• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Disappointed that MS choked the life out of the race, but fair play - they played their cards well. Could have been a different story if the chase was a touch more organised, that was a huge sprint from McCarthy.

Shame Durbridge crashed, he looked crazy strong again. Awesome ride from Troy Herfoss too! Great to see a superbike rider in the mix until the last lap.

Will be interesting to see if Edmondson rides the TDU, as MS are usually conservative in placing young riders in that race - It's also interesting that Edmondson only had around 15 race days after the Giro in 2017 - I suspect MS burnt him out early in the season and allowed him to rest and train for the second half of the year.

Re:

Netserk said:
Well, at least you have access to internet streams (of dubious quality) :p

*I* had to miss one race entirely :razz:
Yes, I hear you. The quality of some streams can be patchy, and infested with ads, not to mention being careful not to click in some places. A reliable VPN can help, but usually costs money and can be slow as well. I am sitting in Taiwan right now and tried to watch via VPN, but so slow that I gave up. I doubt that the TDU will be any better in regard to streams.

Re:

Netserk said:
Oooh, sounds great. A shame McCarthy didn't take it. He will get a win in TDU, I hope.

Did Dennis work for Richie, or why was he not there in the end?

Dennis had a little go with 2.5 laps to go then got dropped. Scotson and Gerrans got dropped the same lap on the climb after being the only ones pushing it on the climb for several laps. Was the most orderly RR I can remember though so when Porte took the climb on the final lap nothing really happened.

Re: Re:

Ferminal said:
Netserk said:
Oooh, sounds great. A shame McCarthy didn't take it. He will get a win in TDU, I hope.

Dennis had a little go with 2.5 laps to go then got dropped. Scotson and Gerrans got dropped the same lap on the climb after being the only ones pushing it on the climb for several laps. Was the most orderly RR I can remember though so when Porte took the climb on the final lap nothing really happened.
Thanks. Maybe Richie ain't flying quite like a year ago.

Netserk said:
Ferminal said:
Netserk said:

He’s not, but that may not be a bad thing considering his main target is in July. Considering what Porte is coming back from, it was a decent showing.

Having watched the race closely, the only real Australian threats at the TDU look to be McCarthy and Haas. Ewan also climbed surprisingly well too, whence the negative racing from Mitchelton Scott

Netserk said:
Ferminal said:
Netserk said:

A fit and in-form Porte should finish within 45 seconds of Dennis in the ITT - I thought two months ago that Porte was a certainty to win GC at the TDU - He is still the favorite, though others will give themselves a chance.

Netserk said:
Ferminal said:
Netserk said:

Not surprising with the lack of racing since July. Has to be some doubts he will smash it on Willunga. He did finish in the sprint group after a long attack on the final climb. He looks good but not as good as last January........so far.

BMC rode possibly the stupidest race I've ever seen from a single team: use all their horsepower (only 4 riders right?) to bring back the days break, and then watch as Porte rides tempo up the final climb, Ewan in tow, well after the winning break had gone.

To be fair Porte did put in a late dig, but geez what breathlessly idiotic tactics.

Good win by Edmonson. I think he'll take a few big(ger) wins when he matures - he's got the goods to win in a few different ways. Could potentially be the best Aust cobbled classics guy since Anderson. As for Durbridge - looked super strong, shame he went down.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
I don't really care about the lack of streams for Australian races (TDU is being shown on National Danish television), but what's with your habit of having your races in the middle of our night? Jeez, some of us actually need to sleep! :p

The TDU usually plays for me around 11:00 pm, which is great cause I'm a night owl anyway. :) I actually wish all races where in the same time zone as the TdU....I have less time to watch European races.