• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hinault Taking a Shot at Armstrong

A

Anonymous

Escarabajo said:
I just read this at Cyclingnews.com

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/jun09/jun08news

Can somebody explain to me what is going on? I don't understand what happened between these two.

He is probably sick of all the "the French hate Armstrong because he is a winner and the French people are losers" bull$h!t. He knows what Armstrong did, and he knows that he and his fanboys slander his country because he got busted with synthetic EPO in his urine. Armstrong is a putz and to an extent, so is the Badger. Two divas will always turn on each other.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong made this comment on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong

...because he is upset with Hinault's critical comments of him (who is critical of just about everything else too, so I don't see it as that personal) in an interview, reported on Velonews (and Armstrong provided the link to the Velonews story in his Twitter jibe):

http://www.velonews.com/article/92900/hinault-blasts--well-everyone

Maybe if Astana's financial backers don't produce the goods, Astana will rename itself as "The ****ers, presented by.....", as in the Garmin name, "presented by Chipotle", or something like that.

On a lighter note--and in good fun, with no gibes directed at anyone here, but purely for the humour of it--did you see some think that Max looks like Bob Roll: http://www.steephill.tv/2009/entries/bob-roll-max-armstrong/

Am sure Bob and Lance are having a good chuckle; they're good friends, as far as I've heard. Bet they're already thinking of his first set of wheels.

Hey, maybe they both look like me too; just wish I could climb hills a bit better, or have some of Taylor Phinney's cycling genes :D

Congrats., Lance!

I think he's right to take a shot at Armstrong for the "I'm afraid French fans will try to assault me" bull****. Armstrong lives and trains in France; he writers Twitter posts about friendly fan encounters; he's just trying to rile up "the Base" before the Tour.

That said, it's fun to see Hinault and Armstrong at each other's throats, since they're practically the same person anyway! Armstrong's aviator shades don't lie.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong says..."What a ****er. Five TdF wins doesn't buy you any common sense," Uh...., Armstrong only wishes he had the record that Hinault has. Five TdF wins, 10 total grand tour wins plus many more classics. According to this ranking list, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Marszalek, Hinault is the second winningest rider ever. Now tell me, who's the ****er?

May 12, 2009
Visit site
grimpeur said:
Armstrong says..."What a ****er. Five TdF wins doesn't buy you any common sense," Uh...., Armstrong only wishes he had the record that Hinault has. Five TdF wins, 10 total grand tour wins plus many more classics. According to this ranking list, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Marszalek, Hinault is the second winningest rider ever. Now tell me, who's the ****er?

Hinault is the ****er in this particular incident.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
rapistwit said:
Hinault is the ****er in this particular incident.
BS... you won't find Hinault crying about it on Twitter. Hinault was 10 times the rider Armstrong will ever be. Bottom line, don't f**k with a badger.

rapistwit said:
It's just Hinault being Hinault. He talks sh*t about everyone.

Really? I didn't know that Hinault has a twitter page too....
I haven't ever heard from The Badger neither complaining nor condemning about Americans participating or winning the tour, and yet, the one who has won it 7 times, trains & spends time there- Dares to say that is afraid of the country, its people & the race that gave him fame? W T F

so who's taking sh*t again?

May 12, 2009
Visit site
grimpeur said:
BS... you won't find Hinault crying about it on Twitter. Hinault was 10 times the rider Armstrong will ever be. Bottom line, don't f**k with a badger.

No he'll just whine about other riders to a French newspaper.
The badger has always been an ***.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Really? I didn't know that Hinault has a twitter page too....
I haven't ever heard from The Badger neither complaining nor condemning about Americans participating or winning the tour, and yet, the one who has won it 7 times, trains & spends time there- Dares to say that is afraid about the country, its people & the race that gave him fame? W T F

so who's taking sh*t again?

Yeah really. Does he need a twitter account to whine?

May 12, 2009
Visit site
grimpeur said:
He doesn't, that's why you won't find him whining on Twitter. Nor playing the victim. This is how Hinault deals with podium problems at the Tour.

Huh? What difference does the venue make? Is it less of a whine if you do it in a newspaper interview than on a twitter account?
Hinault has issues.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Everyone who questions Armstrong has issues. Lemond. Hinault. Simeoni. Bassons.

Is that what it is? I have thought Hinault was jerk since I first started cycling in the mid 80s. This is just Hinault being the *** nature intended him to be.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
rapistwit said:
Huh? What difference does the venue make? Is it less of a whine if you do it in a newspaper interview than on a twitter account?
Hinault wasn't whining, he was stating fact. He didn't call LA a ****er, he was telling him to man-up. He ripped on a lot more than just LA in that interview. Hinault was, and still is, "the patron" in France.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
grimpeur said:
Hinault wasn't whining, he was stating fact. He didn't call LA a ****er, he was telling him to man-up. He ripped on a lot more than just LA in that interview. Hinault was, and still is, "the patron" in France.

We must have read two different accounts then.
He said he didn't want him to be at the Tour and hoped Contador kicked his ***. Sorry but any rider would take offense to that. Hinault has always had trouble controlling is alpha dog instincts.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
rapistwit said:
We must have read two different accounts then.
He said he didn't want him to be at the Tour and hoped Contador kicked his ***. Sorry but any rider would take offense to that. Hinault has always had trouble controlling is alpha dog instincts.
Well, Hinault must know as well as anyone (being the insider he is) that this whole comeback masquerade is BS and called it like he saw it. He wants the TdF to be about the race, not a rider. "I race to win, not to please people"—Bernard Hinault

May 6, 2009
Visit site
People do realise he did bag out his own countrymen:

Bernard Hinault said:
Hinault doled out some other strong words during the interview, commenting on a variety of subjects. He was scathing about French riders, saying that, "there are champions who become civil servants when they turn pro. It is necessary to put a knife to their throats to get results. The French earn too much money and don't make enough effort.

"The French don't go training. Nobody slaps them in the mouth to move them forward. A portion of their salaries need to be blocked and given back if they have a victory."

He doesn't believe it's a case that his countrymen are cleaner. "The French have taken as much as the others," he said. "What is unusual is that cyclists are not treated the same way as other sports."

I thought that interview was a hoot. Love Hinault's shoot from the hip style. Didn't hold anything back, on anyone, including candid comments on his own countrymen, which were more scathing than what he said about Lance as I read it.

Most of all absolutely loved his comments on radios. So true.

Andy Hampsten said Bernard was a great leader who helped his career a great deal, and even somewhat backs him up about the 1986 Tour. Andy's inside perception of what happened then has a real ring of truth if anyone listens.

We need more, many more, racers that attacked like Hinault. Whenever anyone takes a flyer now days we call them reckless, foolish, as we watch everyone safely ride with each other to the last 5k of every mountain stage. But Hinault would go for it anywhere, and anytime he saw a weakness. Sometimes he blew up and lost because of it, but more often than not he won. What a great champion he was.

Great photos of Bob and Max, btw. Hilarious. :p

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I have read of a story at the Dauphine in the 80's where Bernard said (read ordered) the day's racing be easy to give his team mates a break and there to be no attacks. So what happens? Some upstart attacks which incur's Hinault's wrath and he chases after him, catches him and drops him and goes on to win the stage.

If I were a French pro cyclist, Hinault would be the one person I would be asking advice from.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I have read of a story at the Dauphine in the 80's where Bernard said (read ordered) the day's racing be easy to give his team mates a break and there to be no attacks. So what happens? Some upstart attacks which incur's Hinault's wrath and he chases after him, catches him and drops him and goes on to win the stage.

If I were a French pro cyclist, Hinault would be the one person I would be asking advice from.

If Armstrong did that he'd be accused of being a vindictive megalomaniacal ***.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
To me, the best thing about this skirmish is that Hinault is untouchable. There will be no effective chastising, blacklisting, or veiled threats against him by the LA camp. Anyways, he works for the race LA covets. If there was a face to face on the TdF podium, Hinault can more than stand his ground. Anyways, a LA podium appearance won't be for the maillot jaune.