• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia 2022, one day monument, October 8, farewell to Nibali and Valverde

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Il Lombardia has been the focal point of the entire season for me. I've been building up to it since May. I've posted well within myself all season long. I'm about to unleash a monster peak performance on Saturday. Will it be enough? If Pog is a little below his best, then maybe ...
Luckily there is a suitable Clinic thread for this incoming performance

Il Lombardia has been the focal point of the entire season for me. I've been building up to it since May. I've posted well within myself all season long. I'm about to unleash a monster peak performance on Saturday. Will it be enough? If Pog is a little below his best, then maybe ...

I know who u are. After crushing Pogi your next post: "Next year? Why not? I don't feel that old. It will be my last season and I will take it one race at a time."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ilmaestro99
One looks like a grandpa and one didn't even make the poster, not very believable...
Too be fair, it’s not like the one off the poster and Italy have even an acquaintance relationship. More of a, they went to school together and sometimes interacted at lunch. One time the old man pulled one over on Italy, the other time Italy stole his lunch and lunch money for a year.

I agree: how do some folks see him being a top contender? Because he was 12th last year (not bad) and a bunch of lackluster performances in other classics?
Because he has a history of doing something one time and then being really good at it the second time. Last year he worked for Roglic after the last long ascent and then let the group go after some attacks. This year he's clearly better and has six race days before compared to one, Giro dell'Emilia, last year. Looks like one of the best before the race but yeah hard to say what it will be like with Civiglio after 231 km.

What is the weather going to be like?

Reactions: gunara and Sciatic

"Paolo Bettini, one of the greatest Italian cyclists in recent years, took an amazing win at the 2006 Il Lombardia. The Quick-Step–Davitamon rider had just won the road world championships the week before in Salzburg, Austria. The win was a rarity in pro cycling, with only 6 riders before him winning Lombardia in the rainbow jersey.

The victory was especially emotional as Bettini’s brother Sauro had died two days after Paolo had won the worlds. His older brother was in a terrible car accident and would die later in hospital. He had been organizing a large party for his brother’s win that would take place after Bettini finished his season following Lombardia."

Last edited:
UAE guys spotted near Como. Almeida looking weird with his aero helmet.

FeY8A5BakAAnpKi

FeY8CYTagAIoi9h

Vincenzo Nibali – The farewell interview
The Shark of Messina looks back on his career before his farewell at Il Lombardia

"I’m happy but relaxed about it all, at least for the moment. I’m sure that’ll change at Il Lombardia but I don’t want to live my last race as something dramatic or sad, I want to enjoy it all,” Nibali told Cyclingnews during an exclusive interview.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So the two legends finish their runs on Saturday! They've been there for most of my watching "career" so their absence will be felt strongly and an important part of cycling will be gone. Will Teddy spoil the grandpas party? Alejandro strategically let him win on Tuesday to lessen his hunger a bit but no more sprinting gifts! And Vincenzo won't be looking back when descending 100 kph (before that he only needs to stay on Teddy's wheel uphill - easy peasy!)

UAE guys spotted near Como. Almeida looking weird with his aero helmet.

FeY8A5BakAAnpKi

FeY8CYTagAIoi9h
You know, I’ve started thinking Pogačar isn‘t the body type for GC even though he‘s won two Tours. It‘s really weird because obviously he‘s one of the best GC riders at the moment. Also I shouldn’t really trust pictures because perspective distorts a lot sometimes. Anyway, I‘d really like to see Pogi at Flanders again next year and maybe even Roubaix.

You know, I’ve started thinking Pogačar isn‘t the body type for GC even though he‘s won two Tours. It‘s really weird because obviously he‘s one of the best GC riders at the moment. Also I shouldn’t really trust pictures because perspective distorts a lot sometimes. Anyway, I‘d really like to see Pogi at Flanders again next year and maybe even Roubaix.

First people started with this talk about Evenepoel now its Pogačar the target. He clearly is no skinny climber like other GC riders but looking at his results he doesn't need to in order to be the best GC rider of the last two years. And its probably his body type together with his natural talent that allows him to win a race like Liège or be the strongest in this year's Flanders so I don't think he is going to change it anytime soon.

TRENDING THREADS