• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ilnur Zakarin Discussion thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One of these guys will crack in the final stages. Maybe both will crack. It's a matter of who will crack less...it also depends on the descents. I wonder if Sunweb will try something on one of the descents to put pressure on Zakarin. Otherwise I'd give the slight edge to Zakarin, despite the 27 second deficit he has on Keldermann.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
One of these guys will crack in the final stages. Maybe both will crack. It's a matter of who will crack less...it also depends on the descents. I wonder if Sunweb will try something on one of the descents to put pressure on Zakarin. Otherwise I'd give the slight edge to Zakarin, despite the 27 second deficit he has on Keldermann.
if memory serves, zaka in the giro was showing great climbing capacity in the 3d week, but was literally a non-factor in a last time trial...

now contrast it with what we saw in the last 2-3 stages - the same climbing along the best if not a tad better and...a tt-ing pedigree today he was missing in the giro.

my guess: his recovery is better NOW than at the giro and he therefore may be quite aggressive in the remaining stages to bank it. whether it will be enough to for a podium, i dont know, but i'd bet on him vs the kelder-kid given my observations hold...

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
It's between Kelderman, Zakarin, and MAL for the 3rd spot. Contador is just gonna light a fire and watch it burn. I'm hoping either Zak or MAL takes it.
So you don't want a dutch in the podium? :surprised:

Haha, yes. Froome to lose 5minutes on ANgliru so Zakarin, Nibali and Contador can occupy the podium ;)

Pinched off 15seconds already, it's looking promising . Contador has become more of a threat though.

I wonder if he should've went for it earlier, he looked pretty good to me.

Zakarin was crafty, he couldn't have gone earlier. He first let Kelderman try and close down Nibali, so to test his strength, and then went when he saw Kelderman was already at his limit.
Smart ride, 15s is enough if he does the same on Angliru.

But I think his main worry for podium is not Kelderman, but Contador.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Zakarin was crafty, he couldn't have gone earlier. He first let Kelderman try and close down Nibali, so to test his strength, and then went when he saw Kelderman was already at his limit.
Smart ride, 15s is enough if he does the same on Angliru.

But I think his main worry for podium is not Kelderman, but Contador.

I think zakarin is the rider with the biggest chance to win the vuelta, if he attacks from the bottom of the angliru, he skowed in the giro how strong he gets, can't see anyone be better than him.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Breh said:
Status quo with Kelderman. Contador only gained 4seconds. 2nd place is only 52 seconds away.

That attack with 4 of his teammates on Ozalba was pretty funny. Reminded me of Monte Grappa this year.
what was that about ? Just a test or a statement 'i feel good' ?