Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.
 
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.
According to the website it's a nice downhill finish for the sprinters -
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event files/stages/maps/2019 event/tdu_2019_stage 3_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

and http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/mens/stages/stage-3
 
Aug 18, 2017
982
0
0
Race Director, Mike Turtur has confirmed the distance of the Novatech Stage 2 Norwood to Angaston has been reduced by 26.9 km due to extreme heat.
 
Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
Velolover2 said:
Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.
According to the website it's a nice downhill finish for the sprinters -
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event files/stages/maps/2019 event/tdu_2019_stage 3_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

and http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/mens/stages/stage-3
Thank you! It might key stage for those who want to win the overall.

Porte could be in a vulnerable and isolated with constant attacks from the other GC guys.
 
I actually had a bit of a thought during the coverage of The Down Under Classic this morning; why not just have every stage in the (local) evening? Could even bring out even bigger crowds, as those who have to work during the day will be free to go watch the race.









I also have a personal reason for liking this idea. Obviously I like my own idea…
 
Re:

RedheadDane said:
I actually had a bit of a thought during the coverage of The Down Under Classic this morning; why not just have every stage in the (local) evening? Could even bring out even bigger crowds, as those who have to work during the day will be free to go watch the race.









I also have a personal reason for liking this idea. Obviously I like my own idea…
everyone drives to work here, peak hour would be absolute disaster
 
Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
Robert5091 said:
Velolover2 said:
Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.
According to the website it's a nice downhill finish for the sprinters -
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event files/stages/maps/2019 event/tdu_2019_stage 3_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

and http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/mens/stages/stage-3
Thank you! It might key stage for those who want to win the overall.

Porte could be in a vulnerable and isolated with constant attacks from the other GC guys.
Last year the finale was harder with a longer climb before the final bumps and there still was a 30+ men sprint, the only thing GC relevant that i can see realistically happen is some fast GC rider like Ulissi snatching bonus seconds, unless heat will take a toll or something crazy in the race happens.

 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
Hope all the riders involved in those crashes made it OK.

It would be heartbreaking to get seriously injured in some meaningless, but mandatory parade-style crit event.
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
Re: Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Jancouver said:
Hope all the riders involved in those crashes made it OK.

It would be heartbreaking to get seriously injured in some meaningless, but mandatory parade-style crit event.
It's not really January unless Jancouver re-appears from his den complaining about the Tour Down Under. :lol:
OMG, year after year I pray that TLMRP will skip this "Willunga Hill" race because it's getting unbearable around here between January and July listening to all the nonsense about Porte's bad luck and his chances finally winning the TdF etc. :cool:
 
Re:

search said:
in total, this year's stage has more than double the amount of climbing though. So it's hard to compare
Yeah, but with a circuit it's likely they'll softpedal it until the final lap. IMHO a longer climb near the end is way better to harden a race than a rolling circuit, especially in a pretty short stage. But probably the organizers prefer the circuit to favour a late attack with some seconds on a large group rather than a real selection.
 
Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Jancouver said:
Hope all the riders involved in those crashes made it OK.

It would be heartbreaking to get seriously injured in some meaningless, but mandatory parade-style crit event.
It's not really January unless Jancouver re-appears from his den complaining about the Tour Down Under. :lol:
OMG, year after year I pray that TLMRP will skip this "Willunga Hill" race because it's getting unbearable around here between January and July listening to all the nonsense about Porte's bad luck and his chances finally winning the TdF etc. :cool:
He needs to accept that a TdF win is never coming and focus on the Giro and maybe even winning Liege Schleck style.
 
Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
Velolover2 said:
Robert5091 said:
Velolover2 said:
Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.
According to the website it's a nice downhill finish for the sprinters -
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event files/stages/maps/2019 event/tdu_2019_stage 3_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

and http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/mens/stages/stage-3
Thank you! It might key stage for those who want to win the overall.

Porte could be in a vulnerable and isolated with constant attacks from the other GC guys.
Last year the finale was harder with a longer climb before the final bumps and there still was a 30+ men sprint, the only thing GC relevant that i can see realistically happen is some fast GC rider like Ulissi snatching bonus seconds, unless heat will take a toll or something crazy in the race happens.

There are twice as many vertical meters this year. It's like about 3500m of altitude. And the 3 main climbs should be shorter, but much steeper than the hill of last year. One of them with double digit gradients. It's a shame that there is no profile of the circuit.

On paper, it looks like a Sagan stage. But it could be too hard for him with his current weight. It's a course that suits the attackers. But if it comes down to a sprint, Ulissi, McCarthy and Haas are perhaps bigger favorites than Sagan.
 
Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
Nirvana said:
Velolover2 said:
Robert5091 said:
Velolover2 said:
Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.
According to the website it's a nice downhill finish for the sprinters -
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event files/stages/maps/2019 event/tdu_2019_stage 3_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

and http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/mens/stages/stage-3
Thank you! It might key stage for those who want to win the overall.

Porte could be in a vulnerable and isolated with constant attacks from the other GC guys.
Last year the finale was harder with a longer climb before the final bumps and there still was a 30+ men sprint, the only thing GC relevant that i can see realistically happen is some fast GC rider like Ulissi snatching bonus seconds, unless heat will take a toll or something crazy in the race happens.

There are twice as many vertical meters this year. It's like about 3500m of altitude. And the 3 main climbs should be shorter, but much steeper than the hill of last year. One of them with double digit gradients. It's a shame that there is no profile of the circuit.

On paper, it looks like a Sagan stage. But it could be too hard for him with his current weight. It's a course that suits the attackers. But if it comes down to a sprint, Ulissi, McCarthy and Haas are perhaps bigger favorites than Sagan.
If Sagan is serious about racing Amstel this is the kind of stage he needs to be able to survive. He'll try and be there at the end, even if it's to support McCarthy
 
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Velolover2 said:
Velolover2 said:
Robert5091 said:
Velolover2 said:
Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.
According to the website it's a nice downhill finish for the sprinters -
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event files/stages/maps/2019 event/tdu_2019_stage 3_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

and http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/mens/stages/stage-3
Thank you! It might key stage for those who want to win the overall.

Porte could be in a vulnerable and isolated with constant attacks from the other GC guys.
Last year the finale was harder with a longer climb before the final bumps and there still was a 30+ men sprint, the only thing GC relevant that i can see realistically happen is some fast GC rider like Ulissi snatching bonus seconds, unless heat will take a toll or something crazy in the race happens.

There are twice as many vertical meters this year. It's like about 3500m of altitude. And the 3 main climbs should be shorter, but much steeper than the hill of last year. One of them with double digit gradients. It's a shame that there is no profile of the circuit.

On paper, it looks like a Sagan stage. But it could be too hard for him with his current weight. It's a course that suits the attackers. But if it comes down to a sprint, Ulissi, McCarthy and Haas are perhaps bigger favorites than Sagan.
If Sagan is serious about racing Amstel this is the kind of stage he needs to be able to survive. He'll try and be there at the end, even if it's to support McCarthy[/quote]


Sagan did well at Amstel last year, so it's possible he can do well there. It's more Fleche Wallone and LBL that are more questionable.
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Sagan did well at Amstel last year, so it's possible he can do well there. It's more Fleche Wallone and LBL that are more questionable.
Fleche Wallone no chance he can win.

LBL and Amstel are not impossible I think.

For LBL he might have to loose a couple of kilos though. Maybe he will give it a shot once or twice before he ends his career, even though he should have probably tried it earlier in his career (maybe he did? But cant remember).

He has already won both Flanders and PR, maybe he just wants to add more wins in those. MSR he has a possibility to win every year (and probably should have won it already).
 
Re: Re:

Salvarani said:
Koronin said:
Sagan did well at Amstel last year, so it's possible he can do well there. It's more Fleche Wallone and LBL that are more questionable.
Fleche Wallone no chance he can win.

LBL and Amstel are not impossible I think.

For LBL he might have to loose a couple of kilos though. Maybe he will give it a shot once or twice before he ends his career, even though he should have probably tried it earlier in his career (maybe he did? But cant remember).

He has already won both Flanders and PR, maybe he just wants to add more wins in those. MSR he has a possibility to win every year (and probably should have won it already).
He will make his debut in LBL this year, so no, he hasn't tried it yet. Amstel is definitely possible. He should have won it already in 2012, and if he hadn't been too afraid of Valverde, he would have won last year as well.

The fact that he didn't win MSR in 2012, 2013 and/or 2017 is to me the most annoying thing about his career.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY