• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I hate Armstrong, but hope that he wins the tour??? I need help!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I literally hate everything about him, from the way he looks right to his bullying and arrogant behaviour. I cringed everytime he won in his prior tours and wished Ullrich would beat him severely. Almost cried when Ullrich lost the tour to him in 2003. I hate everything that comes out of his lying mouth. He's one big con.

However, I loved watching him race. He adds excitement to the sport with his doped up body and attacking style. The problem is Part of me, wants him to win the TdF this year??? Why!!!! It's more than just wanting a good show, especially after the non attacking riding of last year. I think I better admit myself into a psychiatric hospital. Surely I'm not becoming an Armstrong fan.

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

its an interesting one..

See ive never had an issue with lance, in fact i like the guys riding.. That aggressive, arogant style is something i admire, probably why i also liked cippo, and like cav. The doping argument aside, there is no doubt that some of the greatest moments in tour history over the last twenty years have involved in some way, lance armstrong, the duel with pantani, the look, cycling across open ground etc...

Do I want him to win.. In some ways yes, i have strong feelings that this year he is clean (which will no doubt bring some form of insult - its not needed believe me, i know the opinions of many already so we dont need to go over it), and if he was to win the tour clean, or cleaner, or even on an even playing feild it would leave a lot of people with egg on there faces.

But also, if a guy at 37, can come out of retirement having not ridden a tour for three years, having broken a collarbone and not even had a full seasons training, and beat the likes of the schlecks, contador, evans, sastre, levi, what the hell does it say for the state of cycling at the moment..

But, from a spectator point of view, as long as the french directors dont spend the entire three weeks with a camera staring at lance, and lets face it, that will be the production teams fault, not lances, then having him in the tour, almost his backyard will add such excitement, politics and intrigue. It wont be the dull, follow me and ill follow you tour that weve had recently.. I think its probably certainly for me, the most anticipated tour of the last ten, fifteen years (the one after lance quit was originally to see who would step up, but wasnt that a dissapointment), I am just dying for saturday, and waiting to see what will happen.. That anticipation, like it or not, is down to one man... LA....

So so i want him to win.. I just want a good tour, a great, attacking tour, with agression, memorable moments. Its a fascinating scenario.. the situation in astana with 3 or even 4 GC contenders.. Good v Evil, The old champion versus the new, LA v Contador, Contador v Cadel, Sastre etc, Astana v the Pelaton, Are astana going to head to the front like the discovery of old in the mountains, or is another team going to surprise us and show strength on the front (i have a sneaky feeling about lotto)..

three weeks of racing, and ask me afterwards if Im happy with the result.. it will be intersting to see, if Lance sits back, finishes top ten, does nothing impressive how the lovers will react.. But it will also be intesting, if he takes the race by the scruff of the neck, performs like lance of old, and wins if the haters will give any credit..

its going to be a fascinating three weeks, on tv, on the road, and here on the forum..

A

Anonymous

Epicycle said:
You can always hope he wins the Tour when they get to Paris and then loses it later.

by the same token..

Imagine if he comes second to contador, and then contador loses it later and lance is given the win.. (or even worse, second to cadel) :eek:

would that be the worlds greatest sporting irony..

Imagine some of the faces round here if Cadel wins the tour, armstrong is second, but then on the monday morning they announce Cadel has failed a test for Cera, and Lance has been awarded the Victory..

15f169w.jpg

Scary enough for ya...?

Indurain said:
I think I better admit myself into a psychiatric hospital. Surely I'm not becoming an Armstrong fan.

I'll rent the bus on the condition that you fill it up with a bunch of your like minded whack job friends on this site. The first step toward recovery is admitting that you have a problem - mad props to you. Most of us could use one less hater in the world.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
See ive never had an issue with lance, in fact i like the guys riding.. That aggressive, arogant style is something i admire, probably why i also liked cippo, and like cav.

The one thing I did not like about Lance's riding style was his willingness to give up stages and hand them to other riders (Basso, Valverde, etc) when he could have definitely done more to contest them. I know this played into the overall plan to win the TdF and not have the team defend the jersey for longer than necessary, but to sacrifice individual stages was disappointing from a viewer's perspective.

Indurain said:
I literally hate everything about him, from the way he looks right to his bullying and arrogant behaviour. I cringed everytime he won in his prior tours and wished Ullrich would beat him severely. Almost cried when Ullrich lost the tour to him in 2003. I hate everything that comes out of his lying mouth. He's one big con.

However, I loved watching him race. He adds excitement to the sport with his doped up body and attacking style. The problem is Part of me, wants him to win the TdF this year??? Why!!!! It's more than just wanting a good show, especially after the non attacking riding of last year. I think I better admit myself into a psychiatric hospital. Surely I'm not becoming an Armstrong fan.

I think deep down, you love the guy.;)

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't particularly like Lance the cyclist either, and I don't think he is the greatest cyclist of all time (Eddy Mercx). He is the greatest TDF champ though. He has a lot of hubris and bravado that turns people off but then again, so do a lot of other great sports stars. His TDF victories are shrouded in rumor and speculation of drugs, but it is rumor and speculation. I give him credit and will not doubt his victories. And I will cheer for him but I will also cheer for Leipheimer, Hincapie and every other American in the race. I hope Lance does well, takes the third podium spot under Levi and George and brings attention to his cancer foundation. Everything else aside, Lances' fight against cancer makes him a great human being, perhaps the greatest crusader of all time against cancer. That deserves my respect and my cheers.

elapid said:
The one thing I did not like about Lance's riding style was his willingness to give up stages and hand them to other riders (Basso, Valverde, etc) when he could have definitely done more to contest them. I know this played into the overall plan to win the TdF and not have the team defend the jersey for longer than necessary, but to sacrifice individual stages was disappointing from a viewer's perspective.

Probably depands of what kind of cycling culture you come from?
Because usually that is really what a heavy leader of a tour is supposed to do.
Against Valverde thought...you can't beat the guy in a maintain sprint unless he's totally exhausted.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:

Im exactly the same, lol i used to hate the guy, was a huge ullrich fan... BUT this year, i kinda want him to win, and really want contador to fail...

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
i find myself not opposed to lance winning, although i despise the man. on that topic, seriously, how much of a d|ckhead do you have to be to not come across as a likeable fella in your own autobiography? (thinking of every second counts, will be reading its not about the bike while we drive around in the alps this summer :cool:)

so, to sum up, i wouldn't go for a drink with him, but i love statistics, and a number eight certainly would make for a good statistic, with the thought of him actually being a lot better prepared for next year, that could well be nine, and then, well then anything's goes, we may, we may just see the unthinkable 10 :eek::eek:

same as federer, i was really hoping that he'd get that sixth consecutive win at wimbledon last year even though i find nadal a much more exciting and entertaining player

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Get real. He won't win. It's too tough, he's been out of training for too long. We're not talking about a weekend crit, it's the toughest cycle race in the world, in a sport that's one of the most demanding on physical endurance.

I am curious to see how well he does. Was he playing head games in the Giro, sandbagging it to throw off his Tour competition? Will he make one of his trademark attacks on the first mountain? Will he pull it off, or fail trying? What's going to happen with Contador? Do we have one Astana team, or two?

It's going to be an interesting Tour, from that perspective. No shortage of drama in this one.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish... Unstoppable? Green Jersey Winner? Thoughts?

Does Cav finish the tour this year and take the green jersey?

Does anyone see anyone else who can take him in a sprint?

Finally, Cav seems like a bright spot in the world of cycling doesn't he? Confident as hell, but always super appreciative of his teammates and their efforts.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you are alone. In the beginning years he was an arrogant SOB, squared. The cancer brought him back to earth. I've read many "stories" depicting him as selfish, rude, with a massive ego. I believe he has changed, though, for the "better." Meaning, he appears to be learning somewhat from his past; how he treated his ex-wife and others. However, he still has his issues. Now, with that being said, put him on a bicycle and crank him up for the tour, there are few in his class. His mental tenacity is second to no body. And watching that, for me, is (sometimes embarrassingly) inspiring. I don't care for his brashness off the bike, but that same attitude on a bike has a gripping power to behold. He walks the talk. He says what he is going to do and does it. Not easy to do. Maybe that is why those who chronically complain that "HE'S ON THE JUICE," deep down, truly admire the guy and can't get over their own dysfunctions to admit their genuine love for what he has achieved, thus far, based on what they haven't.

I definitely like him more now than I used to. But until he works out his "ego issues" I personally wouldn't go out of my way to make friends with him.

Aside from that, I want him to win the Tour this year because 1. He is quite capable, 2. of his age 3. I know he's not on the juice and I want certain people here on this forum to stew in their pot of self induced hatred 4. There is a story here that is far bigger than meets the eye 5. The French media needs another year to whine 6. Its healthy for the sport 7. no one has ever done anything like this before in the sport 8. America is on the ropes socially, economically and needs a hero(eos) to smooth out the impending catastrophic collapse that most people are in denial about. 9. He is a positive role model, now and 10. And, in general, it's a feel good story that is real, not a spin by the whor* MSM.

Go Lance!

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't mind Lance winning for a few reasons...1) I think the French are whining little girls. 2) Lance is getting old and now seems like an underdog due to age and I like underdogs. 3) I can't wait to hear the whining and gnashing of teeth on this forum if he wins. 4) See reason number 1.

Indurain said:

who are you trying to fool here with that nonsense?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well I think the way he easily beat his foes in 2005, surely he could win against all but perhaps Contador quite easily if he could even get to 90% of that power. I guess I'm just anticipating the excitement of it all. His return has definately made me want to watch the giro and tour a lot more. Once he starts winning I'll probably gringe again.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
@Robert Merivel

I think you'll find the MSM (mainstream media for those outside of ultra conservative US circles) is pushing a "Lance the Legend" agenda more or less worldwide.

With his and his sponsors lawyers monitoring (and threatening to sue) newspapers worldwide there is very little to say about Lance that isn't either sycophantic or just riding the waves of publicity.

Another point - you don't know he is clean. You just believe he is clean because you want to believe he is clean.

A

Anonymous

Mongol_Waaijer said:
Another point - you don't know he is clean. You just believe he is clean because you want to believe he is clean.

in the same way that those who know he is doping, dont KNOW he is doping, they just want to beleive he is doping..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
so many claims of French whining about Lance.....so little actual evidence.

The sports pages in France are full of Lance stories, there are people with the wristbands and anyone who stands to make any money out of the tour, ASO, the media, bike companies, hotels, restaurants are positively loving the extra attention Lance brings this year.

But don't let that stand in the way of a childish and ignorant "French are whiny little girls who can't win wars or bike races" stereotype will you?

LA opinion in France is more or less the same as everywhere else. Casual "3 week" observers are fascinated by him, and those with a longer term interest in the sport tend to be sceptical.

Lance is great at winding up his base though, with these great stories about how he fears for his safety. He will make a great conservative politician in the future.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
in the same way that those who know he is doping, dont KNOW he is doping, they just want to beleive he is doping..

everyone makes their own judgement based on the evidence available.

Some evaluations of the evidence I respect more than others.

Some are just blissfully unaware of the evidence, or just dismiss it as some sort of bizarre plot against the man.

Some are so blinded by hate for the man they interpret everything to suggest that Lance is a total fraud.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
He'll win...clean

Ask yourself this.. Why would armstrong after winning the tour 7 times and never tested positive for anything, come back to the tdf and risk his entire career if he was on ped's now? And if he isn't on them now he couldn't seriously be considering challenging the overall could he? He definately doesn't need the money (and isn't getting paid anyway), he has nothing to prove and alot to lose as far as i can see.... BUT i can't see him losing. The tour is his thing and judging by his condition in the Giro, all things considered, he'll win it for sure... and i totally agree that the tour with him in it is alot more exciting to watch, even the lance haters would have to agree with that! Sorry i've been reading alot of lance hating posts but no way can i see myself turning into one. In saying that there's alot of other riders personalities i like as much as his, but there's no others that compare in the tour. He's good for the sport in my opinion.... Bring it on this weekend... yeeeeha!!

TRENDING THREADS