• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia 2014

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
DFA123 said:
Well it was Valverde's to lose. He lead them for the last 300m and still won the sprint for 2nd comfortably. He over-estimated what Gilbert had left - awful tactics.

I think he wanted Gilbert to chase again, but Sanchez could never win a sprint against him and Albasini so that's completely pointless. How can you seriously mess up a race twice in the same way, in a week?

MBotero said:
Ridiculous end to this,so Martin goes and everybody is looking around instead of trying to follow him.Well,they got what they deserved,good for Martin bad for them.

Watch Verona '99 again. Everybody swings to the right, looks at each other. Everybody swings to the left except Freire, takes a look at each other. Everybody tries to see who will lead out the sprint, Freire just stays on his side of the road and keeps riding, then wins.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Wellens has been great this year. Really look forward to see how he does as (co)leader in april classics. He definately earned that role
When I look at Lotto shirt I remind of JvDB but the contrast in Wellens style is just overwhelming. Great, great rider.
Two more thoughts: 1) Just think of Valverde record this year if he wasn't so...I don't even have words to define it. 2) Lombardia was probably the best big hilly race of the year. That's shocking.

what a trolololol finish unbelievable.

i think indeed samu is the most selfish rider in cycling history, he saw that he couldn't make a gap and instead of helping phil, he just stopped lol, mother of god. i could swear that phil didn't expect that.
valverde, the usual stuff what can you say, he can't change now
dan martin, superb stuff from him even if i was afraid that he will crash in the last corner. 2 monuments and counting now

overall it was a good race

De Snelle Duif said:
I think he wanted Gilbert to chase again, but Sanchez could never win a sprint against him and Albasini so that's completely pointless. How can you seriously mess up a race twice in the same way, in a week?

To be fair, it was Gerrans who messed up the WC win. Valverde wasn't the clear favorite from that group, so he didn't have the onus of reeling in that cheeky Pole.

Grabbing his brakes today right as Martin jumped was pretty damn silly, though.

Eyeballs Out said:
I thought it was a decent race. Plenty of attacks. The route needs a big/bigger climb at half way but I like the finish. It's not a predictable Murito and gives plenty of riders a chance if they have the legs (if Wellens can get a gap)

The attacks never looked like they had a chance of succeeding though. The bookies favourites before the race were all in the final selection (except Kwiat); there was never any real suspense - even the finish was an anti climax.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
what a trolololol finish unbelievable.

i think indeed samu is the most selfish rider in cycling history, he saw that he couldn't make a gap and instead of helping phil, he just stopped lol, mother of god. i could swear that phil didn't expect that.
valverde, the usual stuff what can you say, he can't change now
dan martin, superb stuff from him even if i was afraid that he will crash in the last corner. 2 monuments and counting now

overall it was a good race

It doesn't really matter, because if Gilbert finished 7th in a sprint of a group like that, he wasn't good enough anyway.

Piti4Podiums said:
:confused: Why? It's not that anything new happened today, Contador can't race one-day races properly, Valverde throws certain victories away, why would anything change after today? It's not like Valverde wins such a ranking for the first time :eek:

Well Valverde demanded more money because he was #1 on the ranking earlier this year:eek:

Hugo Koblet said:
Eh what? Of course Valverde doesn't ride just to beat Contador :eek:

Of course not, but beating Contador does make him really happy, because in his mind that makes him a better rider. There's an on-going feud between them. Valverde wants to be Spain's best rider.

Escarabajo said:
I don't consider Martin a nobody. I think the route was soft but Martin is a great rider and a deserving winner.

+1.

why he wasnt on many favorites list is cuz of all of the falls. he has done well at lombardy and should be a two-time winner of LBL.

he seems to do well on these long hilly races.

they should put more KM back into races and the GTs.

Arredondo said:
It doesn't really matter, because if Gilbert finished 7th in a sprint of a group like that, he wasn't good enough anyway.

phil is the type of champion who only cares about the win. he already said it multiple times. he's not valverde. he most likely didn't care or maybe he was shocked by what samu did. or maybe didn't have the legs.
still, you don't do that to him,what samu did. it was ridiculous

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
karma after liege which he would have won. martin has a good sprint on him.

hesj once again the perfect teammate.

martin played it perfectly. once he couldnt get through to attack on the last climb, he sat at the back as BMC and Valverde tried to control everything and work to keep the group away. beautiful tactical ride by garmin and martin. and what a fantastic naturally talented rider!! the greatest of his generation!!

that's pure supposition

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Well Valverde demanded more money because he was #1 on the ranking earlier this year:eek:

I think that is kind of obvious, when you negotiate about salaries you might wanna take every argument there is, and that's a good one. :eek: