• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
StryderHells said:
Jancouver said:
Over the years, I said it million times, but year after year, you can tell it's a mandatory race as the riders are not even interested being in the break ... it a shame they are required to participate as there are tons of smaller teams that would love to race here

Edit: The organizers just realized the race sucks ... because it's too hot and the race has been shortened ... good move by the organizers

I actually think the teams and riders enjoy racing down here but from reading the posts you've made about the TDU over the years this is a useless argument to have with you :D

It was a good move shortening today's stage, 41c with the winds is damn tough conditions.
Don't worry about Jancouver. January is the only month that he posts now, just to remind us all how much he dislikes the TDU. He's been doing it for a few years now.

Somebody has to do it. The only reason this travesty of a race is around is to give the Aussies some free wins :eek:

Der Effe said:
42x16ss said:
StryderHells said:
Jancouver said:
Over the years, I said it million times, but year after year, you can tell it's a mandatory race as the riders are not even interested being in the break ... it a shame they are required to participate as there are tons of smaller teams that would love to race here

Edit: The organizers just realized the race sucks ... because it's too hot and the race has been shortened ... good move by the organizers

I actually think the teams and riders enjoy racing down here but from reading the posts you've made about the TDU over the years this is a useless argument to have with you :D

It was a good move shortening today's stage, 41c with the winds is damn tough conditions.
Don't worry about Jancouver. January is the only month that he posts now, just to remind us all how much he dislikes the TDU. He's been doing it for a few years now.

Somebody has to do it. The only reason this travesty of a race is around is to give the Aussies some free wins :eek:

Right because ALL the riders (besides Aussies) would rather race in Europe right now in the winter.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
TDU is okay, it just shouldn't be WT.

But then again, no race should...

Correct.

Just to make it clear, I have nothing against Aussie people or this race specifically. I'm just pissed at UCI for making this race, or any race for that matter a mandatory event. No team should be forced to travel and participate in any race because that is degrading the race.

Der Effe said:
42x16ss said:
StryderHells said:
Jancouver said:

I'm sure that the likes of Greipel, Ulissi, LL Sanchez, Slagter, Thomas, de Ghendt, Jan Bakelandts, Richie Porte and others might not agree. Sure, it's not Paris Nice or the Dauphine, but does it need to be?

Jancouver said:
Netserk said:

Correct.

Just to make it clear, I have nothing against Aussie people or this race specifically. I'm just pissed at UCI for making this race, or any race for that matter a mandatory event. No team should be forced to travel and participate in any race because that is degrading the race.
THAT is a fair point, it's just that you've not always been so constructive in your criticism of the TDU in the past. I'd like to see a structure where the maximum number of Div 1/2 teams allowed to a race be kept but with each level of team getting preference on places depending on their level.

Ie: WT teams get first choice, PCT get next choice on remaining places, then CT (unless it's a WT level race).

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Have no idea why you would criticise a race that has big crowds, rock solid Government support and which dominates the media - It's such a bad idea.

Eurosports doesnt cover it. It hardly dominates the media - anywhere.
Even in Australia, only people in Adelaide realise its on as the Melbourne tennis tournament dominates the sporting media.

Re:

yaco said:
Have no idea why you would criticise a race that has big crowds, rock solid Government support and which dominates the media - It's such a bad idea.

I agree, but I'm just not that thrilled about an WT race being the season opener.

Also it's no longer 6 sprint stages, it has become ok regarding entertainment. Nothing stellar, but it's January.

p.s. Jancouver is quite an troll, better ignore him. Specially in January, but my suggestion is the whole year ;)
Allthough his last comment actually was constructive. hooray!

42x16ss said:
Jancouver said:
Netserk said:

Correct.

THAT is a fair point, it's just that you've not always been so constructive in your criticism of the TDU in the past. I'd like to see a structure where the maximum number of Div 1/2 teams allowed to a race be kept but with each level of team getting preference on places depending on their level.

Ie: WT teams get first choice, PCT get next choice on remaining places, then CT (unless it's a WT level race).

Totally agree with that, maybe the race wold be better served with the rules that are being used for the new WT races in with a certain percentage of WT are in the race and then the rest is made up of PCT and for the sake of local racing some CT teams,It would be good to see IsoWhey Sports in this race. This could also benefit the Sun Tour with some stronger PCT squads coming down for the TDU and then sticking around for Cuddles race and the Sun Tour.

Orbit501 said:
Pricey_sky said:
Do we have a profile for the final climb today? I've seen a few people mention its quite a steep finish.

1.2 km @9% apparently. Flattens out for last 300m.

Same finish that Rohan Dennis won on in 2015

It's a harder lead in to the finish than it was when they last used Paracombe, instead of descending Gorge Rd then up Paracombe this time they are climbing Gorge Rd then climb Paracombe. I'd expect things to heat up just before Gorge Rd to try and get rid of or weaken Orica/Gerrans.