• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Brailsford tactically inept?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
argyllflyer said:
...who had done no GT training.

Winning a Tour doesn't count? When did little ritchie win his one again? I forgot what year it was. While you're at it which week long tour did he win this year? Or did he actually finish one?

M Sport said:
Picking that rider that has a shocking day in every GT he's ever rode in as your #2 when you had Wigems available?

What year do you think it is?

Froome, Porte, Nieve, Thomas. All better GC choices than Brad.

If Brad was at the Tour he would have been riding next to Danny Pate.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
kenk09 said:
What year do you think it is?

Froome, Porte, Nieve, Thomas. All better GC choices than Brad.

If Brad was at the Tour he would have been riding next to Danny Pate.

With all due respect, I don't get into arguments with posters who have 6 post to their name and started following cycling two months ago. Froome was an automatic selection, the others from my recollection don't have a win or a third placing amongst them in the Tour. They also didn't have a win in a week long race this year before they were told they would have no part in the Tour team.

May 9, 2011
Visit site
M Sport said:
With all due respect, I don't get into arguments with posters who have 6 post to their name and started following cycling two months ago.

LOL, so until you've joined the Cyclingnews forums you're not officially a follower of pro-cycling? That's good to know!

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
He did say that Wiggo would be riding next to Danny Pate

Which is obviously not true as clearly with all the rain he would have abandoned by now.

M Sport said:
With all due respect, I don't get into arguments with posters who have 6 post to their name and started following cycling two months ago. Froome was an automatic selection, the others from my recollection don't have a win or a third placing amongst them in the Tour. They also didn't have a win in a week long race this year before they were told they would have no part in the Tour team.

See it's arrogant comments like this that put people off joining this forum...

Since when does someones join date on this forum make them more or less knowledgeable about the sport?

thehog said:
When they don't have a Froome type just drilling it on the front they have absolutely zero tactical sense.

The French are showing up the Brits by a long way.

What tactical errors have been made in this race?

They've either crashed (Froome) or not been good enough in the mountains (Porte). I don't see a tactical error.

M Sport said:
Picking that rider that has a shocking day in every GT he's ever rode in as your #2 when you had Wigems available?

Oh dear.

You see this is the problem. Utter delusion about Wiggins' current capability to do well in a grand tour. All because he beat some kids in a no mark one week race in the US of A. Jesus Christ.

Can you remind me how Wiggins performed in races like Tirreno Adriatico and Tour de Suisse this year? You know, races that actually mean something.

JRanton said:
Oh dear.

You see this is the problem. Utter delusion about Wiggins' current capability to do well in a grand tour. All because he beat some kids in a no mark one week race in the US of A. Jesus Christ.

Can you remind me how Wiggins performed in races like Tirreno Adriatico and Tour de Suisse this year? You know, races that actually mean something.

Didn't that Wiggins guy win the Tour once? :rolleyes:

His 2012 season was probably on par if not better than Froome's 2013.

whittashau said:
He did say that Wiggo would be riding next to Danny Pate

Which is obviously not true as clearly with all the rain he would have abandoned by now.

That's actually perfectly possible given the weight that Wiggins put on after California and considering his 'form' in Tour de Suisse.

But you're right, he wouldn't have made it out of the first week anyway.

thehog said:
When they don't have a Froome type just drilling it on the front they have absolutely zero tactical sense.

The French are showing up the Brits by a long way.

You are hard work at times Hog. A Kenyan and a Welshman doesn't = a British team. Say Sky when you mean it without the cheap shots.

yespatterns said:
J ranton is obviously an expert and knows all. We should abide his decisions and get back to shining Bradford and Froomes shoes. Or not.

Just saying it like it is. A tactical error didn't lead to Froome crashing or to Porte suffering in the mountains. And I don't see how not selecting a rider (Wiggins) who would add nothing positive to the team is a bad tactical error either.

Thomas and Nieve infiltrated a 17-man move that sprung clear after just 16km and proved instrumental in driving it forwards on the most mountainous stage of the race.

Thomas worked hard to ensure the move was over five minutes ahead as they topped the first of two massive climbs, and Nieve crested the Tour’s highest pass in third position before the escapees dropped back down to tackle one last drag to the finish.

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,30906_9387745,00.html#iRytZtGZ6IrvvwbO.99

Talk about talking it up!

Inept.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I guess the science and mathematic calculation by Brailsford didn't prepare him to have Richie drop like a stone on the first mountain. To be quiet honest, i didn't think Richie was even a contender judging by how his season and the last dauphine performance. If he was in the form as 2013, then he'll be trade acceleration back and forth with Nibali by now. Not sure bringing wiggins will do any difference. Unless if wiggo gaining more than 3 minutes on the cobble stage, then he might be up there.

I just feel sorry for Richie. He wanted to be a leader on GT race. Then he got his chance on the Giro, he didn't even get a chance to participate. Then Froome suddenly crash, so the spot for being a leader at TDF suddenly just handed off to him. For the years to come, Froome will be the leader for TDF, and Richie is just going to be the second fiddle for Froome. But when the opportunity opens up, it was just too bad he didn't have the leg. It's so close and yet it's so far. Next year Nibali will be in the Giro. Are we going to have Nibali vs Porte at 2015 Giro?

Jelantik said:
I guess the science and mathematic calculation by Brailsford didn't prepare him to have Richie drop like a stone on the first mountain. To be quiet honest, i didn't think Richie was even a contender judging by how his season and the last dauphine performance. If he was in the form as 2013, then he'll be trade acceleration back and forth with Nibali by now. Not sure bringing wiggins will do any difference. Unless if wiggo gaining more than 3 minutes on the cobble stage, then he might be up there.

I just feel sorry for Richie. He wanted to be a leader on GT race. Then he got his chance on the Giro, he didn't even get a chance to participate. Then Froome suddenly crash, so the spot for being a leader at TDF suddenly just handed off to him. For the years to come, Froome will be the leader for TDF, and Richie is just going to be the second fiddle for Froome. But when the opportunity opens up, it was just too bad he didn't have the leg. It's so close and yet it's so far. Next year Nibali will be in the Giro. Are we going to have Nibali vs Porte at 2015 Giro?

Nibali will want to defend the Tour against Contador. Froome I think will be nowhere next year. He's broken mentally.

Porte is really more a one day rider. They just get way too Tour obsessed at Sky and forget other races.

Probably are another clear out by years end. Get Yates back. Get some people in the team who actually know about racing tactics.

thehog said:
Nibali will want to defend the Tour against Contador. Froome I think will be nowhere next year. He's broken mentally.

Porte is really more a one day rider. They just get way too Tour obsessed at Sky and forget other races.

Probably are another clear out by years end. Get Yates back. Get some people in the team who actually know about racing tactics.

Brian Smith?

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:

How is Froome mentally broken? He got injured then Contador gets injured and the first thing he says is see you in the vuelta for the rematch. As much as I dislike Froome as a person, he doesn't seem broken to me.

Regarding earlier comments, I mostly agree with JRanton, Wiggins wouldn't have been competing for the win if they had brought him. He hadn't put in the training for it. If he had known he was going to be leader it might have been a different story but how could he know Froome would get injured?

Whilst Sky aren't the best tactically, I can't think of many tactical errors so far in the tour. Richie just doesn't have the legs this year.

TRENDING THREADS