• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ineos environmental credentials

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Almost nobody lives a completely environmentally friendly lifestyle in todays world, but using it as a way of discrediting the opinions of people who are critical of the actions of a giant petrochemical company - actions that without a shadow of a doubt cause large-scale environmental damage - is downright disingenious and hypocritical. In fact, it is straight out of the playbook of politicians and lobbyists.

I'm criticising the actions of the journalists (and some posters here) for bad faith. I'm questioning their motivation. I'm not questioning whether Ineos is an evil organisation or not.

If you can show me that the very same journalists (and forum posters) have a history of criticising INEOS before they took on Team Sky then I will accept your point.

If you cant, then we are left questioning the motives of the critics. Are they really concerned about environmental issues, or is it merely a vehicle to attack a team they dislike?

Let me give you an analogy in current British politics: the far right have suddenly developed a concern for womens' rights in the Muslim world. Why is this? Have they suddenly accepted feminism, or is it merely a vehicle to attack Muslims?

rick james said:
Who knew the guardian would try and take the moral high ground....liberal nut jobs

They are just reporting what happened.

Ineos are a controversial company whose environmental credentials are questionable In fact, Ineos is a bit of a dirty word . They have taken on Team Sky as a PR move. It is entirely right that people who object to Ineos's environmental destruction should protest at Ineos's PR efforts.

Of course, many might view Ineos and Team Sky as a marriage made in heaven.

Both organisations mired in dirt.

They have taken on the team as a PR move, plus the owner being a cycling fan with billions burning a whole in his pocket, that’s obvious. As are the issues regarding damage they are doing to the environmental, however, they are far from alone, even in this sport, and that’s without the whole issue regarding Bahrain/UAE which were picked up on here when they took over.

Sadly while the human race keeps demanding materials that are harmful to the planet, companies like Ineos, Gasprom, Total ect are going to thrive. I will be interested to see how they plan to reduce their damage and carbon footprint in years to come. Everyone has to do their bit, especially these massive organisations.

Re:

macbindle said:
rick james said:
Who knew the guardian would try and take the moral high ground....liberal nut jobs

They are just reporting what happened.

Ineos are a controversial company whose environmental credentials are questionable In fact, Ineos is a bit of a dirty word . They have taken on Team Sky as a PR move. It is entirely right that people who object to Ineos's environmental destruction should protest at Ineos's PR efforts.

Of course, many might view Ineos and Team Sky as a marriage made in heaven.

Both organisations mired in dirt.

From people that were there, it’s seems the guardian have added bells and whistles to the story to make the protest sound better than it was

Re:

macbindle said:
I'm criticising the actions of the journalists (and some posters here) for bad faith. I'm questioning their motivation. I'm not questioning whether Ineos is an evil organisation or not.

If you can show me that the very same journalists (and forum posters) have a history of criticising INEOS before they took on Team Sky then I will accept your point.

If you cant, then we are left questioning the motives of the critics. Are they really concerned about environmental issues, or is it merely a vehicle to attack a team they dislike?

Let me give you an analogy in current British politics: the far right have suddenly developed a concern for womens' rights in the Muslim world. Why is this? Have they suddenly accepted feminism, or is it merely a vehicle to attack Muslims?
But the OP was: "I agree with CF about the criticism of Ineos. There are other sponsors in cycling as well as other sports who deserve similar criticism. That doesn't let Ineos off the hook, it just hangs them with others."