• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hour Record Official Discussion Thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Picture of Wiggins on track this week. Could be just the angle but looks to me like he's moved further forward in position.

screen_shot_2015_05_28_at_09.47.08_670.png

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

M Sport said:
Picture of Wiggins on track this week. Could be just the angle but looks to me like he's moved further forward in position.

screen_shot_2015_05_28_at_09.47.08_670.png

Is the 5cm behind bb rule enforced for the track events such as the hour race?

Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
M Sport said:
Is the 5cm behind bb rule enforced for the track events such as the hour race?
The same rules apply for road and track.

Standard is saddle 5cm behind BB and end of bar extensions no more than 75cm in front of BB.

However you are permitted to move either the saddle up to level with BB or the bars out to 80cm but not both. Very tall riders (height is defined in the rules - off top of my head it's something like 190cm) may also gain another 5cm to the extension (provided saddle is at least 5cm behind BB).

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Sir Brad announces the target: 55.25km. I crunched the numbers and it seems like he'll have to average 55.25kph to do this. That's pretty quick.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

IndianCyclist said:
King Boonen said:
SeriousSam said:
Sir Brad announces the target: 55.25km. I crunched the numbers and it seems like he'll have to average 55.25kph to do this. That's pretty quick.

That must have taken a lot of number crunching...
I think they improved his position aerodynamically otherwise it is not possible to go that far from dowsett

Its not possible? Why not?
Please tell us more, I'm really curious to hear the bunch of nonsense you will (or rather wont) come up with.

Asked if he was in the best track form of his career, Wiggins replied: “If I was to get up and do a 4 kilometre pursuit I reckon I could get close to the world record in the right conditions or certainly go close to the PB I used to do.”

cocky brad, cocky!

Jancouver said:
IndianCyclist said:
King Boonen said:
SeriousSam said:

I think they improved his position aerodynamically otherwise it is not possible to go that far from dowsett

Please tell us more, I'm really curious to hear the bunch of nonsense you will (or rather wont) come up with.
Simple fluid mechanics actually. The Force on a body is proportional to the pv^2 * A which has to be overcome by the power generated by the rider. Compared to Dowsett, Wiggins aims to put 13% more power which is unlikely since if he had that much extra power he would have won PR easily. Therefore it is supposed to come from reduction of the frontal area or streamlining the body more to reduce turbulence.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Singer01 said:
Asked if he was in the best track form of his career, Wiggins replied: “If I was to get up and do a 4 kilometre pursuit I reckon I could get close to the world record in the right conditions or certainly go close to the PB I used to do.”

cocky brad, cocky!
what a crock of ****, he didn't even come close to dowsetts 10 mile record 2 weeks ago

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

IndianCyclist said:
Jancouver said:
IndianCyclist said:
King Boonen said:
SeriousSam said:

Simple fluid mechanics actually. The Force on a body is proportional to the pv^2 * A which has to be overcome by the power generated by the rider. Compared to Dowsett, Wiggins aims to put 13% more power which is unlikely since if he had that much extra power he would have won PR easily. Therefore it is supposed to come from reduction of the frontal area or streamlining the body more to reduce turbulence.
ughh, stopped reading there....

Ryo Hazuki said:
Singer01 said:

cocky brad, cocky!
what a crock of ****, he didn't even come close to dowsetts 10 mile record 2 weeks ago

That's a record with so many variables, wind direction and speed, temp, air pressure, different courses, so you can't compare riders through that. Same day and course, yes, otherwise no.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
ughh, stopped reading there....

First time I have to agree with Ryo. :eek:

Well, I didnt stop reading, I start laughing at the PR part.

But again, I believe IndianCyclist is new to cycling and probably never sat on a track bike so his answer should not surprise anybody... :cool:

well, apparently, he is also one of those believing that high power to weight ratio is THE key to winning races including the flat and cobbled races :eek:

Perhaps LRP should target Roubaix next year as supposedly his w/kg is exceptional :D

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
"It will add more kudos to the record the more people that attempt it. [Riders like] Tony Martin, Cancellara, Alex Dowsett, Rohan Dennis. Up to now it seems like people have been in a rush to get in there before I do it, and that's great, but I hope it continues after this weekend, whatever the record is."

Such confidence. Already worried riders won't attempt to, and fail, to beat his new record.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
"It will add more kudos to the record the more people that attempt it. [Riders like] Tony Martin, Cancellara, Alex Dowsett, Rohan Dennis. Up to now it seems like people have been in a rush to get in there before I do it, and that's great, but I hope it continues after this weekend, whatever the record is."

Such confidence. Already worried riders won't attempt to, and fail, to beat his new record.

The thing is the hour record is so meticulously prepared that he already knows he's gonna break it. So why not spice things up trying to get into the attempt his main rivals?
Now that he put the gauntlet down it's up to them to comply...or look like cowards.

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Strong smell of Sky *** here!
Wiggo is far too ambitious at 55 km and will struggle to beat Dowsetts record
A gutless Aussie was going to win the Giro recently but pulled out humiliated
Does Sky think that we were all born yesterday?