• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm Belgian and Dutch speaking, and I know Liggett quite well. Often watched livestreams of California, Down Under and other races that are or were not live on our channels, and got to know Phil that way. A lot of highlight videos on YouTube starr him as well. So I'm a bit amazed honestly that Logic doesn't know him or his voice.

At first I quite liked him, but I guess that was mostly me being enthusiastic that internet made it possible for me to watch international broadcasts of races that weren't on TV here. In recent years I noticed more and more lacks in his knowledge, which got annoying indeed.

As to second wat Logic said, Flemish cycling commentators are probably the best ones. Because of tradition, and being so close to so many parts of the peloton. José De Cauwer is a landmark, as is his 'lead' Michel Wuyts (although sometimes contested because of particular declarations). Fred De Bruyne is a legend, and growing up with Van Lombeek-Uytterhoeven as cycling voices was a pleasure.
This is getting off-topic, but Van Lombeek was quite oblivious as well. He was also never able to tell which rider was which.

He does have a pleasant voice and diction, I'll give him that, but tactically he just hasn't got a clue, and that's obviously more important.
Yes, voice and diction was fine, it was more like a lack of emphasis, intonation.

I'm Belgian and Dutch speaking, and I know Liggett quite well. Often watched livestreams of California, Down Under and other races that are or were not live on our channels, and got to know Phil that way. A lot of highlight videos on YouTube starr him as well. So I'm a bit amazed honestly that Logic doesn't know him or his voice.

At first I quite liked him, but I guess that was mostly me being enthusiastic that internet made it possible for me to watch international broadcasts of races that weren't on TV here. In recent years I noticed more and more lacks in his knowledge, which got annoying indeed.

As to second wat Logic said, Flemish cycling commentators are probably the best ones. Because of tradition, and being so close to so many parts of the peloton. José De Cauwer is a landmark, as is his 'lead' Michel Wuyts (although sometimes contested because of particular declarations). Fred De Bruyne is a legend, and growing up with Van Lombeek-Uytterhoeven as cycling voices was a pleasure.

As a Flemish Belgian living in the US I have (unfortunately) become very familiar with Liggett and co (I guess I could mess around with proxy servers etc to watch sporza.be but am too lazy for that). Phil does have his moments though and provides entertainment - him counting the seconds during the slow-motion footage of LRP's finish the other day was hilarious. The commenting doesn't bother me too much in the end, at least they are broadcasting (some of) these races... would be great if you could pair it with e.g. the commentary of the Lanterne Rouge Youtube guy...

TRENDING THREADS