• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Porte needs 16 seconds on Bevin and 9 seconds on Impey. And even that isn't enough if they finish in the secondary podium spots.

Game over?

Yeh it was Impey coming over for 2nd that got him the win when he had a 14" advantage over Porte who got 8" on the road... so same gap but Impey in 4th does it for him this year which is probably an unlikely scenario given if Impey can hang on to the next group he can get around them as it flattens out.

(Assumes Porte wins solo again, if he goes to the line with company they probably beat him to the line and so finish ahead of him on GC)

Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
yaco said:
It was good to see Ewan show aggression in the finish and he was unlucky to be disqualified. Bevin will find it tough if he starts the stage.

So that's why they wear helmets! :D Hope Bevin's ok - not a good way to start 2019.

"Funny" how quick things can change. I'm sure a few days ago we were all saying he was having a perfect start to the season.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Wonder if Bevin might start tomorrow, regardless of his injuries, just to respect the jersey.
But of course the most important thing is that he respects his body.
Upon crossing the line, Bevin was immediately taken to the race ambulance and transported to hospital for observation, where X-Rays and CT scans fortunately confirmed that there were no fractures, however Bevin sustained multiple contusions and bruised ribs and hip.
Bevin will be observed overnight and will undergo a concussion test on Sunday morning to determine whether he is able to start stage six and attempt to defend his race lead to become the first New Zealander to win the Santos Tour Down Under.
https://cccteam.eu/race-reports/tour-down-under-stage-five-bevin-down-but-hopefully-not-out/

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
...although Bevin nevertheless managed to get back on terms thanks to the combination of both his CCC teammates and a team car.(Cycling News race report)
So how blatant was this? And what is the point of UCI and race commissaires trying to look authoritative over stage results if they do not allow the rules to be applied to the GC?
UCI and race commissaires are there to ensure the rules are applied, unlike Armchair cyclists who are not there

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site

Logic-is-your-friend said:
swuzzlebubble said:
Tough call. The other bloke gave up his spot pretty easy

The other guy is a 20 year old rookie.

I don't understand the people in here thinking it was an unfair DQ. Keep your f*ing head where it's supposed to be, and you won't get disqualified. Pretty simple.
Ewan was not disqualified, just relegated.
“During the final kilometres, I was on Peter Sagan’s wheel but Philipsen tried to take that spot as he tried to push me out of Sagan’s wheel. You are not allowed to take your hands off the handlebars in the sprint so I used my head to avoid ending up in the barriers.”

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
I am still waiting for an answer to my question. Reckon Bebin's transgression was more serious than Ewan's.
from the CN live commentary
15:27:46 ACDT
They're waiting for Bevin, who is being paced back by his team.
15:26:33 ACDT
Bevin is up and riding.

Tim Booth said:
Armchair cyclist said:
...although Bevin nevertheless managed to get back on terms thanks to the combination of both his CCC teammates and a team car.(Cycling News race report)
So how blatant was this? And what is the point of UCI and race commissaires trying to look authoritative over stage results if they do not allow the rules to be applied to the GC?
UCI and race commissaires are there to ensure the rules are applied, unlike Armchair cyclists who are not there
and, indeed, unlike Tim Booth.

But TV cameras were there, and Cycling News' reporter obviously thinks the reliance on team cars to catch up, something which is against the rules, was of a degree worth commenting upon. So I sought opinions of those who might have also seen the coverage, and also opinions as to whether there was a discrepancy between what some saw as over-strict application of the laws in one situation in contrast to an apparent blind eye being turned in another.

Please explain what is unacceptable in opening such a discussion, and if you don't have any reason, take your aggressive responses elsewhere.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site

Armchair cyclist said:
Tim Booth said:
Armchair cyclist said:
and, indeed, unlike Tim Booth.

But TV cameras were there, and Cycling News' reporter obviously thinks the reliance on team cars to catch up, something which is against the rules, was of a degree worth commenting upon. So I sought opinions of those who might have also seen the coverage, and also opinions as to whether there was a discrepancy between what some saw as over-strict application of the laws in one situation in contrast to an apparent blind eye being turned in another.

Please explain what is unacceptable in opening such a discussion, and if you don't have any reason, take your aggressive responses elsewhere.
take your pick from the journalists covering the race
"At nine kilometres to go, race leader Bevin came down in a crash at the back of the peloton. The New Zealander got straight up but appeared to be limping as he got back onto his bike.
He struggled to catch back onto the peloton but they slowed down in an effort to help him regroup; he settled back into the peloton with 1.5km to go."

It is because I was not there that I prefer to take the decisions of the race commissaires above those of others. I believe that this season the UCI is appointing a former pro cyclist as commissaire to all World Tour events, so I think their decisions are probably going to be better than most.

jaylew said:
yaco said:
I am still waiting for an answer to my question. Reckon Bebin's transgression was more serious than Ewan's.
I agree with you. The team car drafting was worse than the head butts.

Really? An injured race leader being helped back to a peloton that has slowed to wait for him is worse than trying to knock someone sideways at 50km per hour ... 3 times?

I reckon the race jury got it right myself, but hey ho.

Re:

yaco said:

My answer is no. I don't see how that logic could possibly work, in terms of the spirit of rules. How could trying to come back from a crash be more serious than almost causing one? I'm asking genuinely, I just can't think of an argument for that case.

I don't think Ewan should have been relegated though, it didn't seem much beyond the bounds of normal positioning. And Bevin's drafting seems even more within the bounds of normal behavior to me.

TRENDING THREADS