference as their is no need.

As a matter of fact - being overly concerned about less common ingredients can be harmful. Take iron as an example. If one is iron deficient, there is a real performance hit -- IF one is deficient. So imagine, if you will, a scenario where someone then assumes that they should take some iron to avoid this - actually not an uncommon scenario. But, this can be a big problem - TOO MUCH iron is absolutely bad for you, and US males are probably more in danger of too much iron than not enough, given all the processed foods that add iron (check your breakfast cereal).

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I say go ahead and use it. I like good salts too. It's not going to give you any benefits you'll notice in the short term, but I'm all for getting micro nutrients anytime I can, as long as I'm not paying some silly price for it.

I can buy a 2lb. bag of FunFreshFoods brand from http://www.vitaglo.com/fff65639.html for about $8, free shipping with an order over $50. I'd say this is pretty inexpensive, and it tastes good. Most people's taste buds are so out of whack they don't know the difference between good sea salt and the highly refined table salt in the grocer.

I also get this sea salt from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EQ5R02/ref=oss_product It's tastes great and is a great value.

A

Anonymous

OLd Wives Tale

lostintime said:
I say go ahead and use it. I like good salts too. It's not going to give you any benefits you'll notice in the short term, but I'm all for getting micro nutrients anytime I can, as long as I'm not paying some silly price for it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EQ5R02/ref=oss_product It's tastes great and is a great value.

I've heard, to stay healthy eat a spoonful of dirt every day. Might be hard to find a "clean" location free of polution etc but I'm sure it would be as useful as expensive boutique salt shipped half way around the world, with the added bennefit of a nice walk in the woods.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Neither of these salts I list are expensive. If one can't tell the difference in taste between Morton's highly refined crap sodium chloride and good sea salt .... one has no taste buds! Then of course ... one may as well eat dirt because one wouldn't even notice it was dirt they were tasting.

People spend outrageous amounts of money of silly bike parts to save a gram here and there, yet call seal salt "expensive". Ha Ha.

A

Anonymous

Your original post

seemed to imply or wonder if the HImalayan salt provided a health benefit. No one seems to know. If it is a taste issue, what the hey, eat away. There are other issues such as quality control. Think back to pottery from Mexico with lead glazes, lead paint on toys from china, fish imported into the US from areas where waters are very polluted, etc. Does the FDA monitor the purity of imported salt? Then there is the "local" issue. Is it wise to burn fossile fuels to transport salt from the Himalayas to wherever you are on the outside chance there may be some micro nutrients, or because it "tastes" better. BIG carbon footprint. You make the call.

The less salt we eat, the better our health is.

Eat a big handful of table salt/iodised salt/celtic sea salt/himilayian salt and we will be dead by the evening or close to it.

Fruits and veg supply all we need mineral wise. I eat organic cos it tastes better and has more nutrition. Ive worked on organic farms and they tend the soil way way better.

I dont ever add salt to my food and have riden across Australia in December with no added salt or salty foods or drinks. Not a single cramp and it was hot! :)

Fancy salt, fish oil, whey protein, BCA, colloidal minerals..they all =
Dr.jpg

durianrider said:
The less salt we eat, the better our health is.

Eat a big handful of table salt/iodised salt/celtic sea salt/himilayian salt and we will be dead by the evening or close to it.

Fruits and veg supply all we need mineral wise. I eat organic cos it tastes better and has more nutrition. Ive worked on organic farms and they tend the soil way way better.

I dont ever add salt to my food and have riden across Australia in December with no added salt or salty foods or drinks. Not a single cramp and it was hot! :)

Many studies show that our soils are depleted of minerals caused by hundreds of years of farming. This means our foods are often low in these minerals. Minerals such as sodium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and iron are not easily replaced in the soil, yet they are essential for effective body function. Just wondering what your view on this was?

Good question Polyarmour and its just another reason I shop at United organics/ecofarms at rocklea markets. Dont panic, buy organic! :)

Ive worked on organic farms vs conventional farms and Ive seen what goes into the soil. Sure organic can cost more money but it saves more planet.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't add salt to my food for the pure reason that I can't stand the taste of it. I find it absolutely revolting. But that's just me.

TRENDING THREADS