• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia 2014

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Big Doopie said:
i think people are missing the point. martin waited until everyone else was spent. martin also has an excellent kick and point of speed. after 260kms, the others couldn't do anything. there's a pretty good chance martin could have won the sprint anyway.

I don't agree with that. Valverde could easily have closed the gap, but was scared of dragging Gilbert into a winning position so called his bluff. Gilbert didn't have anything left though and by the time Valverde took the lead himself it was too late.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
phil is the type of champion who only cares about the win. he already said it multiple times. he's not valverde. he most likely didn't care or maybe he was shocked by what samu did. or maybe didn't have the legs.
still, you don't do that to him,what samu did. it was ridiculous

If a 2nd place is up for grabs, you at least try for 100%.

He didn't made a real impact when he attacked on the top of Alta Bergamo either, while normally he would at least put the others into a real spot of bother.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Well Valverde demanded more money because he was #1 on the ranking earlier this year:eek:

I think that is kind of obvious, when you negotiate about salaries you might wanna take every argument there is, and that's a good one. :eek:

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
BigMac said:
Apparentely Contador injured in 'bad knee' and feeling lots of pain. Report from Tour de Jose.

Good reason to end the season.

He wasn't even with the best 15 riders in the final, so it would be useluss to start in Beijging anyway.

BigMac said:
Apparentely Contador injured in 'bad knee' and feeling lots of pain. Report from Tour de Jose.

he's just whining again, he didn't even crash on his knee

Piti4Podiums said:
I think that is kind of obvious, when you negotiate about salaries you might wanna take every argument there is, and that's a good one. :eek:

#1 with not even half the season done means nothing:eek: number of races ridden and a rider's goals at that point are key

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Piti4Podiums said:

It's completely standard in all sports. Those people do their best to negotiate the highest salaries they can.

Arredondo said:
It doesn't really matter, because if Gilbert finished 7th in a sprint of a group like that, he wasn't good enough anyway.
Gilbert wasn't going to win a normal sprint, but what we know for certain is that BMC couldn't win by letting Martin go. BMC had two riders in that group. One of them had spent the last kilometer stubbornly trying to get a gap, but failed. The other one, who's faster and has more of a kick, hadn't spent much during the descent. What the former should have done is obvious to everyone.

Would Gilbert have won? Probably not, no. Doesn't mean it wouldn't have been the right tactics at the time, and therefore it doesn't change anything about Samu being an egoitistic, selfish rider who thinks entirely too highly of himself, as he's proven countless times before.

Arredondo said:
If a 2nd place is up for grabs, you at least try for 100%.

He didn't made a real impact when he attacked on the top of Alta Bergamo either, while normally he would at least put the others into a real spot of bother.

If you're Valverde or Canc, sure.

Gilbert and Boonen only care about 1st. No reason to sprint for a 2nd place.

Arredondo said:
Good reason to end the season.

He wasn't even with the best 15 riders in the final, so it would be useluss to start in Beijging anyway.

yeah, he'll probably finish top 5 or so, and he's never gonna make up 66 points on Valverde.

Not sure why he can never get out of la Vuelta in good shape.

roundabout said:
How much does he pay the media to publish the tales of his "woes"?

Not sure. It's quite pathetic though. Just makes him seem like a whiner and I don't like whiners.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
Gilbert wasn't going to win a normal sprint, but what we know for certain is that BMC couldn't win by letting Martin go. BMC had two riders in that group. One of them had spent the last kilometer stubbornly trying to get a gap, but failed. The other one, who's faster and has more of a kick, hadn't spent much during the descent. What the former should have done is obvious to everyone.

Would Gilbert have won? Probably not, no. Doesn't mean it wouldn't have been the right tactics at the time, and therefore it doesn't change anything about Samu being an egoitistic, selfish rider who thinks entirely too highly of himself, as he's proven countless times before.

I'm not denying Samu is a incredibily selfish rider. He is. And at this point of time in his career, it's pathetic.

I was just talking about Gilbert's sprint. And the impression he made on the last climb.

LaFlorecita said:
Stop posting garbage. just go drool over the clean and naturally talented rider Dan Martin

y do you persist in bringing up clinic-related material here? seriously? what is your problem?

i made no mention of "clean" -- you did.

he does have a natural pedigree -- which is what i alluded to.

stop blaming me for your clinic-obsessed thoughts.

LaFlorecita said:
You're the one bringing up clinic matters. Just go back to the clinic where you can speculate about doping all you like.

Again:

i made no mention of "clean" -- you did.

he does have a natural pedigree -- which is what i alluded to.

stop blaming me for your clinic-obsessed thoughts.

sorry your little guy did not do well. stop being a bad sport.

webvan said:
Busy being useless as usual, I hope Sanchez gets fired/"not renewed", crap season, whining about WC selection, and now this ?!

jens_attacks said:
phil is the type of champion who only cares about the win. he already said it multiple times. he's not valverde. he most likely didn't care or maybe he was shocked by what samu did. or maybe didn't have the legs.
still, you don't do that to him,what samu did. it was ridiculous
:confused: What did Samu do wrong? Gilbert had tried his luck and it didn't work so Samu tried to get clear on the descent which was a good idea, it just didn't work. He certainly wasn't going to win in the sprint. Martin had impeccable timing as one team had two riders and both had just made efforts.
Big Doopie said:
i think people are missing the point. martin waited until everyone else was spent. martin also has an excellent kick and point of speed. after 260kms, the others couldn't do anything. there's a pretty good chance martin could have won the sprint anyway.

Martin had great timing but there were guys who could have gone with him. And I highly, highly doubt he would have won the sprint. Still, a good winner...with really, really bad teeth.