• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hoy £80,000 Racer ?

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hoy £80,000 Racer ?

hoy2_280x420_27266a.jpg

Sir Chris Hoy has walked away apparently unscathed after crashing his £80,000 Jaguar just yards from Manchester Velodrome, where he has been preparing for next month’s European Track Championships. According to The Sun ....

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5guL5fMfmDhN0iTasT3h5qn4L8X0A

http://sify.com/sports/brit-olympic-cycling-champ-wrecks-80-000-pounds-jaguar-in-car-crash-news-news-kihm4fibjai.html

http://road.cc/content/news/21109-sir-chris-hoy-walks-away-unhurt-car-smash

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
British National Track Championships run from Tuesday 21 Sep and Saturday 25 Sep

EVENT HIGHLIGHTS

Tuesday 7pm: Women's 500m TT, Open Team Sprint
Both Sir Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton will be competing on the opening night - Tuesday 21 September - with racing starting at 7pm with the Women's 500m TT followed by the Women's Madison. Team Sky Track Cycling will also be defending their title in the Open Team Sprint.

Wednesday 6pm: Women's Team Sprint, Men's Scratch Race
The second day's action (22 September) will begin at 6pm and see the Team Sky quartet of Geraint Thomas, Ben Swift, Ian Stannard and Pete Kennaugh taking part in the Men's Scratch race whilst upcoming young sprinters Jess Varnish and Becky James will race in the Women's Team Sprint.

Thursday 12pm: Qualification for Men's Points, Women's Sprint, Women's Pursuit
Thursday 6pm: Men's Points final, Women's Sprint final, Women's Pursuit final
Day three (23 September) sees two racing sessions: qualifying for the Men's Points, Women's Sprint and Women's Pursuit will take place from 12 pm and the evening's finals session will begin at 6pm and will see Victoria Pendleton defending her Sprint title for the ninth consecutive year. Paralympian Sarah Storey will also be defending her Pursuit title, having beaten Hannah Mayho in last year's final.

Friday 12pm: Qualification for Men's Individual Pursuit, Men's Sprint
Friday 7pm: Men's Individual Pursuit Final, Men's Sprint Final
On Friday 24 September competition will start at 12pm as star names take centre stage in qualification for the Men's Individual Pursuit and Men's Sprint races. The evening session - starting at 7pm - will see finals from both events plus the Women's Scratch race, which will feature Junior World Omnium Champion Laura Trott.

Saturday 2pm: Men's Keirin, Women's Keirin, Open Team Pursuit
The fifth and final day of competition (25 September) will start at 2pm and see a host of Olympic, World, European and Junior Champions in action. Sir Chris Hoy will take on a host of riders including Jason Kenny, Matt Crampton and Ross Edgar in the Men's Keirin. Meanwhile, Victoria Pendleton will be looking to add to her impressive tally of National titles with victory in the Women's Keirin.

! Talented juniors Owain Doull and Dan McLay will be competing in the Junior Madison later that day, whilst Team Sky will be looking to capture the Open Team Pursuit title and GB regulars Wendy Houvenaghel, Joanna Rowsell and Rebecca Romero will compete in opposing teams in the Women's Team Pursuit.

Rebecca_Romero_1720699c.jpg

Rebecca Romero returns to the track for British National Track Championships. Rebecca will give a strong clue as to which event she will be competing in for at the London 2012 Olympic Games at the British National Track Cycling Championships this week. [www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling]

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tuesday Sep 21 - Report: Men's Team Sprint, Women's 500m TT, Women's Madison

2010 British Cycling National Track Championships - Day 1

MEN'S TEAM SPRINT

The Sky Track Cycling team of Sir Chris Hoy, Jason Kenny, Ross Edgar and Matt Crampton took gold and the national title with a winning time of 44.563, beating City of Edinburgh in a thrilling climax to the opening day of the 2010 championships. The Sky team clocked the quickest time in qualifying (44.810), 2 ½ seconds faster than their nearest rivals. Sky easily dispensed with their rivals in the semis, catching their quarry, the North West Region team, before bettering their qualifying time in the Gold Medal final to beat a strong and consistent City of Edinburgh team. The bronze medal was taken by Scienceinsport.com in a nail-biting contest with Team Terminator, with only two-tenths separating the teams.

Results

Gold - Sky Track Cycling
Silver - City of Edinburgh RC
Bronze - Scienceinsport.com

Qualification

1. Sky Track Cycling 44.810
2. City of Edinburgh RC 47.245
3. Scienceinsport.com 48.218
4. Team Terminator 48.520
5. CC Cardiff ‘A' 49.744
6. VC St. Raphael ‘A' 50.134
7. VC St. Raphael ‘B' 52.671
8. North West Region 52.728

Semi Finals

Semi Final 1
1. Team Terminator 48.385
2. CC Cardiff 49.820

Semi Final 2
1. Scienceinsport.com 47.767
2. VC St. Raphael ‘A' 49.529

Semi Final 3
1. City of Edinburgh RC 46.933
2. VC St. Raphael ‘B' 52.152

Semi Final 4
1. Sky Track Cycling 44.713
2. North West Region 52.493

Progressing to Gold Medal Ride
Sky Track Cycling
City of Edinburgh RC

Progressing to Bronze Medal Ride
Scienceinsport.com
Team Terminator

Finals

Bronze Medal Final
1. Scienceinsport. 47.752
2. Team Terminator 47.974

Gold Medal Final
1. Sky Track Cycling 44.563
2. City of Edinburgh 47.072

WOMEN'S 500M TT

Victoria Pendleton retained her national 500m TT title in a time of 34.636, the only rider to go under the 35 second mark. She was joined on the podium by Becky James who took silver, just ahead of Jess Varnish, both posting sub 36 second rides. The out-and-out sprinters were joined by two notable names from the endurance events; Wendy Houvenaghel posting a very respectable 38.320, placing her in ninth overall, while paracyclist Sarah Storey of Horizon Fitness posted a 39.091 to take 11th overall.

Results

1. Victoria Pendleton Sky Track Cycling 34.636
2. Rebecca James Motorpoint Marshalls Pasta 35.254
3. Jess Varnish Halesowen A&CC 35.283
4. Anna Blyth 100%ME 36.476
5. Jenny Davis City of Edinburgh RC 37.160
6. Helen Scott Halesowen A&CC 37.261
7. Alison Chisholm ERC 37.630
8. Charlene Joiner City of Edinburgh RC 37.644
9. Wendy Houvenaghel Bikechain-Ricci 38.320
10. Emma Baird City of Edinburgh RC 38.871
11. Sarah Storey Horizon Fitness 39.091
12. Louise Haston City of Edinburgh RC 39.238
13. Cassie Gledhill Team Orbea 39.244
14. Donna Williams Team Terminator 39.728
15. Louise Satherley Team Terminator 40.336
16. Nicci Meadows awcycles.co.uk 40.622
17. Julie Dominguez West Lothian Clarion 41.420
18. Cheryl Owens GS Metro 41.985
19. Emma Williams Twickenham CC 45.317

WOMEN'S MADISON 20KM

The Motorpoint Marshalls Pasta pairing of Hannah Barnes and Hannah Walker took gold and the national title in the women's Madison, in a tense battle with the pairing of Dani King and Ella Hopkins. The two pairs traded-blows throughout the race, with King and Hopkins taking top points in sprint one ahead of the two Hannahs. However, King and Hopkins could only manage 4th place in sprint two, giving Barnes and Walker the edge at the halfway stage. Sprint 3 came and the King/Hopkins duo responded to level the points on 11 apiece. So it came down to the final sprint and it was King and Hopkins who missed the crucial move, allowing Barnes and Walker to take top spot and with it, the national champions jerseys. Laura Trott and Harriet Owen took bronze after consistent point scoring in all four sprints.

Result

1. Hannah Barnes/Hannah Walker 16pts
2. Dani King/Ella Hopkins 13pts
3. Harriet Owens/Laura Trott 8pts

RIDER REACTIONS

Victoria Pendleton: "I don't have a lot of speed at the moment because I'm working on my strength in the gym which has been really good. I gave it my all tonight and I feel shocking! I haven't worked at that speed and intensity yet because that work is yet to come."

"This is the first major hit out for me since the Track Worlds. I had quite a big break after the Worlds and the Ash Cloud chaos was partly to do with that because I had to delay my holiday. I think that was good for me though as it gave me a lot of time to relax and really get the hunger back for what I was doing."

"I am quite keen to start this season at a steady pace because last year I hit out quite early on and had a fantastic nationals but then had an injury which took me out of the gym for three months which was a bad time. I learnt that as you mature, you need to keep things steady, pace yourself better and I am really pleased with my gains."

"I was in the gym yesterday morning and had a PB so I am still doing plenty of gym work before the Euros and intend to train right through it doing two sessions a week because I feel for 2012, it is really important that I use this year well. I have pretty much dedicated this year to putting myself on a good platform for next year."

Becky James: "I'm really happy with the ride. I came clean out of the gate and I did quite a good lap for the gear I was on as well as recording a personal best. So I'm really happy with the form right now. Hopefully I can progress more in time for the Commonwealth Games. It's all building up nicely."

Jess Varnish: "I'm happy with it and it's good for the training form I have right now. I am just training through these championships so I am really happy with that ride. It's not so much a hit out for me but a chance to get some practice in and race experience ready for the Europeans which are still six weeks away."

Hannah Barnes: "We have never ridden a Madison together so we were a bit unsure but it worked out well. Hannah Walker did most of the sprints because that's how they fell during the race. It was quite a fast race as there were quite a few girls who wanted to attack and we had to chase them down. Because there were not that many teams though, we were able to keep track of where we were in the race."

Hannah Walker: "I'm absolutely so happy to have won this title! Hannah Barnes has won 16 or more and this is my first one and on the last sprint it was like, ‘I can't let Hannah down'! I really tried my hardest and am so happy to have won it".

"I have had a very good year and that's all down to the hard work I've done to get some results and some wins. I'm older this year and stronger too. I did a Madison at Track League last week which refreshed my memory for the event which was really good. The hardest thing in a Madison is judging the laps and when to come in for the changes especially for the sprints."

"It is good way to end the year though, a good result to take to Australia with me and one I can show my family." Hannah Walker now leaves for a holiday in Australia with her family.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
2010 National Track Championships - Day 2 22nd September 2010 - Manchester Velodrome

20100922_NTC_Day2_MensScratch.jpg

Peter Kennaugh lights the burners and heads for home and a Gold medal after lapping the field. ! On the outside is Junior World Champion Simon Yates who surprised everyone by sprinting in first to claim the Silver medal ahead of Geraint Thomas.

MEN'S SCRATCH RACE

Peter Kennaugh lights the burners and heads for home and a Gold medal after lapping the field. On the outside is Junior World Champion Simon Yates who surprised everyone by sprinting in first to claim the Silver medal ahead of Geraint Thomas.

Peter Kennaugh won a dramatic and high-paced Scratch Race with a great mid race move when he gained a lap, the only rider to do so. But a nasty crash for Ben Swift, right at the end, marred the race for the otherwise dominant Team Sky.

Tim Kennaugh and Owain Doull were the first riders to make a significant break and got half a length lead with 50 laps to go, but they stalled and were brought back with the Team Sky riders driving the chase. This move indirectly stretched the field and the first slew of retirements came soon afterwards.

Peter Kennaugh was the next to go, with Evan Oliphant and Eric Rowsell in pursuit. The joined up and began to make real progress. Ben Swift then blasted across the gap and joined them, apparently effortlessly. Kennaugh then went alone off the front of this small group and gained the lap, whilst the rest of the break retreated into the main field. With some 27 laps to go at this point, suddenly Kennaugh had the race in the bag.

It quickly became apparent that the rest of the medal positions would be decided in the final sprint. However, with just over two laps to go, Swift fell when he strayed onto the infield as the riders bunched at the front. Luckily he didn't bring down anyone else, and he was able to walk away, holding his shoulder.

Back in the race, Simon Yates struck a great blow for the younger contingent surging clear to claim silver with Gerraint Thomas taking the bronze.

1. KENNAUGH Peter Team Sky Pro Cycling
2. YATES Simon Maxgear RT
3. THOMAS Geraint Team Sky Pro Cycling
4. WHORRALL Chris 100% ME
5. MOULD Jon 100% ME
6. CHRISTIAN Mark 100% ME

POST EVENT RIDER REACTION Scratch Race

Peter Kennaugh (Team Sky, Winner): "I just took the opportunity to go off the front and then Eric and an Endura rider (James McCallum) came over. I saw Swifty coming over too so I thought I'd wait for him and I said to Swift, we'll jump them and just me and you get a lap but he didn't come with me. That meant I was out on my own then."

"I am sure Stannard was smashing it when I was trying to get back on which made it quite hard but I eventually did! Then it was just a case of keeping it together and Mark Christian and Chris Whorral helped me doing that. Yesterday was my first day on the track so I guess I'm finding my track legs."

"With the road season, it makes you really strong and you just put a big gear on so I may not be that quick but I have the power for long hard efforts. The jersey though doesn't make up for G beating me at the road nationals but it is sort of halfway -- this will have to do for this year!"

Geraint Thomas (Team Sky, 3rd): "We just went into it where we were all going to ride our own race. If one of the lads (Team Sky) was up the road, I wasn't going to smash it to get him back. I tried to get across on my own and I think it was Chris Whorral who came with me. It came down to sprint though and I knew Swifty was better than me and we were going to sprint it out but then this young lad (Simon Yates) rode really well and jumped us all."

Simon Yates (Max Gear RT, 2nd): "It was good being on the podium with the riders from Sky. It's where I want to be, where I want to get to and hopefully I'll continue and be in their shoes one day." Asked how the race compared to the Junior Worlds where he won a rainbow jersey in the Madison, he replied "I wasn't under as much pressure to be honest. Today, I wasn't a favourite, no-one really knew who I was so it was nice to go on and get on the podium."

"In that final sprint, I was just going as hard as I could. I thought I was going to get swamped by a few riders because I thought I'd gone too early. It was a hard race and pretty fast from the gun. It didn't really stall that much, only when Pete got a lap, but after that it was still hard. When you see Sky gathering together at the front, I did wonder ‘what's going on here'. You have to be alert and keep your eye on the ball and make sure nothing's really going".

WOMEN'S TEAM SPRINT

Jess Varnish leads Becky James on their way to a personal best for the Women's Team Sprint and a British title.

Jess Varnish and Rebecca James were the class acts of the field in the Women's Team Sprint competition. The were a second faster than the best of the rest in the qualifying round and then went significantly quicker in the semi finals - indeed they were within 6 tenths of Victoria Pendleton and Shanze Reade's national record - before taking the gold medal final with almost two seconds to spare over the City of Edinburgh duo of Jenny Davis and Charline Joiner. Another City of Edinburgh duo, Emma Baird and Kayleigh Brogan took the bronze medal.

Qualifying

1. VARNISH Jess Halesowen & JAMES Rebecca NW Region 34.139
2. DAVIS Jenny & JOINER Charline City of Edinburgh RC "A" 35.164
3. WILLIAMSON Victoria & TROTT Laura Welwyn Wheelers 37.051
4. BAIRD Emma & BROGAN Kayleigh City of Edinburgh RC 37.509
5. GLEDHILL Cassie (Team Orbea) & HASTON Louise (City of Edinburgh RC) 38.527
6. SCOTT Helen & HOPKINS Ella Halesowen A & CC 38.935
7. SATHERLEY Louise & WILLIAMS Donna ( Team Terminator) 39.191
8. GARNER Jackie & BRITTEN Marianne Maxgear RT 39.731

Semi Finals

DAVIS Jenny & JOINER Charline City of Edinburgh RC "A" 36.034
beat
WILLIAMSON Victoria & TROTT Laura Welwyn Wheelers 36.650

VARNISH Jess Halesowen & JAMES Rebecca NW Region 33.739 (only 6/10 off national record)
beat
BAIRD Emma & BROGAN Kayleigh City of Edinburgh RC 37.036

Minor Placings
5 SCOTT Helen & HOPKINS Ella Halesowen A & CC 38.404
6 SATHERLEY Louise & WILLIAMS Donna ( Team Terminator) 39.150
7 GARNER Jackie & BRITTEN Marianne Maxgear RT 39.652

Bronze Medal Final
BAIRD Emma & BROGAN Kayleigh City of Edinburgh RC 36.997
beat
WILLIAMSON Victoria & TROTT Laura Welwyn Wheelers 37.229

Gold Medal Final
VARNISH Jess Halesowen & JAMES Rebecca NW Region 34.095
beat
DAVIS Jenny & JOINER Charline City of Edinburgh RC "A" 35.878

! WOMEN'S POINTS RACE

Corrine Hall leads a three up break before going solo and claiming a brilliant victory done very much the hard way showing true grit.

Corrine Hall won a truly great Women's Points Race with a brilliant late move which won her back-to-back sprints and also netted her 20 points for lapping the field. It was a race run off at high pace and which had everything, including a that spectacular late plot twist.

Before that, Danni King had dominated the race with a really strong display of riding mixed with the sort of tactical awareness which is essential for winning this style of racing. King quickly got herself on the scoreboard with a win in the second sprint and kept on scoring points regularly, with further maximums in the fourth, seventh and eighth sprints putting her well clear of her rivals. When she wasn't scoring points she was policing the breaks which looked dangerous.

But just as interest seemed to be moving towards who would win silver and bronze medals, Hall made a great bid to gain a lap, going away initially as one of a trio of riders and then going on alone. She got to within the length of a straight of lapping the bunch, but seemed doomed to not quite make contact. However, after taking the tenth sprint, she found the main bunch slowing just enough for her to make contact and she gleefully claimed the 20 points and went into the lead.

Suddenly King was playing catch-up. The penultimate sprint saw Anna Blythe take the win with Hannah Rich stealing past team-mate Danni King to take the second place. This left King, who was third, three points down on Hall with one sprint to go. Hall marked her in the final laps and with Anna Blythe coming through to take the final sprint, King's race was run as she could only claim third, with Hall fourth and the new national Points Race Champion. Blythe picked up the bronze.

1 HALL Corrine Team Corridori 38
2 KING Dani Horizon Fitness 36
3 BLYTH Anna 100% ME 22
4 MILLER Ruby Forza Cycles 17
5 RICH Hannah Horizon Fitness 13
6 TROTT Laura Welwyn Wheelers 12
7 OWENS Harriet Bicester Milenium 9

POST EVENT RIDER REACTION Women's Points:

Corrine Hall (Team Corridori, Winner): "I am over the moon, I can't believe it! I was going for a few sprints and really suffering, I wasn't getting anything so I thought the way I have got to do it is get off the front. There were two riders away and I thought, that's the move. We stayed away for a while but their turns were not that good so with three laps to go before a sprint, I thought I have to go for it."

"After I got the sprint, I kept going and for ages I was 20 metres off the back and at one stage I didn't think I was going to get there. I thought with a sprint coming up though, the bunch would have to play it a bit tactical and they did which played into my hands. I got on and knew Dani (King) was the only rider who could beat me and I followed her as much as I could. Then I got some points at the end which sealed the victory."

"It is my first senior championship after a load of seconds and my first proper win in ages so I'm over the moon."

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hoy takes a hit at the UCI

Hoy laments UCI's attitude to track

LONDON — Beijing Olympic hero Sir Chris Hoy has hit out at the International Cycling Union (UCI), claiming the world ruling body is "set on destroying the sport".

"I don't think any decisions are made with the athletes in mind. They don't seem to understand the sport. It's as if track is an inconvenient add-on behind road cycling."

Read more: [http://www.Guardian-today-Hoy-AFP.html]

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
British National Track Champ 2010-Day 3 | September 23rd-Manchester Velodrome.

20100923_Day3_TrackNationals_letterbox_1.jpg
Victoria Pendleton.

WOMEN’S SPRINT
The blue ribbon event for the Women sprinters, the Match Sprint, kicked off with the flying 200 metres with Olympic and current World champion, Victoria Pendleton, blitzing her rivals with a time of 11.067 to easily qualify fastest ahead of Becky James (11.408) and Jessica Varnish (11.600). This set the scene for the 1st round where the fastest riders went up against the slowest qualifiers.

Pendleton was, of course, untroubled in her ride against Louise Satherley whilst the other favourites Becky James and Jess Varnish also cruised through there qualifying rounds. Key moment during the first round though was how well Satherley took the race to the multi world champion Pendleton but the champion, proudly wearing the rainbow stripes, had the speed and power to choose her moment to over power the Team Terminator rider.

There was also a fall in the third heat when Jenny Davis came to grief as the riders set off on their first lap but she was soon on her feet and lining up in the rerun which was won by Varnish. The final heat was the closest yet with Charlene Joiner and Vicky Williamson going head to head with Williamson (still a junior), a former runner, getting the verdict by a wheel in the sprint to the line.

Joiner though did come back through the repechages when, in the first heat she beat off the challenge of her club mates to win through to the quarters finals. In the second heat of the repechages, Jenny Davis won the four up race ahead of Cassie Glendhill, Kayleigh Brogan and Louise Satherley.

The ride offs in the quarter finals went to plan for the favourites with Victoria Pendleton having no problem against Cassie Glendhill whilst Becky James also made light work of beating Emma Baird. In heat 3, match A, Jess Varnish had to fight to beat off a determined challenge from Jenny Davis but after some initial skirmishes, Varnish gave it full gas to distance her rival in the home straight.

The final heat in the quarters, Charlene Joiner versus Vicky Williamson, was a repeat of the first round and the end result saw the quarter final being decided in three rides. Joiner won the first but Williamson hit back in the second and the semi final ride was to be decided in a third ride. With the riders being so close, there was no room for error and one mistake by Joiner early in the deciding race, saw Williamson take full advantage. Taking the lead with one and a half laps to race, Williamson hit out and gaped Joiner only to see the Scottish rider come back at her on the line but the Welwyn rider had done enough to win the match and go through to the semis.

Provisional Results

Qualifying

Victoria Pendleton 11.067
Rebecca James 11.408
Jess Varnish 11.600
Victoria Wilkinson 11.964
Charlene Joiner 12.108
Jenny Davis 12.148
Emma Baird 12.637
Cassie Gledhill 12.750
Louise Haston 12.910
Kayleigh Brogan 12.932
Louise Satherley 13.449

First Round

Heat 1: Victoria Pendleton beat Louise Satherly
Heat 2: Becky James beat Emma Baird and Cassie Gledhill
Heat 3: Jess Varnish beat Jenny Davis and Louise Haston
Heat 4: Victoria Williamson beat Charlene Joiner and Kayleigh Brogan

Repechages

Heat 1: Charlene Joiner beat Emma Baird and Louise Haston. 12.625
Heat 2: Jenny Davis beat Cassie Glendhill, Kayleigh Brogan and Louise Satherley. 12.940

Quarter Finals

Heat 1: Victoria Pendleton beat Cassie Gledhill 2:0
Heat 2: Becky James beat Emma Baird 2:0
Heat 3: Jess Varnish beat Jenny Davis 2:0
Heat 4: Victoria Williamson beat Charlene Joiner 2:1

Semi Finals evening: In the semi-final match up everyone was looking forward to seeing, Rebecca James took the first heat against Jess Varnish with a last-gasp move round the outside, after Varnish led the race out. James just sneaked a wheel in front on the line to go one up. James then wrapped it up and booked a place in the gold medal final with a very clean win, going to front a lap and a half out and simply out-dragging Varnish to the line. In the other Semi, Victoria Pendleton wasn't really troubled by Victoria Williamson, winning both heats comfortably, as expected.

Finals evening: Victoria Pendleton took the final against Rebecca James in two straight rides. She waited until the back straight on the last lap in the first heat, before blasting round her rival, doing just enough to claim the win by half a bike length. In the second James left the door open and Pendleton went for home with a lap to go. Her young opponent held on creditably and even threatened to draw alongside in the final banking, before the world champion applied a bit more gas and moved clear to retain her national title.

Jess Varnish was too powerful for Victoria Williamson and took the bronze medal final in two heats. A well timed run from the front by Williamson made Varnish chase hard in the second heat, but the result was never in doubt once the older rider had put her head down and she came round the outside in fine style in the last corner.

Rider Reactions

Victoria Pendleton (Gold Medal, Women’s Sprint): Winning the national title wearing the rainbow jersey of World Champion, the Olympic Sprint champion explained “I chose to race down a gear during the competition for a bit of training because I’m not really good on the smaller gears at the moment and I really enjoyed it. Becky did a great job and she deserved her second place today. It’s probably the closest final I have ever had in a national championship which is a great thing. It goes to show that the women’s side of the sprint is really progressing which is good news.”

“I was really surprised at my qualifying time. I really thought an 11.2 would be the best I could do today. If I’d done an 11.20, I’d have been happy so to go 11.0 was a real surprise and totally unexpected, not just by me but also by Jan (van Eijden) and Iain (Dyer). It is really reassuring that even when you haven’t got all your form, you can produce the goods using the techniques I have learnt over the years. I was really pleased by that.”

“It was nice to win wearing the rainbow jersey especially since I haven’t had the jersey out since the World Cup last year. I am very proud to wear it and have been lucky enough to wear it for the last few years in more than one event and that has been a really good feeling.”

“It is also good for the younger riders to be here with the riders who represent Britain at the highest level and that’s quite aspirational for them. If I’d been at the national champs and come up against a world champion, I’d have been like ‘wow, I can do that’, and I think that is really important.”

With the Women’s Keirin not until Saturday, Friday is a day that Victoria may be able to spend relaxing and enjoying her birthday with fiancé. “I’m planning on going out with my fiancé for a meal but no big party plans unfortunately. They’ll have to wait until I retire!” Happy birthday to Victoria and we all hope she has a great day!

Becky James (Silver medal, Women’s Sprint): “It was so good out there tonight. I got through the semi finals against Jess and was really happy with that because it’s always a tough competition between the two of us. In the final, it was great to be up against the Queen of sprinting because not many people get to ride against her. I gave it my best shot but enjoyed it more than anything.”

“I went up onto the line feeling good and tactically, it went well. I make mistakes but after each race we’d get shown a video of the race on an iPad and told what we could have done better to get closer to winning. I have been over that final race and there were a few little errors but then Victoria is quite a bit quicker than me.”

“I really wanted to get my nose out in that race and not just sit there and let her make all the moves. I was really tight on her wheel on the last bend and came though a bit and was really chuffed.”

Jess Varnish (3rd Women’s Sprint): “I was happy with my finals. I really wanted to get some practice ready for the Europeans because I haven’t sprinted for a while. So I am happy with how it is going. I got rid of the rust today and know what I have got to do. It’s all good. I made a few little mistakes in my rides against Becky but I am happy with it as my form isn’t there yet”.

Semi-finals
PENDLETON Victoria Sky Track Cycling beat WILLIAMSON Victoria Welwyn Wheelers 2 - 0
JAMES Rebecca Motor Point Marshalls beat VARNISH Jess Halesowen A & CC 2 - 0

Gold Medal Final
PENDLETON Victoria Sky Track Cycling beat JAMES Rebecca Motor Point Marshalls 2 - 0

Bronze Medal Final
VARNISH Jess Halesowen A & CC beat WILLIAMSON Victoria Welwyn Wheelers 2 - 0

Minor Final
5 JOINER Charline City of Edinburgh RC
6 GLEDHILL Cassie Team Orbea
7 BAIRD Emma City of Edinburgh RC
DAVIS Jenny City of Edinburgh RC DNS

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
British National Track Champ 2010-Day 3 | September 23rd-Manchester Velodrome.

20100923_Day3_TrackNationals_letterbox_3.jpg
Wendy Houvenaghel
WOMEN'S INDIVIDUAL PURSUIT

The final of the women's Individual Pursuit saw Wendy Houvenaghel go into a 1.4 second lead after the first 1000 metres. Houvenaghel was into the same straight within 2 kilometers and went on to pass her rival with two laps to go and she then went on to finish with a rapid time of 3m 30.612s. In the bronze medal ride-off, Laura Trott had too much for Anna Blyth, the Welwyn Wheelers rider beating the former sprinter by almost seven seconds and recording 3.44.769 on the way to claiming bronze.

Wendy Houvenaghel (Gold, Women’s Pursuit): “I was pleased with the times today. I went out this morning and wanted to be a little bit conservative and was quite surprised that I had done a 3.31. I was pretty confident that this evening, I could do a ride that was a little bit faster and so in the final I used everything I have to go faster”.

“I haven’t really done a lot of preparation for this and am aiming to peak for the Commonwealth Games and slowly working my way towards that. I feel I’m pretty much where I need to be this far out from that competition as I haven’t really rested up yet. So I’m pleased with how tonight has gone.”

Gold Medal Final
HOUVENAGHEL Wendy Bikechain - Ricci 3.30.612
Beat
STOREY Sarah Horizon Fitness

Bronze Medal Final
TROTT Laura Welwyn Wheelers 3.44.769
beat
BLYTH Anna 100% ME 3.51.452

5th to 8th place finals
5. KING Dani Horizon Fitness 3.50.236
6. HALL Corrine Team Corridori 3.57.080
7. TODD Mari Sandy Wallace Cycles 3.57.997
8. GRANT Emma AW Cycles.Co.uk 3.58.467

MEN'S POINTS RACE

George Atkins won a spectacular and increasingly brutal Points Race in the most exciting manner, pipping precocious junior Simon Yates on the line to claim the last sprint and with it the title.

Atkins' 100% ME team-mate Chris Whorrall had set the early pace, winning three of the first five sprints and gradually working himself into a decent lead. However, as Danni King found out in the previous night's women's race, a steadily accrued total of points is always vulnerable when there are big points available to riders who can lap the field.

With half the race run, the 100% ME duo of Atkins and Mark Christian were joined by Simon Yates in a dogged and determined effort to gain a lap. Ignoring the intermediate sprints, which they shared out, they went on a 30 lap campaign which changed the course of the race. The eventually lapped a disintegrating field which shed such class riders as Evan Oliphant and Ian Stannard during this attritional stage.

Once they had made contact with the main field, the situation changed and the three allies became rivals, with Yates drawing first blood, winning the second from last sprint and going into a five point lead. Atkins responded by picking up second in the penultimate sprint to close the gap to two points.

Graham Briggs looked set to spoil the party by going away in the closing stages, but Atkins and Yates were not to be denied their final confrontation, going to the line neck-and-neck with Atkins just getting the nod by a wheel length. That gave him five points to Yates' three and with it the title as, although they were now tied on 44 points each, the better performer in the final sprint takes precedence.

It had been a superb race to watch and tribute to the largely young inexperienced field, with Atkins a worthy winner and Yates backing up his Scratch Race silver with another silver and confirming his exceptional potential.

George Atkins (Gold, Men’s Points): “That was bloody hard out there. It was one of those races where I’d made the plan to leave it late like maybe 60 to go, and I was looking to take laps and not sprints. I didn’t get any points until around halfway in the race and put in an effort to take a lap with around 90 to go and I got a bit of gap and a guy bridged to me. So I swung up, still had a bit of a gap and went from there.”

“It was one of those races that seemed to suit me where you just have to keep digging in and digging in. Mark (Christian) has a good pair of legs on him at the moment after Avenier and hats off to him because he was putting in some good turns and Simon (Yates) as well. Second in the Scratch and the Points, for a junior World Champion, it shows the standard they are at.”

“For me to pull out a result like that after the season I have had, I’m over the moon really.”

“Adam Yates going off the front at the end was all part of the mix of a good Points race. I don’t think I have sprinted that hard at the end of a race. That sprint was the race and I knew there was some one on my hip and had a good guess it was Simon!”

Simon Yates: (equal on points but second on countback) : “I felt good and can’t complain about two Silver medals at the national champs. It’s all good really. I was going pretty hard in the break and saving a bit in case the other two tied up. It was hard because we were out there for a long time and didn’t really get on with it and get it over with quicker.”

“I am hoping I can carry this good form over to the Games and get a good result. I’m not expecting anything of myself and not putting any pressure on myself to get a podium or anything but I will be giving it a good shot and if that gets me a podium, great but if I have to pull out, then I do that too.”

“I was hoping for a top five in these bunch races and well exceeded that so it’s all good.”

1. ATKINS George 100% ME 44 points
2. YATES Simon Maxgear RT 44
3. CHRISTIAN Mark 100% ME 39
4. WHORRALL Chris 100% ME 17
5. HARRISON Sam Planet X 14
6. MCLAY Daniel Hargroves Cycles 10 Junior World Madison champion :eek:

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
British National Track Champ 2010-Day 4 | September 24 - Manchester Velodrome.

Open Sprint -- Jason Kenny is the New Champion

20100925_NTC_Day4_03.jpg

Above: Matt Crampton, Jason Kenny and Chris Hoy

Jason Kenny is the new British Sprint champion after defeating Matthew Crampton in two close rides in the final. To win the title, Kenny had to first overcome the fastest qualifier, Olympic champion Chris Hoy in the semi finals and the Olympic Silver medallist did just that, defeating Sir Chris in two straight rides.

Crampton meanwhile, had made his way to the final by defeating David Daniell in their semi final to set up his chance at riding for a gold medal. It wasn’t to be for Crampton however as Kenny just seemed to get better and better as the competition progressed through out the day.

The Bronze medal was won by Sir Chris Hoy who beat David Daniell in two straight rides.

Final for Gold/Silver
Jason Kenny beat Chris Hoy; 10.635 10.441 (2:0)

Final for Bronze Medal
Chris Hoy beats David Daniell 10.715 10.655 (2:0)

Semi Finals
Heat 1: Jason Kenny beat Chris Hoy (2:0)
Heat 2: Matt Crampton beat David Daniell (2:0)

Minor Final
Prior to the finals for the medals, the riders knocked out of the medal race in the quarter finals, lined up on the start line for the Minor final to race for positions 5th to 8th. There was to be no track stands or messing about riding slowly in this four up race and as soon as the riders been given the whistle to start, they all got up to speed quite quickly.

Closely matched, there was little between them as they got the bell and in the dash to the line, Academy rider Peter Mitchell saw off the challenge of Olympic Silver medallist (Keirin) Ross Edgar to finish the championship in fifth place.

5. Peter Mitchell
6. Ross Edgar
7. Callum Skinner
8. Lewis Oliva

Open B Finals 1st and 2nd
City of Edinburgh rider Kevin Stewart beat his club teammate Bruce Croall in two straight rides (11.626 11.696) to win the B final. Adam Welch was third.

1. Kevin Stewart
2. Bruce Croall
3. Adam Welch

Semi Finals B
Heat 1 Kevin Stewart beat Adam Welch 12.312 11.341
Heat 2 Bruce Crouall wins on ride over (Dave Readle)

Minor Final
Tom Baker beat Miles Annon and Tom Powell 11.872

Open Pursuit Championship
20100925_NTC_Day4_01.jpg

Team Sky's Peter Kennaugh has won the 2010 National Pursuit title after beating Points race champion George Atkins in the final on Friday evening. With almost five seconds between them after qualifying, Kennaugh went into the race as favourite but Atkins wasn’t giving up without a fight.

The Points race champion, riding for 100% ME, went out very quick indeed, covering the first kilometre in 1.09 but Kennaugh was cruising and he soon turned the deficit around he had in the first half to lead Atkins for the second half of the 4,000 metres and win the race comfortably by four seconds.

The ride off for the bronze medal was a much closer affair with little separating them until the final laps when Harrison drew clear to take the bronze medal ahead of Isle of Man rider, Mark Christian.

Gold Silver Medal Ride-off
1. Peter Kennaugh 4.27.112
2. George Atkins 4.31.956.

Bronze Medal Ride-off
Sam Harrison 4.38.387
Mark Christian 4.39.011

5th-8th
Jon Mould 4.39.330
Adam Duggleby 4.39.918 faster than q
Mark Holton 4.41.196 slower than q
Owen Doull 4.42.343

Women's Scratch Race (60 laps)

Anna Blyth of 100% ME won the Women’s Scratch race title in a bunch kick with Harriett Owen in second and Dani King in third place. After a steady start to the race, the first rider to get itchy legs was Laura Trott who attacked with 49 laps to go. For five laps, the World Junior Champion Trott tried to take a lap but the bunch continued to chase her down. Eventually, the Welwyn rider had to give best and sit up as the move just wasn’t sticking and she melted back into the fast moving bunch.

Hannah Rich then attacked a few laps later but that too was short lived and then Marianne Brittian grew impatient and had a go but the bunch was in no mood for a break to go away and the last 10 laps of the race saw the riders positioning themselves ready for the sprint. This played right into the hands of former Sprint squad rider, Anna Blyth who added the British Scratch title to her European one.

1. Anna Blyth
2. Harriett Owen
3. Dani King
4. Ruby Miller
5. Helen Scott
6. Laura Trott

ParaCycling Pursuit Final
In a championship using a factoring system, many of Britain’s world class riders including Darren Kenny and Jody Cundy competed in the Paracycling pursuit event over distances up to 4,000 metres with the distance depending on a riders category.

Being a pursuit, it was fitting, even with a factoring system, that a World Record holder in Darren Kenny came out of the competition with the national title after scoring 95 points, just over a point ahead of fellow GB teammate Rik Waddon with Jody Cundy in third.

Results (points/time) (provisional)
Darren Kenny 95.896 (3.46.156)
Rik Waddon 94.623 (3.49.196)
Jody Cundy 92.451 new national record 5.03.826

Russell White 90.0 (5.05.762)
Barney Storey/Neil Fachie 90.008 (4.46.827)
JA Butterworth 90.621 (5.06.447)
Terry Byrne 89.329 5.14.443
Crystal Lane 82.754 (4.18.920)
Tom Staniford 82.282 points (5. 29.366)
Martin Christmas 80.353pts (4.29.403)
Craig McLean/Anthony Kappes (4.33.832) non-championship

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
British National Track Champ Final Day | September 25-Manchester Velodrome.

Today SATURDAY 25 SEPT - Session starts 2pm
(Men's Keirin & Team Pursuit, Women's Keirin & Team Pursuit, Junior Men's Madison)

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Drama, apocalyptica on the final day of british nats on track.

??? The final day of the 2010 National Track Champs saw drama on and off the track, with Chris Hoy withdrawing from the competition due to illness, leaving Ross Edgar to claim the Keirin title. Pendleton took gold in the women's keirin, while Sarah Storey led Horizon Fitness to gold in the Women's Pursuit. There was high drama in the Men's Team Pursuit, with catches and crashes punctuating proceedings. And to cap it all, a blistering Junior Madison which saw another big performance for the hard-charging Simon Yates, joined atop the podium by Adam Yates.

MEN'S TEAM PURSUIT
20100925_NTC_Day5_02_TeamPursuitMensPodium.jpg

VC St Raphael's ‘A' team won the national pursuit title in a dramatic final against the scienceinsport.com team. From the start, it was clear that SIS were attempting to catch the VCR team and finish the job early, with paracyclist sprinter Jody Cundy putting in an opening lap that would have looked more at home in a kilo. Cundy pulled off, leaving the three remaining SIS riders to finish the job.

Gold Medal Final

1. VC St Raphael ‘A'
2. Scienceinsport.com DNF

Bronze Medal Final

1. Cyclepremier.com Metaltek 4.30.759
2. Hargroves Cycles 4.30.827

Minor Finals (5th - 10th)

5. Agiskoviner 4.31.546
6. Scun.thorpe Poly CC 4.34.546
7. Cottingham Coureurs 4.35.731
8. VC St Raphael ‘B' 4.40.453
9. PSUK 4.51.577
10. Vortex 5.01.939

WOMEN'S TEAM PURSUIT
20100925_NTC_Day5_02_TeamPursuitWomensPodium.jpg

Ohlala love you gals great performance keep up the good work !

The Horizon Fitness team of Sarah Storey, Dani King and Alex Greenfield took the national team pursuit title in a fast, faultless ride. The trio comfortably topped the leaderboard in qualifying, a full ten seconds ahead of their nearest rivals, Orbea For Goodness Shakes. They made this numerical advantage pay in the final, catching their opponents just 2 ½ minutes into the Gold Medal ride.

Results

GOLD MEDAL FINAL
1. Horizon Fitness caught...
2. Team Orbea For Goodness Shakes

BRONZE MEDAL FINAL
1. Team Terminator 3.58.678
2. Maxgear RT 4.01.282

! MEN'S KEIRIN
20100925_NTC_Day5_01_MensKeirinAction.jpg

Ross Edgar won the national keirin title in explosive style in a thrilling final which featured four of his Sky Track Cycling teammates. The news off the track was just as hot as the action on it, with Chris Hoy announcing his withdrawal from the competition due to illness (see below for more detail).

Sir Chris Hoy on his withdrawal from the competition (speaking to William Fotheringham): "I just didn't feel right at all, I woke up with the shivers, didn't feel 100 per cent. I thought I might be able to race myself into it today but I've decided it's better to make sure I'm fit and healthy for the Europeans. I'm certainly not healthy, whether it's a virus or a cold I don't know. It feels like a virus, I'm shivering and aching. It's easy to pick something up at the velodrome, you meet so many people."

I'll just take it easy for a couple of days until I feel well enough to train again. It's not a big deal but it's frustrating because I want to race every race I go to. But the training has been going really well, it's all looked good until the last couple of days. Yesterday when I was stamping on the pedals there was just nothing there. The goal now is to get fit for the Revolution on October 23rd, and then the Europeans."

Ross Edgar: “It has been a tough week for everybody really. I had a horrible sprint competition but it was good to come here today and feel that I was getting some where. I can go to Delhi now with a bit of confidence. It just goes to show that even if you don’t have the best legs, you can still come out a winner”.

“I knew Matt (Crampton) was on my wheel but I was sitting alright in third and was surprised when no-one hit out when the Derny pulled off. I was happy to sit there though for a bit and then David (Daniell) came over the top but I don’t think he was fully committed to the attack. Then Jason (Kenny) didn’t let him over which worked in my favour because it kept the speed really high. I ducked down onto Pritchard’s wheel and managed to lay off a bit and give myself a bit of a run at them before managing to get them on the line”.

Jason Kenny: “I was pleased with how the draw went for the Derny and I knew I would be in the thick of it straight away when the bike pulled off. I knew two and half laps was going to be a long way on my own especially with all these guys breathing down my neck. I was hoping for an early move from Matt (Crampton) or Pete (Mitchell) like a dive to the front to give me some help and it never came.”

“The only move of note was from Dave (Daniell) and he didn’t really commit to it and I felt I was going to get swamped which I had to defend against. That was it, with one and a half to go, you have to hit it so I got composed, took a breath and stamped on it with one to go. In hindsight, as we were already going at a good pace, I should have been a bit more patient and maybe left it a little later.”

“The Sprint too was amazing. I was getting stronger and stronger with every ride and that has really helped me and given me a lot of confidence.”

Chris Pritchard: “That was alright wasn’t it! I knew I was never going to win so the best wheel to get was Jason’s as he’s been flying all week and so I had held back. I was surprised that Ross came past me as I was thinking as the line approached, ‘I’ve got second, hold it’ and then he came from no-where.”

“I just wanted to be in there and be in contention and if I could beat a few, then brilliant. I’m obviously going in the right direction and it would be nice to train with them full time and fulfil my potential.”

Final
1. Ross Edgar SKY
2. Jason Kenny SKY
3. Chris Pritchard SIS
4. Dave Daniell CLE
5. Peter Mitchell SKY
6. Matt Crampton SKY

WOMEN'S KEIRIN
20100925_NTC_Day5_01_WomensKeirinAction.jpg

Victoria Pendleton, riding for Sky Track Cycling, took her 6th Keirin title and 29th national title in typically dominant fashion. The Halesowen team-mates of Jess Varnish and Helen Scott took silver and bronze respectively, with Helen Scott battling through the repechage to earn her place in the final. Pendleton comfortably won her heat to progress to the final, easily gapping second placed Charlene Joiner of City of Edinburgh, with Varnish tussling with Motor Point Marshall's Pasta rider Becki James in her heat.

Victoria Pendleton: “I unfortunately drew number 1 in the final which I hate but I decided whilst I was on the start line that I would try and hold the front and stay out of trouble. You don’t want to be taking risks at this stage of the season so I thought I’ll try and stay at the front”.
These races are going to get harder and harder which is a good thing.”

Asked whether the younger girls are closing the gap on her, Victoria replied “definitely. And they should be as well - I wouldn’t expect anything less. When you come into training full time, it can take you a little bit of time to get used to it but last year Jess adapted really easy to it and Becky too this year has really got into it and made massive progression. So there are really good signs for the future of Women’s sprinting.”

“Jess pushed me hard out there and that hurt and I’m not going to deny that. It is no fun winning easily and there is no reward if the win is a cakewalk. You want it to be hard and feel like an achievement and the championships over the last few years have been a bit of a formality at times and that is a shame.”

Jess Varnish: I’m really pleased with that result and didn’t think I had that in my legs. I was in the gym yesterday and I woke up this morning and thought, I’ll just try and get through the day and see how it goes. I’m really happy with how I rode that. Every senior nationals I seem to mess up the Keirin but finally this year I got a Silver and I was pretty close to Vicky.

Helen Scott: “I have got to be happy with that. This is the first year that I’m not a Sprinter now that I am training for the Tandem (Paracycling pilot) so I had nothing to lose. I got to the final the hard way through the repechage and I was in such good company with these girls getting faster and faster. Just to be in with them was great. I have to accept that the faster I get on the tandem, the harder it will be for me on the solo.”
I am chuffed to bits as I wanted a medal in these champs and so I’m really happy.”

Result
1. Victoria Pendleton SKY
2. Jess Varnish HAL
3. Helen Scott HAL
4. Charlene Joiner CED
5. Rebecca James MPM
6. Cassie Gledhill TOR

! (Blistering Junior performance on the drawing board, up in an hour)

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Blistering Junior performance close out championship

20100925_NTC_Day5_01_Madison_Yates.jpg

JUNIOR MEN'S MADISON

The Maxgear RT pairing of Simon and Adam Yates took the 2010 Junior Madison title in a close fight with the GB development squad and the pairing of Hargroves and Maclay from Hargroves Cycles. The Yates duo struck early, gaining maximum points in the first sprint and scoring again in the second, putting them a point ahead of the GB and Hargroves teams, who shared second place on 6 points apiece.

Following the second sprint, the three aforementioned teams broke clear of Planet X and Manx Telecom, who lost a lap and dropped out of medal contention. Sprint three came and once again, Maxgear were dominant, pulling three points clear of the GB development squad, who in turn put daylight between themselves and the Hargroves pairing. As the lapboard ticked down, Planet X's team of Minting and Hayes stirred into life and attempted to regain their lost lap, much to the appreciation of the sell-out crowd.

However, the three teams ahead were beginning to wind things up for the final sprint, putting paid to any hopes of the Planet X guys getting back on the same page. Hargroves won the final sprint from the GB development pairing, with Maxgear picking up just one point, enough to hold on to the overall lead and the gold medal. However, confusingly Planet X were awarded 5pts in the final sprint, despite not regaining their lap. The scoring error made little difference to the final positions, GB and Hargroves holding on to silver and bronze respectively.

Result

1. Maxgear 13pts
2. GB Development Squad 11pts
3. Hargroves Cycles 10pts
4. Planet X 7pts
5. Manx Telecom 3pts

TRENDING THREADS