• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I think Vaughters really wants to sign Contador:

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Evans

blackcat said:
Evans second tt has always been inferior to his first tt at the Tour.

that may tell you something. The guys who win the final tt, well, anyone with a modicum of insight about the sport, knows how that is achieved.

Not sure of your point.
My point is that Evans second TT in 2007 was much faster and longer than Contadors 09 TT. Evans beat Cancellera in that same TT by nearly 2 mins and Leipheimer did by nearly 2:30.

Do you suspect Evans couldn't have achieved this performance clean either?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
cyclingmad said:
Not sure of your point.
My point is that Evans second TT in 2007 was much faster and longer than Contadors 09 TT. Evans beat Cancellera in that same TT by nearly 2 mins and Leipheimer did by nearly 2:30.

Do you suspect Evans couldn't have achieved this performance clean either?
yes, I suspect most top 10's in the final tt, are not achieved clean.

But dont think Evans is getting the blood bags or intra tour o2 boost. If he is doing his medical program, perhaps using recovery "theraphy".

Evans performances, are around the wattage of Lemond. But I am sceptical of everyone.

Where was Evans in 2007? About 4th? Or third. Levi won, then, I forget, Evans may have been second.

Actually, I might have to revise. Levi's tt in 2007, was one of the fastest tts, in that length, and conditions. Not a downhill tt like Lemond. And Evans was about 40 seconds from Levi.

So, I might have to revise my thesis above, getting that close to LL.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
yes, I suspect most top 10's in the final tt, are not achieved clean.

But dont think Evans is getting the blood bags or intra tour o2 boost. If he is doing his medical program, perhaps using recovery "theraphy".

Evans performances, are around the wattage of Lemond. But I am sceptical of everyone.

Where was Evans in 2007? About 4th? Or third. Levi won, then, I forget, Evans may have been second.

Actually, I might have to revise. Levi's tt in 2007, was one of the fastest tts, in that length, and conditions. Not a downhill tt like Lemond. And Evans was about 40 seconds from Levi.

So, I might have to revise my thesis above, getting that close to LL.

Blackcat no need to revise your thesis.

I have watched television and yootube video of these suspect cyclist. I have determined and calculated all relevant power numbers. My conclusive test results provided for your pleasure.

Lemond without question is clean, he actually needs some drugs to stay coherent. Refuses even Tylenol. He is big man and will accept no substitute for pain.

Evans while suspect is most clean in current era.

LL very suspect - not just his power calculations but past business relationships.

Contador – over the top in your face power and doping alert!

Armstrong – previous king of over the top in your face power and doping alerts. Now king of twitter accounts.

Garmin Team – very very suspect all riders,,,,including Tom café Danilson who after years of cycling squares and dnf’s due to impact with portojohns has suddenly “transformed” and lost 9kilos according to Univ. Sports television coverage here in New York City.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
RHitaliano said:
Blackcat no need to revise your thesis.

I have watched television and yootube video of these suspect cyclist. I have determined and calculated all relevant power numbers. My conclusive test results provided for your pleasure.

Lemond without question is clean, he actually needs some drugs to stay coherent. Refuses even Tylenol. He is big man and will accept no substitute for pain.

Evans while suspect is most clean in current era.

LL very suspect - not just his power calculations but past business relationships.

Contador – over the top in your face power and doping alert!

Armstrong – previous king of over the top in your face power and doping alerts. Now king of twitter accounts.

Garmin Team – very very suspect all riders,,,,including Tom café Danilson who after years of cycling squares and dnf’s due to impact with portojohns has suddenly “transformed” and lost 9kilos according to Univ. Sports television coverage here in New York City.

:D:D brilliant stuff :D

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Contador made Lance Armstrong look like a pretender in the Tour de France, and The Uniballer's blood profile is the picture of what 2 refill transfusions look like, and you think Contador's profile would look cleaner than that......did you watch the final TT......this is your position...

if thats what you believe then i really dont know what to say...except sorry.

yes i watched the TT , my position on what , contador made everyone look like a pretender at the TDF , ............whats your point , im still missing it........

still sorry you cant get past the whole ' oh everyone is doped thing'

i bet you also believe Carlos Sastre was doped when he won on the alpe and then the tour

A

Anonymous

lagartija said:
yes i watched the TT , my position on what , contador made everyone look like a pretender at the TDF , ............whats your point , im still missing it........

still sorry you cant get past the whole ' oh everyone is doped thing'

i bet you also believe Carlos Sastre was doped when he won on the alpe and then the tour

Yea, I used to have my head in the sand too...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Back on topic.

What if Contador's values are good? Supposedly his numbers are spotless. So much so that the UCI has a list of riders they track, 50 in all.....Contador is not on that list.

supposedly there will be news on this later this week.

Race Radio said:
Back on topic.

What if Contador's values are good? Supposedly his numbers are spotless. So much so that the UCI has a list of riders they track, 50 in all.....Contador is not on that list.

supposedly there will be news on this later this week.

I thought the fifty were the top fifty riders in the rankings regardless of their bio passport numbers.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I thought the fifty were the top fifty riders in the rankings regardless of their bio passport numbers.

No - this is what Pat McQuaid said in June in relation to the upcoming TdF.

"....A group of around 50 were selected by UCI, ASO [Amaury Sport Organisation] and AFLD [French anti-doping agency] comprising the race favourites, leading riders in each team and some targeted riders; they will get extra testing on top of the others."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-clarifies-50-targeted-riders

Of course the interesting question here is - were those that made the list of 50 riders only subject to more testing for the TdF only or do they continue to get extra testing?

So can we finally bury the idea of Garmin-Slipstream as the "clean" team now that Contador is being signed? This makes the entire PR campaign by the team in the previous years a cynical joke. All the signs were there: Vaughters continuing to uphold omerta, the giant performance gains of some of the team's riders, the ridiculous explanations for those gains, etc. The PR campaigns by Armstrong, Hamilton, and FLandis were bad enough; but his seems far worse. It looks like the work of opportunistic hypocrites.

This sport blows.

BroDeal said:
So can we finally bury the idea of Garmin-Slipstream as the "clean" team now that Contador is being signed? This makes the entire PR campaign by the team in the previous years a cynical joke. All the signs were there: Vaughters continuing to uphold omerta, the giant performance gains of some of the team's riders, the ridiculous explanations for those gains, etc. The PR campaigns by Armstrong, Hamilton, and FLandis were bad enough; but his seems far worse. It looks like the work of opportunistic hypocrites.

This sport blows.

Has Contador officially signed with Garmin? I haven't seen any reports confirming this.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:

This sport blows.

my thoughts exactly.. although i got slated big time for suggesting my disssapointment with JV if this turned out to be true when i brought it up a few months ago.. (i also always saw garmin as a development team.. they have a potential clean tour rider in brad.. why sign AC for one yearr)

If i had to stake my house on one rider "riding dirty" it would be AC.. maybe its time i showed a little bit of faith in JV, maybe he knows something we dont.... Or maybe hes just decided its worth taking a risk.. if AC gets busted its AC thats dirty, not garmin..

my gut feeling is its sponsor pressure.. and as long as sponsors want top riders, tour challengers, it rather puts DS's in a dilemma...

Bronstein said:
Has Contador officially signed with Garmin? I haven't seen any reports confirming this.

The British press seems to be reporting it as part of the bargain for Wiggins being sold to Sky. The money, which is far more than Wiggins is worth, will be used to sign Contador. Maybe it is not true, but the press reporting Wiggins being sold obviously used other than official sources. Maybe they have been given info about Contador.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
my thoughts exactly.. although i got slated big time for suggesting my disssapointment with JV if this turned out to be true when i brought it up a few months ago.. (i also always saw garmin as a development team.. they have a potential clean tour rider in brad.. why sign AC for one yearr)

If i had to stake my house on one rider "riding dirty" it would be AC.. maybe its time i showed a little bit of faith in JV, maybe he knows something we dont.... Or maybe hes just decided its worth taking a risk.. if AC gets busted its AC thats dirty, not garmin..

my gut feeling is its sponsor pressure.. and as long as sponsors want top riders, tour challengers, it rather puts DS's in a dilemma...

The source of the story is the Daily Mail.

Dim - would I be correct in saying that the Daily Mail is a rag? ...The transfer season in football must be quiet?

I will suspend my opinions for the moment.

Dr. Maserati said:

Dim - would I be correct in saying that the Daily Mail is a rag? ...The transfer season in football must be quiet?

For the moment I will keep quiet on it.

The Guardian is reporting it also. Their report includes the following:

Most of the places in Team Sky have already been filled by Brailsford and the acquisition of the 29-year-old Wiggins is key to their stated ambition of winning the Tour de France in the next five years. The compensation will allow Garmin to sign the winner of this year's Tour, Spain's Alberto Contador.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Bro - Good spot!

This is the part that unsettles me
"Britain's Team Sky have made Bradley Wiggins their team leader, it was reported last night"

They haven't just pinched it from The Mail which I also checked.

I wont comment until confirmation - but then if theres confirmation my comments will be unprintable....

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
So far it looks like Daily Mail has ran a story based on a rumour, and the Guardian is reporting on that. Note neither article quotes any sources, and the Guardian uses the phrase "it was reported last night" (which usually means we don't have our own source or confirmation). The Daily Mail hasn't even said where they've got the scoop from and include no quotes from any of the parties involved.

Not saying it's not accurate, but I don't think an unattributed story in a tabloid holds much more credence than a post on a web-forum, for all we know, the source is "the Hog"...

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:

im going with the telegraph report... i have looked at the mail once in the last ten years to see what that idiot chef had to say.. :D

twitter meanwhile is strangely quiet on the brad and cath front.. not like them at all..

A

Anonymous

dimspace said:
im going with the telegraph report... i have looked at the mail once in the last ten years to see what that idiot chef had to say.. :D

twitter meanwhile is strangely quiet on the brad and cath front.. not like them at all..

Must be close to a done deal. The Hog was right all along?

A

Anonymous

Bala Verde said:
Can you give me a refresher, what did he say?

He has been saying since August or so that Contador was leaving and for the past couple of weeks that the three way deal was a done deal. He acted like he knew some behind the scenes info as though he has some direct contact. I think the guy is funny, but thought he was just trolling a bit. Maybe not?

Then again, maybe he is just a moderately good gambler because it isn't like anyone has been saying "No way"...well except for JV, Astana, Wiggins, and Contador. And the principal players are not usually a good source. Maybe The Hog is just shooting for some legitimacy here and he doubled down on a rumor that had a decent shot of being true?

TRENDING THREADS