• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ilnur Zakarin Discussion thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 11, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Good for him. Eventually he had to ride the Tour one day.

Some things:

- He said that he doesn't like the heat. Better prepare for it. Go to train to very hot places.
- Bike handling is a big issue at the Tour. Especially that first week when everyone is fighting for position.
- I don't see a big problem splitting the forces with Kittel. If anything will help him take the pressure off from him. Besides I don't thing he is the one to beat or the one for the win. So the team requirement should not be as big.

My 2 cents.

Don´t like the heat, but with bad wheather he has some problems in the descents.

I don´t know which is better race for him (Giro or Tour), but Zakarin hasn´t big skills apart from climbing, and in any case, he is not a difference maker in the mountains respect Froome, Landa, Aru, Quintana... and many others riders...

Good luck for him, but imo the podium of the last VE is the top of his career in a GTs.

Roku said:
I don't think so. A GT podium is within his reach and i could even see him winning a Giro with a weak field (which could easily be a 2019 Giro without Dumoulin and Quintana, i don't rate the likes of Chaves, Aru, Pinot, Landa above him)

If he keeps improving he isn't far away. Chaves, Aru, Pinot and Landa all have weaknesses but on their day they also have brilliance, more so than Zakarin. Zakarin just needs to be consistent over three weeks, no bad days. His TT is underrated but his descending can be pretty bad. He is a few seasons from his best I think. Contador has gone, Porte and Froome are getting older, Quintana is not improving, Valverde will soon be gone and Nibali. In two years the podiums will look much different with the younger riders taking over.

-Abu Dhabi
-Paris-Nice
-GP Miguel Indurain
-Euskal Herriko Itzulia
-FW
-LBL
-Dauphiné
-Tour

He says he's mainly going to LeTour to learn while aiming as high as possible in the GC. According to himself, he's not yet ready to fight for the win bit he wants to be able to win a GT in the next few years.

Good luck Zakarin!

Re:

Breh said:
-Abu Dhabi
-Paris-Nice
-GP Miguel Indurain
-Euskal Herriko Itzulia
-FW
-LBL
-Dauphiné
-Tour

He says he's mainly going to LeTour to learn while aiming as high as possible in the GC. According to himself, he's not yet ready to fight for the win bit he wants to be able to win a GT in the next few years.

Good luck Zakarin!
Nice schedule, Itzulia will be fun.

Re: Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
Leinster said:
portugal11 said:
i fear for him on the cobbles
Who’s in Kittel’s leadout train for this year? I’d say he’ll be well looked after.
I imagine guys like Martin, Haller and Hollenstein should be capable of looking after him.
It was just after I posted that I remembered Tony Martin was a) a Katusha rider now and b) pretty handy on cobbles these days.

TdF top5 would be nice. I have no clue how he'll handle the cobbles. The TTT should be fine. Descents will cause no problems because it's the July Group Ride. And I feel like the climbs should suit him.

But I'd like to see an actual win this year :p

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Very funny isn't it? All those vulnerable GC lightweights have decent cobble masters at their disposal so in the end nothing will happen. But at least a small glance of hope will glue us to the screen all day.

Re:

Pennino said:
Very funny isn't it? All those vulnerable GC lightweights have decent cobble masters at their disposal so in the end nothing will happen. But at least a small glance of hope will glue us to the screen all day.

QS might, Jungels should be albe to survive, same goes for Lotto-Soudal and Benoot if they want that white jersey, Nibali (if he wants to win) should try something aswell, given how great it went last time.

Re: Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
Pennino said:

QS might, Jungels should be albe to survive, same goes for Lotto-Soudal and Benoot if they want that white jersey, Nibali (if he wants to win) should try something aswell, given how great it went last time.
A lot will depend on the weather. 2014 was in a downpour, the bunch got shredded, Movistar et al lost buckets of time, Froome didn’t even make it to the cobbles, and Nibali skated over the tops of the cobbles like bike-Jesus, just behind a cyclocross world champ. 2015 was dry, so even Quintana and Froome were able to put in attacks along the way on some of the sectors before Tony Martin’s winning attack came after the final stones.

Would love to see him do well but fear for how much time he might lose in the first nine stages.

If he does (lose a big chunk of time) I hope he focuses on KOTM, which would be well within his reach, rather than trying for a meaningless 9th or 10th place.

TRENDING THREADS