• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Jancouver said:
tobydawq said:
Squire said:
What's up with EF? Four guys left behind by the peloton!

Morton punctured with 3.5 kms to go. I don't know about the rest.

Also, an Astana rider crashed quite spectacularly with about 30 kms to go. I wonder why they didn't show that again. It wasn't exactly because there was too much action going on.

No kidding, the flip over the handlebars when he rode off the road?

You are correct, they should have to keep replaying that until the last Km because watching the race was like watching paint dry.

BTW I don't blame the riders for doing nothing while riding in 45C heat and I bet a big chunk of them would prefer not to even be there.

I feel sorry for them, it's like an unfair punishment for being a pro cyclist.
Sure the racing is mostly dull but riders who are able to mostly choose their own schedules keep coming back again and again (such as LL Sanchez, De Ghendt, Gesink, Pozzovivo, Sagan, Greipel - until this year) so the organisers must be doing something right *shrugs*

Everything about this race has already been said.

While the organizers provide a nice hotel and a friendly environment, it does not change that this should not be a mandatory race.

Make it optional, 2.1 race just like Vuelta San Juan in Argentina and you may get six WT teams, just like the Argentinian race.

I look forward to tonight's stage. If they really have crammed 3500 altitude metres into 146 kms, it's the most deceptive stage profile I've ever seen. And then it wouldn't be the classic ridiculous TDU stage. And it might for once be worthwhile to sacrifice sleep. The temperature will even take a dip.

tobydawq said:
ThePirate81 said:
Scarponi said:
Name the first race in Europe that is actually decent to watch.
Trofeo Laigueglia.

Actually, no one really knows about the Mallorcan races. This is the first year they will be televised live (which I assume is what they mean with the involvement of Eurosport). But they certainly sound fun.

Some of us know about the Mallorcan races and they definitely sound like fun. That's one of the road trips for the future.

Jancouver said:
42x16ss said:
Jancouver said:
tobydawq said:
Squire said:

Also, an Astana rider crashed quite spectacularly with about 30 kms to go. I wonder why they didn't show that again. It wasn't exactly because there was too much action going on.

You are correct, they should have to keep replaying that until the last Km because watching the race was like watching paint dry.

BTW I don't blame the riders for doing nothing while riding in 45C heat and I bet a big chunk of them would prefer not to even be there.

Sure the racing is mostly dull but riders who are able to mostly choose their own schedules keep coming back again and again (such as LL Sanchez, De Ghendt, Gesink, Pozzovivo, Sagan, Greipel - until this year) so the organisers must be doing something right *shrugs*

Everything about this race has already been said.

While the organizers provide a nice hotel and a friendly environment, it does not change that this should not be a mandatory race.

Make it optional, 2.1 race just like Vuelta San Juan in Argentina and you may get six WT teams, just like the Argentinian race.
I doubt the UCI will do it though, it's become one of the few profitable races on the calendar. HC would probably be best balance.

Jancouver said:
tobydawq said:
Squire said:

Makes more sense than riding at -10C on iced up roads.

Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
ThePirate81 said:
Scarponi said:
Name the first race in Europe that is actually decent to watch.
Trofeo Laigueglia.

Actually, no one really knows about the Mallorcan races. This is the first year they will be televised live (which I assume is what they mean with the involvement of Eurosport). But they certainly sound fun.

Some of us know about the Mallorcan races and they definitely sound like fun. That's one of the road trips for the future.
you only know about them because Valverde beats up on lesser riders

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

sienna said:
Jancouver said:
tobydawq said:
Squire said:

Oh please. When did I or anyone else suggest that they should be riding at -10C on iced up roads?

Look, if this was not a mandatory race, then kudos to all those that voluntarily showed up to ride at 50C in January, somewhere Down Under.

Same way I'm not suggesting that any team should be obligated to race in California, which, they are not, yet most of them would show up anyway.

drebelo said:
greenedge said:
That was a very good sprint by Bevin, if the group comes back together after Corkscrew and he picks up time bonuses tomorrow he has a very good chance for the GC.
He still needs to hang out to Porte in the willunga though

He lost 17 seconds in 2016 to Richie, and if his form is better he could lose less. That said I expect the other riders (Woods, Poels etc) to also try attack Bevin, which could crack him.

Jancouver said:
sienna said:
Jancouver said:
tobydawq said:
Squire said:

Oh please. When did I or anyone else suggest that they should be riding at -10C on iced up roads?

Look, if this was not a mandatory race, then kudos to all those that voluntarily showed up to ride at 50C in January, somewhere Down Under.

Same way I'm not suggesting that any team should be obligated to race in California, which, they are not, yet most of them would show up anyway.
At certain times in certain races riders are expected to ride in freezing and slippery conditions.
I know what conditions I'd prefer to ride in.
Stick with it dude.

This is one of the races that I probably wouldn't get up in the middle of the night for if it was at a time of the year with other races.
But, hey; you gotta nurse your addiction, and I was getting withdrawal symptoms.
I also wouldn't do it if I actually had a life; last year I didn't watch the week-stages, certain things you shouldn't do when you're (slightly) sleep deprived.

BTW, Jancouver. I agree with you to some extend; no race should be mandatory, not even the TdF.

Jancouver said:
sienna said:
Jancouver said:
tobydawq said:
Squire said:

I can agree with you that no race should be mandatory.

TRENDING THREADS