• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hockey

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Luongo's contract is realistically only 6 years, after that his salary diminishes drastically and he'll be too old to play anyway. It is one of those contracts where extra years at low salary are tacked on to reduce the amount applied to the salary cap in each year (5.3 M when his salary is 6.7 M). Still, a big contract for a 33 yr old, but one that a few teams desperate to improve (Tampa & Toronto) might want to take on.

@180mm: Good choice on Coldplay. ;)

@180mm & Squares: Too bad the Nucks went out so quickly. They are my favorite pro hockey team and rank right up there with my Seattle Seahawks, who I suffered along with and supported when their won/lost record was like 4-fer-infinity (or so it seemed). I am not what you'd call a fair weather fan. So my kid has some admitted great memories watching the Hawks play at home. Yours will to no doubt. If Luongo goes though, I'll miss him in the lineup like I missed Hasselbeck this year.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Luongo's contract is realistically only 6 years, after that his salary diminishes drastically and he'll be too old to play anyway. It is one of those contracts where extra years at low salary are tacked on to reduce the amount applied to the salary cap in each year (5.3 M when his salary is 6.7 M). Still, a big contract for a 33 yr old, but one that a few teams desperate to improve (Tampa & Toronto) might want to take on.
Good point. Can't see him in Toronto, though - if he had problems with the pressures of playing in Vancouver, it'll be double in Toronto. Tampa is probably his most likely destination, for both on and off ice reasons.

Not to play homer, but it occurred to me that the Caps might also be a good destination for Luongo, as a replacement for Vokoun (who's a UFA at the end of the season and unlikely to be re-signed). They've got Neuvie and Holtby, but neither of them are quite ready for prime-time just yet (and there's some question as to whether Neuvie will ever be a starter), and the Caps have quite a selection of draft picks and prospects that they can offer in return without having to touch the core, so win-win for both teams. I don't know how much cap space the Caps have - probably mean having to give up a salary somewhere, but there's a chance they're going to lose Semin and Wideman to free agency and I'm thinking that there's a few others who won't be returning next season, so I think they'd be able to fit Luongo's salary.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
What an absolutely pathetic penalty call that was. Is this the same refereeing crew as in game one of PIT-PHI series by any chance??? :mad::mad::mad:

EDIT: WELL, **** you suck on that, refs

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Recognize b!tches!

Caps win. Caps win. Theeeeeeeeee Caps win.
Glad that the Caps won but happier that the Bruins were knocked out. There's just something about these Bruins that I can't stand.

Interesting night tomorrow - two game 7s. Be almost as happy to see the Sens upset the Rangers.

And if there were any lingering doubt, Luongo's days in Van are done:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394290

And apparently Toronto is on that list.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
VeloCity said:
And if there were any lingering doubt, Luongo's days in Van are done:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394290

And apparently Toronto is on that list.

Well, if that's the move he is going to make, then his career is as good as over now. I wonder how much cap room the Leafs have though, I mean they've recently signed Mihail Goddamn Grabovski to 5.5 mil/year contract ffs.

BTW this is probably my favourite (other than the OT goal) moment of the whole BOS-WAS game. This Holtby kid is something else, I think he has a real chance to be the next great one in the NHL. I'm talking Roy - Brodeaur kinda great

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Word on the street is that Luongo has formally requested a trade.

Some speculation as to his possible destination (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=44075&blogger_id=1 From Eklund at HB who is notoriously wrong about nearly everything, so take it with a grain of salt):

"*Florida. Yes Ironic as it might be, and depending on what happens two nights from now...
*Tampa. A team who truly could benefit from Luongo's game because there was a time when Luongo was lights out when he got tons of shots on him...something he hasn't seen in Vancouver.
*Chicago. Crawford is a strong goalie, but not the answer. However, I can't imagine Vancouver moving Luongo to the hated Hawks unless they were blown away by the offer.
*NJ. Yes, NJ. I talked to a source at length yesterday about this. You heard it here first.
*Toronto. Something you didn't hear here first is Luongo tied to the Leafs. However, while I include them on this early list I truly don't buy it. I am reporting a rumor here, but talking to my sources I trust I would say the Leafs are looking elsewhere.
*Detroit. There is not a team in the NHL who will be more interesting this summer or more active than the Wings. Promise you that. Howard has been good at times, but questions remain.
*Ottawa. Hard to look at right now with Anderson standing on his head, but Luongo has some major fans in high places in Ottawa.
*Washington. Same story here with Holtby. If the Caps lose game 7 there could be major changes I am told...and the Canucks may get blown away by the Caps in need of a major splash as well."

I would add maybe Columbus to that list as part of a package for Rick Nash perhaps? The Nucks were rumored to be interested before the trade deadline, adding Luongo to the mix could be the seller for the Jackets. Course, entirely dependent on which teams are on Luongo's list.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
In the paper today it looks like toronto is a very possible destination apprently they have one of his old coaches who luongo is very fond of and the shortlist that luongo will present to the canucks will include toronto on it :S so maybe he is off there.. Heard that schneider might be getting offered around 4 million :S I am not so sure this is a good idea, he seems pretty good but he has had his moments and he seems to be being potrayed as some form of saviour, I have a feeling cory might get eaten alive by the press and fans quite quickly, hopefully not though

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
devils and phoenix leading 3-1 in the series I am happy, I hope they are in the stanely cup final but i think LA are going to win it by the look of things 4-0 v saint louis and beating the canucks easily :S hats off to them

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone think Washington have a chance today?
Missed going to a party just to watch this.
Hoping for another mad-man performance from Holtby.
Either way, thinking the game will be good, and hoping for Capitals to come though with a win

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Defence rules today's game. Not an offensive team left in the mix. LA - NY would be the NHL's wet dream, they wouldn't care what kind of boring hockey was on display so long as the two biggest markets in the continent went head to head.

Anyone else getting tired of Tortorella's antics? And he had the nerve to call another organization arrogant.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Defence rules today's game. Not an offensive team left in the mix. LA - NY would be the NHL's wet dream, they wouldn't care what kind of boring hockey was on display so long as the two biggest markets in the continent went head to head.
LA's a pretty good offensive team, but a NY-LA final is such a cliche. Sounds like the NBA, not the NHL. Boring.

At this point I'd just prefer to see this season be over and done with and then wait in barely suppressed anticipation for next October when the Leafs will begin their decade of domination.

Anyone else getting tired of Tortorella's antics?
Yep. Like Don Cherry, there's a point where a "character" just becomes a cartoon.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Anyway, I suppose we should go through the motions and do final predictions.

LA-Pho - LA in 5
NYR-NJ - NJ in 7

Stanley Cup

LA-NJ - NJ in 6

Bleh. I suppose it would be nice to see Martin Brodeur win one more cup and Kovalchuk get some revenge for all the underacheiver crap he's taken since being traded to NJ, but man...just zero interest in any of those teams left.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
LA's a pretty good offensive team, but a NY-LA final is such a cliche. Sounds like the NBA, not the NHL. Boring.

At this point I'd just prefer to see this season be over and done with and then wait in barely suppressed anticipation for next October when the Leafs will begin their decade of domination.

Yep. Like Don Cherry, there's a point where a "character" just becomes a cartoon.

Burkie, is that you?

LA has so many great offensive players, but they played Sutterball when Darryl took over and they ended up with the 2nd lowest goals for per game. Also got the 2nd lowest goals against per game, which tells you which end of the rink they were concerned about. I watched them in person once this year and couldn't believe how disinterested in offence they were. I got more entertainment out of Sutter's 20 year old $150 suit than I did out of his team.

Good comparison with Cherry. But at least Cherry is playing a character (to some degree), Tortorella seems to actually think that people pay $200 to come and watch his brilliance.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
icebreaker said:
Now THAT is funny. I almost choked on my coffee.
You heard it here first. Once the Leafs get just a few more pieces, the rest of you are toast. Toast, I tell you. Yeah, ok, sure, we've been saying that since what, 1967 or so? Well maybe not me cause I wasn't born yet but this time it's true. It really is. Just you wait. The rest of the league may as well just hand the Leafs the cup next year and not bother to waste everyone's time.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Burkie, is that you?

LA has so many great offensive players, but they played Sutterball when Darryl took over and they ended up with the 2nd lowest goals for per game. Also got the 2nd lowest goals against per game, which tells you which end of the rink they were concerned about. I watched them in person once this year and couldn't believe how disinterested in offence they were. I got more entertainment out of Sutter's 20 year old $150 suit than I did out of his team.
True, but they've picked it up a notch in the playoffs, with Brown and Kopitar in the top 5 in scoring and Richards just outside the top 10. But Jeff Carter, though - what's up with him? Seems like he's completely lost his scoring touch ever since leaving Philly.

Good comparison with Cherry. But at least Cherry is playing a character (to some degree), Tortorella seems to actually think that people pay $200 to come and watch his brilliance.
Good point about Cherry, he does play up and revel in his cartoonishness. Tortorella is just an ***.

TRENDING THREADS