• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Time/Gap
1. 32 Michael FREIBERG 4h44:48
2. 20 Chris HARPER +1
3. 4 Cameron MEYER +1
4. 2 Luke DURBRIDGE +1:23
5. 23 Dylan SUNDERLAND +3:24
6. 19 Scott BOWDEN +3:24
7. 113 Mark O'BRIEN +3:24
8. 8 Lucas HAMILTON +3:24
9. 9 Nicholas SCHULTZ +3:29
10. 12 Jai HINDLEY +4:16
11. 40 Conor MURTAGH +4:36
12. 98 Drew MOREY +4:39
13. 21 Jason LEA +5:27
14. 152 Reece TUCKNOTT +5:27
15. 122 Brendan JOHNSTON +6:14
16. 13 Michael STORER +6:55
17. 94 Nathan ELLIOTT +6:55
18. 99 Ben HILL +7:16
19. 96 Cyrus MONK +7:16
20. 18 Adam HANSEN +7:19
21. 14 James WHELAN +7:40
22. 5 Damien HOWSON +9:26
23. 49 Liam WHITE +9:30
24. 22 Lionel MAWDITT +11:45
25. 29 Alistair DONOHOE +12:42

O'Connor DNF. He was putting in the most effort in the chase group along with Hindley and Whelan. Hamilton, Schultz and Sunderland all looked strong back there. Race could have played out a number of ways but ultimately I think the strategy for the two big teams was good (guess it has to be when your best riders and the two strongest in the race go to the line in a two-up).

Re:

Ferminal said:
O'Connor DNF. He was putting in the most effort in the chase group along with Hindley and Whelan. Hamilton, Schultz and Sunderland all looked strong back there. Race could have played out a number of ways but ultimately I think the strategy for the two big teams was good (guess it has to be when your best riders and the two strongest in the race go to the line in a two-up).
Sunweb should have shown some guts and worked with Hansen and O'Connor to try and set things up for Hindley who is riding well.

Re: Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Velolover2 said:
Which rider do you think can get closest to Porte on Willunga Hill? The list is now full.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-down-under/2019/gc/startlist
George Bennett and Michael Woods.
I was thinking about three: Bennett, Woods and Poels. All should be able to hang on to Porte but only for a while.

Problem with Willunga Hill is that it's not really a punchy climb. It's not steep or irregular.

It's like the short version of a high cadence climb. Froome, Dumo and Thomas might be the only ones who can hang on to Porte on such a hill.

Re:

yaco said:
Corkscrew Hill on stage 4 will probably be the decisive stage - Porte dominated that stage in 2017.
They didn't do it in 2017, as far as I know. The climb that Porte dominated was the Paracombe one.

I think the Corkscrew road has been done three times. Porte was in the front group in 2016 (10-man sprint won by Gerrans) and in the 12-man group 11 seconds behind Evans in 2014. Geraint Thomas won in 2013, 1 second ahead of Moreno & Hermans and 4 seconds ahead of a 12 man group.

Re: Re:

Squire said:
yaco said:
Corkscrew Hill on stage 4 will probably be the decisive stage - Porte dominated that stage in 2017.
They didn't do it in 2017, as far as I know. The climb that Porte dominated was the Paracombe one.

I think the Corkscrew road has been done three times. Porte was in the front group in 2016 (10-man sprint won by Gerrans) and in the 12-man group 11 seconds behind Evans in 2014. Geraint Thomas won in 2013, 1 second ahead of Moreno & Hermans and 4 seconds ahead of a 12 man group.

Yes it was Paracombe - Still think Corkscrew will be the decisive stage and having Willinga as the last stage should make for more exciting racing.

TRENDING THREADS