• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 153 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I can’t imagine so, since lots of NZ sports use a majority black uniform - including the national cycling team. I suppose it could be to differentiate it from the national team? The NZ cycling federation uses a black fern on a white background as their logo, so it could be to match that as well?
Black jerseys don't stand out well, and are associated with coming last.

I would also think that the January date makes more sense, but when it was moved to February (in 2020), they said they did so to get a better starting field:

The shift in date from the first weekend in January to mid-February comes after extensive consultation with professional and domestic riders, coaches and officials, and is fully supported by the Road and Track Council.

“This is a great step for riders like myself, with the professional season now being so long. Preparation for a National Championship so early in the New Year wasn’t ideal, early January is the only time we get to spend with our families and friends in New Zealand which is more important than anything so we [World Tour riders] are all behind this change. It’s great to see a new host step up as well,” said Team Jumbo-Visma professional, George Bennett.

The new date gives domestic and world tour riders the opportunity to stretch their legs and gain race fitness through competing in key national and UCI events that take place in January across New Zealand and Australia, before contesting national titles.

“Ultimately, we anticipate the new date will enable the strongest possible field of primed riders to be on the start line for Elite Roads. Partnering with RIDE Festival allows us to host the Vantage Elite & U23 Road National Championships as part of a wider celebration of cycling that connects with the community and inspires people to get out and ride their bikes more often,” said Landry.

For this year, Corbin Strong, Laurence Pithie, George Bennett, George Jackson and Aaron Gate are among the names on the start list, so it seems like it's going okay (although Fisher-Black, Bevin and Dion Smith are missing).

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
I would also think that the January date makes more sense, but when it was moved to February (in 2020), they said they did so to get a better starting field:

The shift in date from the first weekend in January to mid-February comes after extensive consultation with professional and domestic riders, coaches and officials, and is fully supported by the Road and Track Council.

“This is a great step for riders like myself, with the professional season now being so long. Preparation for a National Championship so early in the New Year wasn’t ideal, early January is the only time we get to spend with our families and friends in New Zealand which is more important than anything so we [World Tour riders] are all behind this change. It’s great to see a new host step up as well,” said Team Jumbo-Visma professional, George Bennett.

The new date gives domestic and world tour riders the opportunity to stretch their legs and gain race fitness through competing in key national and UCI events that take place in January across New Zealand and Australia, before contesting national titles.

“Ultimately, we anticipate the new date will enable the strongest possible field of primed riders to be on the start line for Elite Roads. Partnering with RIDE Festival allows us to host the Vantage Elite & U23 Road National Championships as part of a wider celebration of cycling that connects with the community and inspires people to get out and ride their bikes more often,” said Landry.

For this year, Corbin Strong, Laurence Pithie, George Bennett, George Jackson and Aaron Gate are among the names on the start list, so it seems like it's going okay (although Fisher-Black, Bevin and Dion Smith are missing).

If they really want their best riders to fight for the titles, then it's a bit weird, that they held their criterium championship races last week instead of having them in the week of the road races and time trials.

Reactions: Sandisfan