• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hugh Carthy discussion thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
(Usually the BMI of the riders isn't so low, it's their fat percentage?)
They're both low, especially for climbers.

Their fat percentage is really low but they don't have that much muscle mass either. Upper body muscles don't allow you to ride a bike faster and they only make you slower uphill and even when it comes to legs there's only so many muscles you can get to be good at an endurance sport because when muscles grow too big, they obstruct blood flow and make you tire yourself faster. Rock climbers don't get very bulky either for that reason even if strength is very important to them.

Low fat percentage and low to average muscle mass will result in a low BMI.

I don't think his final position reflected how much the EF-Nippo team and his attacking attitude gave to the race.
For some reason he was empty by the 3rd week. Had he kept his level from the first 2 weeks, he would've finished ahead of Vlasov IMO.

It just reminded me that he admitted himself that he struggled with recovery early in his career? He seemed fine in Giro 2019 and Vuelta 2020 but maybe he does indeed struggle with recovery in some way and won't be able to do as well in every GT.

Last edited:
Hard to judge the Giro for Hugh.

In some ways I feel a bit disappointed because with a few key competitors falling out and lots of terrain he loves I thought he might be a good shout at a second podium, but he never quite seemed to find the same top level he had at the Vuelta and clearly couldn't hold his form for 3 weeks here - Did make me wonder a bit if the shortened Vuelta and its tame final week last year was a bit of a blessing too

That said it's another top 10 and still progression within the Giro as a race so hardly a failure or anything like that and you'd think he'll have some more strong outings before this season is done

TGH is a much better option than Carthy, similar level climbing and TGH has the extra punch for one day races that Carthy does not have at all. Also you cannot possibly suggest Carthy should be selected ahead of Simon Yates.

You need a balanced team - For a start you don't need to select 4 climber types for the race - You can get by with 2 climbers and two rouleurs.

Screenshot-20210601-191713-Facebook-1-2.jpg

Horrible 3rd week, worst than Foss!

Last edited:
I'll look out for Hugh in the Vuelta, but he's not a rider that's going to enjoy having his arms in the air much during his career.
He's one -paced and lacks the finishing kick on a climb like Roglic, for instance to shoot clear of the select group.
He is a diesel and is more suited to the long hard grind, which we saw when he won at the top of the mighty Angliru last year in a slow-motion crawl to the crest.
There are not going to be too many Angliru's for Carthy to take advantage of going forward when he can take the opportunity to put in a snail-paced attack at a 15% gradient.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS