• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Ferminal said:
He was actually in fourth going into the final corner, but lost the wheel which made it impossible for anyone behind him to get in the top three (Bevin was next in line IIRC, DvP came over him).

it's amazing how much Pozzovivo has improved with his positioning over the past 4-5 years. he used to be one of the worst, now he's actually really good at it.

Corkscrew is 2.5 kms at a little more than 8% average. 500m at 12% is the hardest section.

Is this completely unlikely to be another one for Sagan?

Of course, he said before the race that his shape was worse than previous years. Then again, he said that today, when he had looked well after himself in the first parts of the stage, he was completely in control in the final lap where there were a couple of hard hills.

Of course, today's stage suited him perfectly with respites in between the efforts. But tonight, it's just one (longer) effort.

He will have a descent to play catch-up. I wouldn't put it past him to win again.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Corkscrew is 2.5 kms at a little more than 8% average. 500m at 12% is the hardest section.

Of course, he said before the race that his shape was worse than previous years. Then again, he said that today, when he had looked well after himself in the first parts of the stage, he was completely in control in the final lap where there were a couple of hard hills.

Of course, today's stage suited him perfectly with respites in between the efforts. But tonight, it's just one (longer) effort.

He will have a descent to play catch-up. I wouldn't put it past him to win again.
I think he has no chance. 500m at 12% is pretty serious stuff. When the climbers light it up (which they should, to possibly get rid of Bevin), Sagan will feel the effects of gravity, form or no form. Look at the names who have finished in the front group on this stage previously.

Re: Re:

Squire said:
tobydawq said:

I think he has no chance. 500m at 12% is pretty serious stuff. When the climbers light it up (which they should, to possibly get rid of Bevin), Sagan will feel the effects of gravity, form or no form. Look at the names who have finished in the front group on this stage previously.

I think you're right. But not if he were in top form. Don't forget how he almost climbed Mende as quickly as Alaphilippe in top shape (one kilometer longer, two percentage points steeper than Corkscrew).

Even though he won yesterday, I don't think Sagan is remotely close to peak form. I'd be amazed if he survives Corkscrew.

I expect Woods and Porte to be the strongest but their descending is not strong, so I doubt they could stay away like Evans has done previously. More likely a group of 5-10 comes to the line together. I think Luis Leon Sanchez should be the favourite , but McCarthy, Haas and Poels also good chances.

I'll go with Poels because his finishing sprint is always so underrated.