• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia, sunday, october 6th, 2013

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Or finish in Aprica :cool:
But no, the finish in Lecco is fine, it's just the route that is a problem.

The race in 2011 was really spectaculair, with the attack of Nibali and Gilbert on the Ghisallo. It shows that the route isn't a problem, more the weather conditions and how they big guys feel themselves. I can imagine that due to the bad weather last year, everybody waited for the Vergano, because they were already tired.

Arredondo said:
The race in 2011 was really spectaculair, with the attack of Nibali and Gilbert on the Ghisallo. It shows that the route isn't a problem, more the weather conditions and how they big guys feel themselves. I can imagine that due to the bad weather last year, everybody waited for the Vergano, because they were already tired.
2011 was very promising, but both Nibali and Gilbert failed because of the route. I don't think we'll see any big guns attacking early.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Eshnar said:
2011 was very promising, but both Nibali and Gilbert failed because of the route. I don't think we'll see any big guns attacking early.

But in current cycling, are there many classic races where you see attacks from big favorites at let's say 80 k to go? I don't think so.

Eshnar said:

Gilbert was not that good anymore at that point in the season, very tired. I think he's in better shape now.

Also, a shame that Cancellara does not ride this. It is only one more week and he might as well test his Firenze form here.

Where to watch??

Might have an opportunity to go to the race - if I can get the logistics to align! - so looking for suggestions from anyone who knows the race and the route and the area and so on and so on...

... great spots to go?

IndianCyclist said:
The protagonists may be the same first 4 of the WC race

Yes, to change Valverde for Urán becouse Alex is not going to ride. I guess Rui Costa will do.

You must take into consideration people that crash in the Worlds, as Dan Martin or Evans and people that was working as Scarponi, Visconti,...as well as Contador, but if Roche is there maybe he will be the leader.

Betancur is getting better as well.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
Yes, to change Valverde for Urán becouse Alex is not going to ride. I guess Rui Costa will do.

You must take into consideration people that crash in the Worlds, as Dan Martin or Evans and people that was working as Scarponi, Visconti,...as well as Contador, but if Roche is there maybe he will be the leader.

Betancur is getting better as well.

I expect Scarponi for the podium. If Italy played it better in the finale sunday, i think Scarpa would be up there with the top 4.

Piti and Italy, it's never going to happen i guess.

So will one of these pick up the win

322-PIC230119484.jpg

or will the favorites control the race for a sprint up the last climb. Yes, wait until the very end for J-Rod's drive and see if that helps the chance to pick up the win. 22 DSs with the same idea. A dime a dozen.