• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hockey

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Well palmerq, Sid comes back on Monday night so hopefully for our viewing pleasure and your fantasy league he will remain healthy and play like the Crosby of 2010. Coming back against the Islanders though, strange move considering the bad blood between those two teams in the past two years.
I doubt he'll actually play very much - a shift here and there at most, maybe the powerplay only. I'm a little surprised the Pens/Crosby picked a home game, though, figured they'd wait until a bit of a road trip to ease him back in.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
I doubt he'll actually play very much - a shift here and there at most, maybe the powerplay only. I'm a little surprised the Pens/Crosby picked a home game, though, figured they'd wait until a bit of a road trip to ease him back in.
I think they have a 3 game home stand, so they probably wanted to be able to have his usual doctors evaluate him right after the game and throughout the rest days.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
Wow I misjudged that one! He played like he never missed a game. Good to see him back.

So anyways, like I was saying, the Craps were going nowhere under Boudreau's watch.

My prediction that he would be replaced by Dale Hunter came true, only six months later than anticipated.

My friend watched the Caps practise today in DC. He said Hunter bodychecked Semen after scoring a goal during scrimmage.

Just kidding. He said the bunch seemed very energetic. Caps fans add an extra element to hockey games, and I like watching their home games for that reason alone.

Hopefully Hunter can light a fire under Chokevechkin and co. Caps fans really deserve a Cup final.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
When the GM says the players stopped responding to the coach, he means that the star players quit on the coach. No coach ever got fired because the 4th line didn't like him. Too bad for Boudreau, I'm not really a fan of his but he tried to get the team to play defence once he realized that they'll never win in the playoffs with a 'run n gun' approach. In response his $6.7M man becomes a healthy scratch and his $10M man is playing way below par. Dale Hunter won't face a similar fate without a major overhaul in on-ice personnel.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Semin is a goner soon, that's certain but both him and Chokevechkin (yes he's got that nickname on this side of the Atlantic as well) could play for twice their salaries in the KHL, there are MEGABUCKS on offer there for the right players.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
Trade Ovechkin And Semin?
Really?
Semin will be moved sooner or later - if he didn't like life under Boudreau, he's going to hate it under Hunter. I think he needs a change of scenery anyway. And Ovechkin, imo he's already on the downslide - 65 goals in 07-08, but since then, 56, 50, 32, and on pace for ~30 this year. Living in DC I watch just about every Caps game, and (again imo) he just doesn't have the jump that he used to have, he was 20 or so pounds overweight for much of last year, and he spends much of the game now hanging around the blueline, like Jagr did during his Caps days. Could just be signs of a player who's frustrated, true, but I really do think his best days are already behind him.

It'll be interesting to see how he responds to Hunter, and more interestingly, what'll happen if he doesn't rebound - how long would a team pay $10 million a year for a 30-goal 70-point guy? His no-trade clause doesn't kick in until 2014, and while they won't be trading him anytime soon, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he's moved before the no-trade kicks in. If they can find someone to take on that salary, of course.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
Trade Ovechkin And Semin?
Really?
Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that. Semin for sure, but who's going to take a talented but lazy player with that massive salary, especially if he is linked to problems in the dressing room? Not an easy guy to move. Mike Green would be a more likely candidate, it would be a major move and he would bring in good assets in return. Maybe Backstrom for the same reasons, although I like his play more so than the other stars. They're not trading Ovechkin. He is essentially immune to trade with his giant contract, and he may have a no trade clause in any event. Besides, he's the meal ticket and McPhee remembers life before Ovechkin and the difference in gate receipts. Bottom line is, this team has to win, and soon. They have already handed out huge salaries, brought in good role players, addressed their goaltending, and now fired the coach. The next move for any GM who wants to save his own skin is to move some key personnel and change the culture of the team. Of course, a few wins would prevent anything further from happening.

I see VeloCity had already answered the no-trade question. Thanks for that info.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
crosbys is doing good, good news(for me :S)... Iginla has 2 goals recently and koivu has started getting me more points(especially short handed ones) things are looking a bit better for my fantasy team... Steve ott has been great (in fantasy terms) this season, game winning goals, short handed points and a lot of penalty minutes, my new hero..

what do you guys think about mike smith at phoenix, I am thinking of dropping pavelec for him, pavelec is on bizzare form and smith seems to be doing well, but is he first choice? maybe phoenix will go bad soon too, might not be worth it

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
The Capitals must stop turning over the puck in their defensive zone.
Losses of 7-1, 6-3, 5-1 were mostly due to sloppy play in their own end.
It appears to me ever since Boudreau asked Ovechkin to tone down his physical play that his point production started to suffer. Reducing his ice time also didn't help the matter. Ovechkin's natural style of play is physical and aggressive. He used to run people over while carrying the puck and score, or make a timely pass. He's the type of player that thrives on 20 plus minutes of ice time a game. As of late, he's been playing 16-17 mins. a game. He could easily play an additional 3 or 4 shifts.
It's my view Semin is probably the Caps' most talented all around player. Yes, at the moment he he has taken too many penalties, half of them suspect calls by the referee. However, the Caps new coach is familiar with the penalty bit.
Semin, Ovechkin and Backstrom have rekindled my interest in hockey. They are skilled skaters and play makers, entertaining to watch.
I think it would be foolish to consider trading any of these guys.
The oft injured Mike Green, arguably their best defenseman, when he is injured, he is out 10 to 12 games at a time.
You can be the best guy on the team, but if you're hurt, you are not much help.
As to the captaincy. The GM says Ovechkin will continue to wear the "C".
In my opinion, I think the coach should have the players elect who their captain should be.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
What are the criteria for goaltenders in your fantasy league? Points for wins only, or do they earn more for shutouts and other statistics?
wins, save percentage and goals agaisnt average... shut outs aswell :S... hopefully you can see here how it works

88008156.png

goalies are pretty important and it is a disaster if they get pulled mid game becuase the gaa goes up to 20 :S... and most have my guys have been on terrible form for everything except some good games by bryzaglov...

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
It appears to me ever since Boudreau asked Ovechkin to tone down his physical play that his point production started to suffer. Reducing his ice time also didn't help the matter. Ovechkin's natural style of play is physical and aggressive. He used to run people over while carrying the puck and score, or make a timely pass. He's the type of player that thrives on 20 plus minutes of ice time a game. As of late, he's been playing 16-17 mins. a game. He could easily play an additional 3 or 4 shifts.
Ovechkin just doesn't play with the same intensity and spark that he used to, and no coach is going to be able to change that. I don't know if it's because of the new Caps system or if he's just gotten apathetic after signing that huge contract, but I don't see him improving much, if at all, under Hunter, who's even more defense-oriented than Boudreau was.
It's my view Semin is probably the Caps' most talented all around player. Yes, at the moment he he has taken too many penalties, half of them suspect calls by the referee. However, the Caps new coach is familiar with the penalty bit.
One of the ex-Caps said that Semin was the most gifted player he'd ever seen, Ovechkin included, but that he just doesn't care enough. If Kuznetsov develops the way many expect him to - some compare him to Malkin - and makes the team next year and Semin continues to struggle, I think that will definitely be the end of Semin in Washington.
Semin, Ovechkin and Backstrom have rekindled my interest in hockey. They are skilled skaters and play makers, entertaining to watch.
Ironic that Backstrom, the most overlooked of the three, may end up being the most solid over the long term. He's maybe not as flashy as Semin and Ovechkin, but he's consistent, dependable, and rarely gets hurt. He's only going to get better and better. Marcus Johansson is going to be a good one too.
I think it would be foolish to consider trading any of these guys.
The oft injured Mike Green, arguably their best defenseman, when he is injured, he is out 10 to 12 games at a time. You can be the best guy on the team, but if you're hurt, you are not much help.
Green is their best offensive defenseman, but he's a terrible defenseman. Green along with Semin are imo their most moveable assets.

Also wouldn't be too surprised if they end up dealing Neuvirth at some point -Vokoun is the goalie of the moment and Holtby is the goalie of the future, which doesn't leave Neuvirth a spot.

Methinks this thread should be renamed. All Caps and the Chokevechkin's is one name that comes to mind.

What about the Cup-bound Leafs?

Hello? Is anyone there?

Seems that Hunter got off to a shaky start. In the post-game scrum, Hunter attributed Ovechkin's lack of ice-time to penalties in the second period. However, last night the Sportsnet broadcaster noted that the Caps had one minor in the second period.

Memo to Dale: You're not in London anymore. People are paying attention.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
Methinks this thread should be renamed. All Caps and the Chokevechkin's is one name that comes to mind.
I am trying with my fantasy hockey mismanagement and general moaning :S

anyway I have thought of a new plan, I am trying to trade pavelec for pitkanen, pitkanen is handy very bad for +/- but good for penalty minutes and assists and power play points... then I take on scheinnder whilst luongo is still benched hopefully.. or maybe smith..

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
What about the Cup-bound Leafs?
I've been a Leafs fan since I was a kid, and they've been mediocre to bad that entire time. But seems they've finally turned a corner and are for real. Still need some depth up front - can't rely solely on Kessel and Lupul all season and Kulemin isn't producing - and in goal, but they've got a pretty solid defense corps. Lots of rumors that they're in on the Bobby Ryan sweepstakes - they could offer some pretty decent prospects. And Burke drafted Ryan, so he knows him well. Might be a good fit.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I bet those Ryan rumours are legit. Burke loves guys who performed for him elsewhere, he even went to Sweden to try to sign the Sedins on the Maple Laughs.

Palmerq, I was going to suggest Schneider as he'll help you with save %, GAA, and maybe shutouts. Question is, will he get enough games to bring in the wins considering he shares the nets with Luongo? I think the Canucks are going to climb the standings in the next few months and Schneider will get more games in than in previous years. So he might get nearly as many wins as a #1 goaltender on a lesser team. I'd dump Pavelec for him, OP is so inconsistent. Smith isn't a bad option, but you could roll the dice and win big with Schneider. Elliot is another option for you, he seems to have pushed Havlak aside and his team is on a major roll.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Palmerq, I was going to suggest Schneider as he'll help you with save %, GAA, and maybe shutouts. Question is, will he get enough games to bring in the wins considering he shares the nets with Luongo? I think the Canucks are going to climb the standings in the next few months and Schneider will get more games in than in previous years. So he might get nearly as many wins as a #1 goaltender on a lesser team. I'd dump Pavelec for him, OP is so inconsistent. Smith isn't a bad option, but you could roll the dice and win big with Schneider. Elliot is another option for you, he seems to have pushed Havlak aside and his team is on a major roll.

well seeing as i made the league i set it so the team canmake 100 player moves a season and 6 a week, so I like to rotate the smaller potatoes like vrbata and dubinsky hoping i catch their hot streaks and dump em when they are cold other people usually dont sign them so i can take them back later..

Dropped pavelec today but it doesnt register till tomorrow so I took hedberg because I only have bryzaglov playing on friday and I think hedberg has been good and brodeur just let in 6 from 24 shots :S... The after that game I will drop hedberg for schneider.... the toronto goalie is free aswell so even if someone nicks pavelec and schneider doesnt play i can rotate between toronto goalie and phoenix. Pavelec has just been dire

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
and the day I decide to drop pavelec he gets a shut out :S.... but luckily it still counts for me.. Hedberg did pretty good taking over from brodeur aswell who got pulled, brodeur seems to be on bad form recently... I think I will watch the devils tonight they are my east coast team, and I end up watching them the most because of the time difference... Still a canucks and abbotsford heat fan though..

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I think all those years with all those minutes played are finally catching up to Martin Brodeur. 39 years old and he's played so many regular season games each year, add to that several very deep runs into the playoffs where he played every game, and 3 Olympics that extended his season... the man has just played a ton of hockey and I'm not surprised that he's bouncing back so slowly from an injury. One of my all-time favourite goalies, I'd love to see him go out on a high note like a good playoff run this spring and then pack it in.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
unfortunatley by the look of things the devils wont be getting anywhere near the play offs.. Kovalchuk tries but he is not on top form... and the rest of the team............

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Derek Boogaard

The New York Times is running an in-depth, three-part series on the life and career of Derek Boogaard with video and slideshow links. Very poignant and sobering.

Part 1
A Boy Learns to Brawl
On an application for a hockey team in ninth grade, the Boogaards said that Derek had an average grade of 65 percent. They also noted that he was 6 feet 4 inches and 210 pounds.
In many regards, the [Western Hockey League] is the toughest. Not only are franchises stretched 1,500 miles apart in some instances, making travel part of the teenage tribulation, but they also have produced some of hockey’s most notorious enforcers. Veteran executives recall games where the only way to stop the brawls was to shut off the arena lights.

Just 16, [Boogaard] and two friends got into a fight outside a bar. Boogaard later wrote that they beat up seven 30-year-olds. He came home at 2:30 a.m. with no shirt and his body splattered in blood. One eye was black by morning.

He scored only once in 61 games for Prince George in 2000-1.
“Whenever he would score or get a point, they would cheer like it was the greatest thing,” Yet, improbably, Boogaard found himself on the ice during overtime of a playoff game.

“I was standing in front of the net and I turned around and the puck was just sitting there while the goalie thought he had the puck,” Boogaard wrote. “I backhanded it into the net and the game was over. It was an unbelievable feeling. The guys came out of the bench and the place was going nuts. It was the best feeling I had the last 2 years.”

The television announcer called it “a miracle on ice.” It remains a highlight in Prince George hockey history.

TRENDING THREADS