• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Interesting piece on Livestrong

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
VeloCity said:
Regardless of his motivation for dropping the bomb, again, he's not exactly bowing down to the powers that be, whether that's Armstrong or Bruyneel or the UCI, is he? Which was kinda the point. I wish there were more like Landis who would come forward, whatever their personal motivation may be.

So you don't care what a person's motivation is, just so long as they incriminate the people you dislike? I think most people who have been following this agree that if Floyd would have been given a ride with Radioshaft, none of this would have ever happend. I will be impressed if, and when, something really happens in this case and Floyd receives a settlement from his wb case and he pays everyone back and gives the rest to charity. Like him or not, Armstrong's charity has done more good in the world than Floyd's revelations ever will. Armstong is probably a jerk, and a doper, but what is Floyd?. . four words quickly come to mind: opportunistic, calculating, insincere, hypocritical.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
miloman said:
[/B]

So you don't care what a person's motivation is, just so long as they incriminate the people you dislike? I think most people who have been following this agree that if Floyd would have been given a ride with Radioshaft, none of this would have ever happend. I will be impressed if, and when, something really happens in this case and Floyd receives a settlement from his wb case and he pays everyone back and gives the rest to charity. Like him or not, Armstrong's charity has done more good in the world than Floyd's revelations ever will. Armstong is probably a jerk, and a doper, but what is Floyd?. . four words quickly come to mind: opportunistic, calculating, insincere, hypocritical.

Ah, the appologists' favourite angle.

Unfortunately this is a forum about doping in cycling and how they both effect the other.

This is not a forum about the great money-sucking NGOs (or faux charities) of the world, and all the lovely things they have done for... whoever... I can see it doesn't really matter.

Charity work? Now, THAT's funny...

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Sorry, having a hard time following your logic.

Because Floyd is a jerk and Armstrong has convinced people to pay for the fuel for his jet then we should not question Lance?

I never said Floyd was a jerk -- he may be, I don't know. No, this is just a cautionary warning to not be so quick to judge Armstrong and his ilk, and even slower to canonize Floyd. “Me thinks” there is more dirt to come. By the way, Armstrong’s charity does a lot more than pay for jet fuel (I think that was your insinuation). His foundation provides considerable training, support and information to the cancer community. That statement was a gross disservice.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
I never said Floyd was a jerk -- he may be, I don't know. No, this is just a cautionary warning to not be so quick to judge Armstrong and his ilk, and even slower to canonize Floyd. “Me thinks” there is more dirt to come. By the way, Armstrong’s charity does a lot more than pay for jet fuel (I think that was your insinuation). His foundation provides considerable training, support and information to the cancer community. That statement was a gross disservice.

You are kidding....who is being quick? We have 15 years of information to make a well informed decision.

You are right, the foundation does not just pay for jet fuel they also sell Nike's.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
You are kidding....who is being quick? We have 15 years of information to make a well informed decision.

You are right, the foundation does not just pay for jet fuel they also sell Nike's.

You know, In the past I have found much of what you say interesting and sometimes enlightening. However, what you wrote here shows your bias and ignorance.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
How much has Floyd made so far from his admission? To the nearest $10million will be fine.

Your logic seems flawed as people (like you) say LA's cancer 'charity' does great work - without acknowledging that Armstrong has set up a for profit site with the same btrand name from which he will make millions. So thanks to Landis we get to see that LA is not only a doper but a fraud.

I would guess he has made just a little less than from his racing this year, but I suspect that next year or the year after . . . well it's anyone's guess.

Can you provide a link to this website?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
Need it for what? What does a cyclist from xyz team in 1999 have to do with anything regarding this case? Yes, we got it, cycling is dirty. And this is going to clean it up how? I would be willing to bet that only a few, if any will, see any sort of penalty from this inquiry. And please educate me as to what power the US Gov’t. has to clean up cycling? The same power they used to clean up Baseball?
If those who have doped are not pursued (as you wish) then how is that good for cycling?

Also as the Feds have a lot more power than the normal sanctioning authorities they can take down the suppliers and money people - which goes a long way to cleaning up the sport.

miloman said:
I would guess he has made just a little less than from his racing this year, but I suspect that next year or the year after . . . well it's anyone's guess.

Can you provide a link to this website?
So a little less than from his racing this year?? So about half of SFA.

livestrong.com - surprised you haven't heard of it.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
[/B]

You know, In the past I have found much of what you say interesting and sometimes enlightening. However, what you wrote here shows your bias and ignorance.

Your response shows your ignorance. Armstrong's focus is promoting his for profit website, livestrong.com. While some may like to pretend that this is not the case the traffic figures do not lie

graph

Armstrong's primary focus is promoting awareness of himself and his sponsors.

Race Radio said:
Your response shows your ignorance. Armstrong's focus is promoting his for profit website, livestrong.com. While some may like to pretend that this is not the case the traffic figures do not lie

graph

Check out those July blips in the .com. I have to assume many of those people thought it was a charitable purchase. What the hell caused the ~Oct 2010 blip I wonder?

EDIT: I just made my first trip to the site and a quick look shows nothing for sale on the livestrong.com site. Its all calorie information, fitness and calculators. I'm confused why it matters that the names are similar?!?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

graph

Lance dot.com is a Rock Star.
Lance dot.org is a support group.

Why would you expect/hope that the charts would show otherwise?
The charts seem both awesome and inspiring.

Interesting to note that Lance.com shot way up after the Floyd Bomb.
Some forum posters predicted a backlash upsurge way back when....

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
Check out those July blips in the .com. I have to assume many of those people thought it was a charitable purchase. What the hell caused the ~Oct 2010 blip I wonder?

EDIT: I just made my first trip to the site and a quick look shows nothing for sale on the livestrong.com site. Its all calorie information, fitness and calculators. I'm confused why it matters that the names are similar?!?
Because the .com is for profit.

Which in itself would be fine if all the extra revenue went to the charity (LAF).
However the arrangement LA and CSE did with Demand Media is that DM get the advertising revenue from this site - for this Demand gave them a stake in their company, LAF (50%), LA (42.5%) & CSE (7.5%).

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:

graph

This just tells everything anyone really needs to know.

Game, Set & Match.

Dr. Maserati said:
Because the .com is for profit.

Which in itself would be fine if all the extra revenue went to the charity (LAF).
However the arrangement LA and CSE did with Demand Media is that DM get the advertising revenue from this site - for this Demand gave them a stake in their company, LAF (50%), LA (42.5%) & CSE (7.5%).

Thanks doc, so the revenue comes to the .com when somebody clicks on an ad. If anybody is getting rich off that site there must be more fat housewives than I think because you don't need a tool to track what passes your lips. If you can get this message out we can shut that site down; measure a portion, eat it three times a day and exercise for an hour. There, now you can hurt Lance good if that secret gets out.

BroDeal said:
Strangely, the rise in the dot com's traffic has done nothing for the dot org. That is either the result of incompetence or the result of management that just does not care.

Clearly it's not a goal of the livestrong.com site to direct traffic to the .org site.

Simple scenario: You're in charge of the goals of both sites. IF your goal is to optimize for the cancer foundation (the entire direction of the brand) and maximize donations to that foundation, how would you handle the .com/.org URLs? What are the first 3 things might you do to optimize traffic and foundation donations? In decreasing order of effectiveness:

1. Not have a .com site and automatically redirect all livestrong.com links to livestrong.org
2. Do #1 and do whatever health/lifestyle stuff you're doing at the livestrong.com under a completely different name. Obviously it's completely off brand and confuses the message.
3. Prominently link to the .org site in both the navigation (all pages) and the home page, and explain that .org is the cancer foundation site. (they do link to the .org site in the nav but it's a second-level menu, not prominent)

If you were trying to generate ad revenue and were okay knowingly sucking the vast bulk of traffic from the .org site, and were okay that this clearly minimized donations and support, what would you do?

1. What they did.

End of story.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
If those who have doped are not pursued (as you wish) then how is that good for cycling?

Also as the Feds have a lot more power than the normal sanctioning authorities they can take down the suppliers and money people - which goes a long way to cleaning up the sport.

So a little less than from his racing this year?? So about half of SFA.

livestrong.com - surprised you haven't heard of it.

Call me Ishmael, but from what I see, you bare a frightening resemblance to Cpt. Ahab. I’m not sure if you are so genuinely concerned about catching dirty cyclists as much as catching one dirty cyclist, namely Lance Armstrong. From what I gather, The Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) morphed into Livestrong.org due the highly successful yellow wrist band. The Livestrong brand surpassed the LAF in global brand recognition so hence the change. So to sum it up: LIVESTRONG.ORG is the website of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization focused on supporting cancer survivors and fighting cancer. LIVESTRONG.COM is the health, fitness and lifestyle website that accepts advertising and sells products. Most people recognize the difference between a “.com,” “.org “or “.gov” website.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:

Really? Did you miss (ignore) the ads?

frs-lance-armstrong.jpg

20100318113339_4.jpg

683_large_CHDHH-001-01-683x426.jpg

If you are interested you can get yourself a media kit
http://mediakit.livestrong.com/

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Even though the LAF exists primarily as a way to buy jet-fuel and luxury hotel rooms tax-free.

To you fanboys out there, how does it feel to know that (from an accounting perspective) Lance has lower monthly expenses than you do?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
Call me Ishmael, but from what I see, you bare a frightening resemblance to Cpt. Ahab. I’m not sure if you are so genuinely concerned about catching dirty cyclists as much as catching one dirty cyclist, namely Lance Armstrong. From what I gather, The Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) morphed into Livestrong.org due the highly successful yellow wrist band. The Livestrong brand surpassed the LAF in global brand recognition so hence the change. So to sum it up: LIVESTRONG.ORG is the website of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization focused on supporting cancer survivors and fighting cancer. LIVESTRONG.COM is the health, fitness and lifestyle website that accepts advertising and sells products. Most people recognize the difference between a “.com,” “.org “or “.gov” website.

Well Miloman, perhaps if you visited threads on other riders like Valverde, Contador, Riis etc and see what I post there then you would know that I have little time for any doper - it does not mean I think they are evil or deserve scorn, just that those who are dopers should be punished appropriatley.

So - most people recognise a difference between .org & .com?? You appear to be ignoring the profile of the 2 sites that RR posted earlier.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
This has already been established captain obvious. Did you click on those ads?

What? You wrote

JRTinMA said:
I just made my first trip to the site and a quick look shows nothing for sale on the livestrong.com site.

I was showing that there are indeed targets ads all over the site

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Even though the LAF exists primarily as a way to buy jet-fuel and luxury hotel rooms tax-free.To you fanboys out there, how does it feel to know that (from an accounting perspective) Lance has lower monthly expenses than you do?

That's the best you can do, tax-free hotels and jet fuel? You think that's his driving force? Any good accountant can do better than that. 501 (c)(3)charities need to meet strict gov't. standards. Livestrong also is highly rated by consumer watch groups like http://www.charitynavigator.org. Where is your proof of jet fuel and hotels?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
That's the best you can do, tax-free hotels and jet fuel? You think that's his driving force? Any good accountant can do better than that. 501 (c)(3)charities need to meet strict gov't. standards. Livestrong also is highly rated by consumer watch groups like http://www.charitynavigator.org. Where is your proof of jet fuel and hotels?

You see how easy it is to make a mistake?

The name of LA's 'charity' is the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF).

As for Jet Fuel - check the traveling expenses between some different cancer charities.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
miloman said:

I'm sorry, but what else do I need? The guy wants to go spank Eva L's naughty tushie in Hollywood, he just hops on the jet, makes sure he stops by a kids hospital room on the way to the Mondrian, gets his rock off and he sends a nice tweet about how great if felt to make that kid's day. LiveStrong is his rich-guy taxshelter. Rich? Get yourself a charitable foundation and "fight cancer" all day long. You can even fight cancer while banging every wife in town.

Like a G6
Far+East+Movement+-+Like+A+G6+%28ft.+The+Cataracs+and+DEV%29+Lyrics.jpg

TRENDING THREADS