• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

swuzzlebubble said:
movingtarget said:
Sagan looked pretty spent after the stage, tomorrow may be too much for him. Porte will have to do what he did last year, to win the race. Not sure he has that sort of form at the moment.
So what's your call?

I actually thought that Porte was more than 14 seconds down but he's on the same time as Ulissi and Gesink. Impey is the only real danger by the look of it and if Porte can do his usual final km on Willunga it's hard to see Impey being close enough if Porte wins the stage convincingly. Only Porte being worse than his usual TDU condition probably can beat him now. Impey needed the win bonus today and will probably need some more bonuses tomorrow. I think Porte has just saved himself for Willunga and why wouldn't he ? I think Sagan might hit the wall tomorrow the second time up Willunga especially if it's still hot. If Impey does better than expected tomorrow and Porte doesn't do his usual ride then Impey should win the race on the final day re bonuses.

Holy hell Sagan is amazing. I stood to win big on Impey but you just have to appreciate that. To hang onto that hard pace uphill, then attack hard inside 3km, get caught, and still win the sprint ... that was amazing but because it's Sagan and we expect it, we shrug it off and move on because it's become normal for Sagan. When he's done that win probably won't be in his top 100 rides, yet it was phenomenal.

Sagan has become seriously under appreciated.

Re:

The Barb said:
Holy hell Sagan is amazing. I stood to win big on Impey but you just have to appreciate that. To hang onto that hard pace uphill, then attack hard inside 3km, get caught, and still win the sprint ... that was amazing but because it's Sagan and we expect it, we shrug it off and move on because it's become normal for Sagan. When he's done that win probably won't be in his top 100 rides, yet it was phenomenal.

Sagan has become seriously under appreciated.

I don't think that's true tbh, everyone knows Sagan is the best rider in the peloton. It's just that we've all become used to it by now and don't repeat it every single time he wins.

Riders who have come closest to Porte on Willunga:
Henao, 6 secs down
Woods, 9 secs down
Dennis, 9 secs down

There is no way any riders in the current peloton will lose less than 10 secs to Porte. Definitely not Impey, he'll lose 20 secs. Same with McCarty.

If Ion Izagirre is the shape, I see him as the biggest treat to Porte. The only rider with enough raw power to stay within the 10 secs mark of Porte.

Remember, OWH is not really a punchy climb. It flattens out in the end which make it harder for riders such as Pozzovivo and Ulissi who are better when the last K is really steep.

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
I think everybody is discarting Rui Costa for tomorrow stage. The guy was tremendously strong in the beginning of last season and with the changes on the team this might be one of the few oppurtunities he will have to ride for himself in the big world tour stage. I think he deffinetly should be one of the favourites.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
Why the **** do you organise a race in Australia in the middle of summer?
Same with the Australian Open.

Well they are at the mercy of the weather. Then you have tourist season, the school holidays and so on. Scheduling or changing it now would be a problem for both. At the moment the Australian races are over before the start of the European season which is more practical for the teams of course. Anywhere else on the calendar it would clash with other stage races that are better prep for the grand tours. Spring would be ideal after the Vuelta but then you also have the Worlds and other one day races and would the teams want to go to Australia at the very end of the season when quite a few riders have already finished their season ? Before the Giro you have TA, TOC and Paris Nice and before the Tour you have the Dauphine and the TDS. Between the Tour and the Vuelta you have the Tour of Poland and the ENECO so where would it fit ? You also have the Tour of Turkey and the Spanish stage races to fit around. As for the tennis they need to play more indoor matches but they don't have enough indoor courts although Federer said it is even hotter playing at Dubai ! it would make more sense to play the bulk of the tennis at night time but they would need more courts and also weather delays cause problems once again. Neither event is an easy fix.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
So all those who complain about Gerro sucking wheels must have pause for thought after last night.....he rode on front for a good time for Porte
Wow, yeah... Honestly, he knows he can't win big races anymore so looks like he has zeroed in on becoming one of Porte's trustworthy domestiques. The guy that Porte doesn't want to go without and on top of that, he is Australian which certainly also helps. Its a good strategy to get one last hurrah at the Tour even though he probably isn't good enough at this point.

TRENDING THREADS