• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Idiocy on Everest

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I will add one more thing...
there are some very wealthy peak baggers ...and some not so wealthy...that have completely 'adopted' and helped their favorite Sherpas into businesses and sophisticated employment opportunities.

Bonds are formed during the long expeditions and many of those westerners that came to climb have been generous and kind and become benefactors to many Sherpas. It's not unusual to hear of some Sherpas spending some time in Chamonix or Japan or other international climbing destinations...due to the connections they make with the foreigners.

16 Sherpas now stated to have died.

A video of the avalanche surfaced. Partly shown on Discovery. This appears to be the raw video. You don't see anything graphic, so don't worry. But it does show just how massive the avalanche was. Link here.

An acquaintance of mine, a much better climber than me, was actually at Everest when this happened, but completely out of harm's way. I don't want to put words in his mouth, only to say that he's worried lost in all the talk is a concentration on what it takes in the long run to help the Sherpas and their families.

I hear what he is saying, certainly.

But as far as the scope of what's been discussed here in this thread, I'll stand by my previous statements.

Nepali officials have decided that the ridiculously popular South Col route to Everest will be changed at the start of this year's climbing season, following last year's disaster that killed 16 Sherpas, as mentioned in Alpe d'Huez's post above

The increased avalanche risk of Everest's west shoulder, made the final stretch leading up to Camp 1 more dangerous. Though, of course, it never was a sensible idea to begin with. It's just the easiest way up - and was probably introduced in the 1990s to get more inexperienced "climbers" to the top.

The "new" route stays pretty much in the middle of the glacier, above the steep section of the Khumbu icefall. Huge crevasses in that "new" section, but it's comparatively safe.

Keep in mind that the route through the most dangerous section of the icefall will be the same - and as dangerous - as ever. No wonder the Sherpas want to supply the "Camp 1" sites with helicopters - but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

"new" and old routes:
2vcxbet.jpg

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) - An avalanche triggered by a massive earthquake swept across Nepal's Mount Everest region on Saturday, killing at least 10 climbers and guides, slamming into a section of the mountaineering base camp, and leaving an unknown number of people injured and missing, officials said.

Numerous climbers may now be cut off on routes leading to the top of the world's highest peak.

The avalanche began on Mount Kumori, a 7,000-meter (22,966-foot) -high mountain just a few miles from Everest, gathering strength as it headed toward the base camp where climbing expeditions have been preparing to make their summit attempts in the coming weeks, said Ang Tshering of the Nepal Mountaineering Association.

The avalanche - or perhaps a series of avalanches hidden in a massive white cloud - plowed into a part of base camp, a sprawling seasonal village of climbers, guides and porters, flattening at least 30 tents, Tshering said. With communication very limited at Everest, it was not immediately clear how many of those injured and killed were at base camp, and how many were elsewhere on the mountain.

Survivors reached over Internet messaging services, however, described a scene of terror as the snow and ice roared through the nearby Khumbu Icefall and into base camp.

Azim Afif, the 27-year-old leader of a climbing team from University of Technology Malaysia, said in an interview on the service WhatsApp that his group was in a meal tent waiting for lunch when suddenly the table and everything around them began shaking.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/288968...st?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

People undertake adventures like climbing Everest precisely because of the perceived danger, not in spite of it. So I wouldn't expect news like this to deter other climbers.

Faces of the missing: Nepalese officials warn death toll of devastating quake could hit 10,000 as scores of American families are among the thousands searching for those still unaccounted for

Three Americans who were on Mount Everest at the time have been confirmed dead

Avalanches were triggered by a 7.8 magnitude earthquake that ripped through Nepal, India, China and Bangladesh

Up to 2,500 people have died in the disaster across the Himalayas with scores still unaccounted for in the region

Everest basecamp was buried by deadly avalanches that were sparked by the earthquake on Saturday morning

Among mountaineers to have died is American Google executive Dan Fredinburg and Dr Marisa Eve Girawong

Denver-born Tom Taplin, 61, was recording a documentary at the basecamp when the avalanche hit

The earthquake is Nepal's worst natural disaster for 81 years while Everest has never seen so many die on one day

By Wills Robinson and Mia De Graaf and Jennifer Smith for MailOnline

Published: 10:24 EST, 26 April 2015 | Updated: 15:29 EST, 26 April 2015

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3056263/The-hunt-survivors-Nepalese-officials-warn-death-toll-devastating-quake-hit-10-000-scores-American-families-thousands-searching-unaccounted-for.html

Here is a more direct link to the video. Absolutely terrifying. A lot of f-bombs, just so you know ahead:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1972676/first-authentic-footage-everest-earthquake-avalanche-emerges

Looking at where the epicenter was, there are other mountains in that area that see a lot of climbing and trekking traffic. Annapurna being the most prominent. But Dhaulagiri and Manaslu are also much closer to the epicenter than Everest, though about 1,000 people are at Everest at any given point this time of year, many, many more than the other peaks.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Here is a more direct link to the video. Absolutely terrifying. A lot of f-bombs, just so you know ahead:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1972676/first-authentic-footage-everest-earthquake-avalanche-emerges
I'd be curious to know who had the equipment (and presence of mind) to keep on recording this with whatever else was going on. (I mean, kudos to him/her.)

Personally, I'd just drop all unnecessary equipment and make sure everyone takes cover and is safe. In other words, there's no time to piss around with a camera.

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
...I'd be curious to know who had the equipment (and presence of mind) to keep on recording this with whatever else was going on. (I mean, kudos to him/her.)...

Put me in mind of this 1980 video of a telly news cameraman who'd gone to Mt St. Helens (in Washington state in the USA) on rumour of a pending eruption of the 'extinct' volcano. After the eruption, enveloped in ash and fleeing for his life, he found himself in such dire straits that at 2:58, he says, "At this moment, I honest to God believe I'm dead."

Then he had a Monty Python moment and realised he wasn't dead yet. Sometimes it's difficult to distinguish courage from foolhardiness.

Time to resurrect this thread. Looks like the 'traffic jams' on Everest aren't getting any better....

https://twitter.com/nimsdai/status/1131456675897053184

j10wsk.jpg

@nimsdai

#ProjectPossible update. I summited Everest at 0530 and Lhotse at 1545 despite heavy traffic. I am now at Makalu base camp. Will be going directly for summit push from base camp. I will update once Makalu is complete. Thank you for my support especially my sponsors.

12:07 AM - 23 May 2019

@Benfogle

Ben Fogle Retweeted Nimsdai

To all those asking if the photo of the queue was photoshopped? It wasn’t.

7:48 AM - 23 May 2019
https://twitter.com/Benfogle/status/1131572739746291714

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
That photo makes me sick. What kind of deranged mind would want to be part of that?

The old Mountaineers saying of "Freedom of the Hills" seems like antiquated whimsy.
This kind of a traffic jam looks especially dangerous... I still hold the opinion that making it up the mountain might feel great. But coming down is where the bodies start faltering, and falling. (Not that I would wish that on anyone, btw.)

If they are in any way connected to each other (or even if not), if one body goes so will the rest of them.

Well, they are on a fixed line. Though if the line gave way (it's happened), anyone close to the break could easily fall off the mountain. It also would force everyone to climb on their own, without direct safety, or rely on one another (the way Norgay & Hillary did, or pretty much anyone before about 1990).

Another couple of deaths now. Many reports blaming heavy traffic (like that surprises anyone).

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, they are on a fixed line. Though if the line gave way (it's happened), anyone close to the break could easily fall off the mountain. It also would force everyone to climb on their own, without direct safety, or rely on one another (the way Norgay & Hillary did, or pretty much anyone before about 1990).

Another couple of deaths now. Many reports blaming heavy traffic (like that surprises anyone).
The BBC had a couple of interesting articles recently about the death toll on various mountains, naturally Nepal's tourism authority denies any wrongdoing by having issued too many climbing permits on Everest. (Would anyone expect otherwise?) https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48415290

True, the weather has always been a factor because there is such a very small window of climb-ability, but you can't deny the traffic jams haven't contributed to the death toll on Everest even though Everest is technically not the most deadly, or even the most difficult to climb.

Here's a second link comparing the death toll of the various mountains. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-47418215

TRENDING THREADS