• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hugh Carthy discussion thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah and Sky don't have the greatest track record when it comes to developing young mountain goats.
I know you could say the same for almost every single young anglophone gc prospect, but Orica would be a good team for him, DD could be another option and riding 2 more years for Caja Rural wouldn't be bad either.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Yeah and Sky don't have the greatest track record when it comes to developing young mountain goats.
I know you could say the same for almost every single young anglophone gc prospect, but Orica would be a good team for him, DD could be another option and riding 2 more years for Caja Rural wouldn't be bad either.
Movistar now that he speaks almost fluent Spanish is a possibility, and he has shown that he doesn't care about being in a team with other anglophone guys, his training buddy is a Colombian, so any team that can develop him I think he'll fit in well.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Mayomaniac said:
Movistar now that he speaks almost fluent Spanish is a possibility, and he has shown that he doesn't care about being in a team with other anglophone guys, his training buddy is a Colombian, so any team that can develop him I think he'll fit in well.
You're right, I was just thinking that there are almost too many good gc riders on Movistar, I don't know if he'll get many chances to ride for himself if he signs with them.

If they sign more riders for the climbing days, then One Procycling wouldn't be that bad a team. People like Marcin Biablocki and Karol Domagalski are certainly strong men on the flat, as well as riders like Kristian House and Yanto Barker, who are good alrounders. Possibly would need to strengthen the climbing side though.

Re:

hrotha said:
It's going to take a lot more than that to be a better option than Caja Rural.

x100

He might want to take a look at the new Bora-big sponsor team, though.

I think the right level for him next season would be regularly leading a team in WT stage races. He did so at Catalunya, but that's been his only WT race this year. I can't remember if he was injured or not but the team was at T-A and Pais Vasco without him. They weren't invited to Romandie, Dauphiné or Suisse, so there is a ceiling to his development at Caja Rural.

TMP402 said:
hrotha said:

x100

I think the right level for him next season would be regularly leading a team in WT stage races. He did so at Catalunya, but that's been his only WT race this year. I can't remember if he was injured or not but the team was at T-A and Pais Vasco without him. They weren't invited to Romandie, Dauphiné or Suisse, so there is a ceiling to his development at Caja Rural.

T-A, Pais Vasco and Catalunya is quite the early season for a young man. That should be more than enough. Then a break and go for the Vuelta. This year he isn't ready for WT races regularly, Caja Rural have treated him in the right way.

Brullnux said:
TMP402 said:
hrotha said:

x100

T-A, Pais Vasco and Catalunya is quite the early season for a young man. That should be more than enough. Then a break and go for the Vuelta. This year he isn't ready for WT races regularly, Caja Rural have treated him in the right way.

Yes, I agree with this. Caja Rural have been good for him so far and they have a good enough calendar to offer him the ability to take a further step forward next year, while still having leadership. If he continues to improve though, the year after that they might start to look very limiting.

Of course, money is usually the ultimate decision maker and Caja Rural surely can't compete with any medium or large budget WT team in terms of contract offers. TMP is probably right, for instance, that if the rumours are correct and there's a Bora-Specialized in the WT next year, they will have to sign some climbers and stage race leaders. Carthy would be an obvious guy for them to wave a cheque at.

7lgVxsQ.jpg

Hugh is in a very good form since Pais-Vasco. And it seems to be on a rising trend so he might show something interesting in the 3rd week. He used to be poor at recovering so he never did well in GTs and sometimes even faded towards the end in one-week races like Trentino 2017 but maybe he has managed to improve. I mean he definetely has, he had never been anywhere near good before towards the end of 2nd week in GTs.

He would have most likely finished top10 in Romandie if not for the work he had done for Woods. He has improved his TT a lot this year which bodes well for his GC ambitions in stage races. He used to be a very one-dimensional rider with a very small niche he could excel at and very few opportunities in the calendar as he was basically only good on regular climbs with too weak TT for many of the one-week races and too weak recovery for GTs and not enough of a kick for explosive climbs. Now he seems to have improved a lot of these and EF will be interesting to follow in the future with him, Martinez and Higuita.

TRENDING THREADS