• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Contador THAT hated in U.S

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
hammt34 said:
Upon waking up this morning,I did my usual routine of checking race results and was suprised that Cadel won Fleche. But even more of a suprise was that A.C placed third. At this point I checked Twitter feed on the race and Wow the response from Americans was pure Joy that cadel outsprinted A.C in the last hundred yards,and how AC wasnt worth a damn. So my question is,Did LA JB and Versus do THAT good of a job Demonizing this Polite Young man, who it seems to me honors The true spirit of cycling by contesting every race he is in, EVEN if it doesnt suit his strengths.Meanwhile If Lance wins or even Podiums in A Semi-pro race Like Gila Everone will blow their load on how great he is What gives Man!:confused:
Believe me, Americans are not the only ones who love it when Contador lose and Armstrong win. On a Norwegian forum, everybody got extremely hyped over Armstrong making top-30 in Ronde van Vlaanderen and pointed him out as a favourite for the Tour, and when Contador finished third in Fleche, there were the following comments:

"Haha! You got ****-owned Contador! Evans is toying with you!"

"Beautiful to see Contador getting shattered! Brilliant by Evans, better physical and tactical. Easy!"

"Nice to see Evans toy with Contador on a short and steep climb!"

"I expected nothing of Contador before he and Anton got a gap. Then I was afraid Conta would pick the win. Just fun to see him getting beaten when he really tries to win."

"Contador looking behind just to see Evans fly past him... Priceless."

I guess Armstrong got the media-advantage. When he speak, the whole world is listening to his lies. When Contador speaks, only the specially interested listen.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Yeah, I never buy the ti spindles. Plus the cost to weight savings ratio is through the roof.

It's not like it's my cycling equipment holding me back anyway. :eek:

I've been using the Speedplay ti spindle pedals for the last 3 years with no issues.

However I weigh 140 pounds so keep that in mind.

PS if you race crits go Speedplay - they have boatloads of cornering clearance and you can pedal right through corners while guys behind you are smashing pedals into the pavement.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I think Contador is the best stage racer in the world right now and I appreciate him for that bit of incredible athletic ability. I don't know him, he's not a friend of mine, so I can't say if I like or dislike him or not. I could care less if he is the biggest *** on the earth or the Dali Lama, it doesn't enter into my opinion of him as a bike racer.

it was cool to see Evans win just because it was good racing. A great well times move by someone who had the legs to pull it off. Good stuff!

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:
I think Contador is the best stage racer in the world right now and I appreciate him for that bit of incredible athletic ability. I don't know him, he's not a friend of mine, so I can't say if I like or dislike him or not. I could care less if he is the biggest *** on the earth or the Dali Lama, it doesn't enter into my opinion of him as a bike racer.

it was cool to see Evans win just because it was good racing. A great well times move by someone who had the legs to pull it off. Good stuff!

Dali Lama? ;)

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
It's a western phenomenon, Britain is on the verge of electing a 3rd party with policies the mainstream would hate on the basis of little more than a Pop-idol episode.

wow, talk about off topic. And the ball was started rolling by the mod. :rolleyes: Instead of trying to prevent the forum from becoming a cesspool, he is leading the charge into the crud! Way to go, CN.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
Dali Lama? ;)

His Holiness, AvolokitseshvaraTendzen Gyamtso, the 14th Dalai Lama to be precise.

Cadel might be a helluva nice guy, but I'll guess he's no Dalai Lama.

OTOH, you never know. Things are often not as they appear...... ;)

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
d.c. douglas said:
wow, talk about off topic. And the ball was started rolling by the mod. :rolleyes: Instead of trying to prevent the forum from becoming a cesspool, he is leading the charge into the crud! Way to go, CN.

welcome to the forum, great post you've vastly increased my knowledge of cycling just by me reading that post(just in case you're a little slow I'm being sarcastic)

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
MrContador said:
I guess Armstrong got the media-advantage. When he speak, the whole world is listening to his lies. When Contador speaks, only the specially interested listen.
I think some of the problem lies with the belief many Lance-a-lots have that Armstrong is an all-around great guy, a full time kicker-of-cancer's-*** who just loves to ride his bike. So when Contador says he'll never admire Armstrong as a person they really have no idea what he's talking about.

At least that's how I think it is with many of LA's less fanatical fans.

kurtinsc said:
I respect Contador's ability and marvel at how he rides... but frankly I'd like him more if he were a bit more of a showoff.

I don't know why... it doesn't match what I look for in people I want to associate with personally... but I've always enjoyed watching riders who show off a bit. I liked watching Ricco pre-drugs... he'd almost seem to taunt people when attacking. I did like "the look" from Lance... saying without words "I'm going to beat you... right NOW!". I like a lot of what I've seen about Hinault (didn't watch him in person). And I like Cav's arrogance as well.

To be honest, if Contador went to the first climb of the tour... pedaled up next to Lance and said out loud "Let's go Fatso", then took off up the road... I'd join his fan club in a heartbeat.

I don´t understand that. I personally can´t stand show offs, braggarts, arrogance ect. I never warmed to LA, basically disliked the man because of his attitude, though I respected him as a cyclist until I was later convinced of his doping.

It´s difficult for me to understand why some people prefer the loudmouth self promoter/rival basher to the classy respectful of athlete. It´s definitely a north American thing (my native land).

The only bigmouth I ever liked was Ali and I loved him. The thing with Ali was you knew it was a game, not bile and he did it with humor and style. I think with have a number of very classy cyclist racing right now: Cadel, Contador, the Schleck Bros, Nibali, Cancellara, Sastre.......and many more. They respect each other and treat each other accordingly. It´s quite a refreshing change from the oppressive USPostal dictatorship years. As the top gun, Contador is a great leader who seems to get along with even his closest rivals.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
horizon27 said:
Both LA and AC are great bike racers,I always think LA talks better than he rides his bike.What I mean is Lance Armstrong is a bit of a boring cyclist.Alberto Contador seems a boring person but a exciting cyclist.

LA talks big but I don't think he is an inspires me by the way he rides his bike.His team destroy themselves for his benefit,yes he is a brilliant racer would he have won in 89 and 92 like Lemond with weak teams?

Contador is better to watch,much more natural talent.He also attacks more,and when he does its really exciting.I think AC is a fiery person and really only shows it when he rides his bike.

I just get the impression that LA is making his come back for money.Your a long time retired,how else can he make millions?Its coming to that time when Lance Armstrong will have to race against AC in the tour.

Its just around the corner now,if LA does not do well I wonder what the folks in the US will think.The American public don't like people who make bold statments and fail completly.That could easily happen,Evans Sastra Contador Schleck and even Wiggins will be tough to beat.

If LA comes 6th or worse he will never play that down,given his 3th place last year and the fact he has a new team.He has a very strong team and AC has a much weaker team.The 2010 TdF will be a very interesting race indeed

He is in it for the money and his ego. That is why I call him A-ho. No matter what my friends(formaly known by me as haters) it will be a way more interesting Tour with Lance and Shack aboard. No matter what Greg, David W. and my friends (formaly known by me to be haters) say it will be interesting to see Lord Armstrong turn himself inside out to challange Alberto.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
I don´t understand that. I personally can´t stand show offs, braggarts, arrogance ect. I never warmed to LA, basically disliked the man because of his attitude, though I respected him as a cyclist until I was later convinced of his doping.

It´s difficult for me to understand why some people prefer the loudmouth self promoter/rival basher to the classy respectful of athlete. It´s definitely a north American thing (my native land).

The only bigmouth I ever liked was Ali and I loved him. The thing with Ali was you knew it was a game, not bile and he did it with humor and style. I think with have a number of very classy cyclist racing right now: Cadel, Contador, the Schleck Bros, Nibali, Cancellara, Sastre.......and many more. They respect each other and treat each other accordingly. It´s quite a refreshing change from the oppressive USPostal dictatorship years. As the top gun, Contador is a great leader who seems to get along with even his closest rivals.

It's a matter of showmanship.

When it comes down to it, sports is entertainment. And while excellence is entertaining to a certain degree... when someone is over the top it's even more so.

Charles Barkley, Mohammed Ali, Terrell Owens... these guys entertain with their personalities and antics as well as their on the field performance. Yes... guys like Art Monk and Tim Duncan are excellent and they are very "classy"... but they also are boring to a degree. Jan Ullrich always struck me that way in cycling.

I like the cocky guy who backs it up with great performance... like Lance Armstrong in his prime, Michael Jordan or Randy Moss when he is on.

I like the loud guy with talent who makes statements that are always quoteable and still perform well... like Brad Wiggins, Charles Barkley or Terrell Owens when he was in his prime.

I respect but sometimes get bored by guys who always do a great job but are very "classy" and professional... like Contador, Tim Duncan or Steve Largeant.

I get annoyed with guys that keep talking but no longer have the ability to back it up... like Lance now, Terrell Owens now, or Scotty Pippin without Michael Jordan playing next to him.

Sports is entertainment. Boring competitors aren't as entertaining.

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
franciep10 said:
welcome to the forum, great post you've vastly increased my knowledge of cycling just by me reading that post(just in case you're a little slow I'm being sarcastic)

Speaking of being slow....there was a point to the post, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it to occur to you.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

When it comes down to it, sports is entertainment. And while excellence is entertaining to a certain degree... when someone is over the top it's even more so.

Charles Barkley, Mohammed Ali, Terrell Owens... these guys entertain with their personalities and antics as well as their on the field performance. Yes... guys like Art Monk and Tim Duncan are excellent and they are very "classy"... but they also are boring to a degree. Jan Ullrich always struck me that way in cycling.

I like the cocky guy who backs it up with great performance... like Lance Armstrong in his prime, Michael Jordan or Randy Moss when he is on.

I like the loud guy with talent who makes statements that are always quoteable and still perform well... like Brad Wiggins, Charles Barkley or Terrell Owens when he was in his prime.

I respect but sometimes get bored by guys who always do a great job but are very "classy" and professional... like Contador, Tim Duncan or Steve Largeant.

I get annoyed with guys that keep talking but no longer have the ability to back it up... like Lance now, Terrell Owens now, or Scotty Pippin without Michael Jordan playing next to him.

Sports is entertainment. Boring competitors aren't as entertaining.

TO has no superbowl rings zero. Thus not a champion. Lance has 7 TdF and a rainbow. No comparison.....ever

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

IMO, smack talk only makes it more entertaining if one loses sight of the fact that the people on the receiving end of the obnoxious behavior are actually people not celebrity automatons. Are you sure the entertainment value is the primary reason you like this behavior?

I speculate one of the reasons people are attracted to successful braggarts is because they want to believe that some human beings are invincible in some way. The bragging is seen as evidence that the bragger believes in their own invincibility, which helps the spectator to believe what they want to believe.

Apologies for the faux psycho-babble; I'm not saying that any of the above describes you. Just asking whether you think this idea might have some relevance, and trying to understand an attitude that is quite prevalent, but totally at odds with my own.

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Rocksteady said:
I'm relatively new to cycling so please correct me if I'm wrong but my impression was that Lance was the most tested cyclist... Ever. Tested way more than the normal elite cyclist. Since I've not heard anything about Contador being tested to an insane amount, I assumed (that word will kill me someday:)) that he was tested at a normal amount for an elite cyclist. So my point is that since there has been no major controversy about a clean AC, he is tested less.

Cyclists, as a whole, are among the most tested athletes. U.S. major league baseball players would go ape if they had to submit to 1/4 of the tests!

Lance certainly was heavily tested. However, so have many other cyclists. He stands out only because of the attention he garners and the fact that he preaches about it all the time.

When I started to really get interested in cycling, I read enough articles and posts to realize that sprinters are probably tested as much or more given the sheer amount of competitions they are in. Yes, they test out of competition a lot now, too, but I would still say Lance does not stand out over anyone else with testing done.

He really bellyached about it coming back last year and tried to make it seem like he was being singled out. The only people who buy that are the U.S. fans who only follow him anyway. Most everyone else turned a deaf ear to it.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
IMO, smack talk only makes it more entertaining if one loses sight of the fact that the people on the receiving end of the obnoxious behavior are actually people not celebrity automatons. .

+1

For me the actual sport is entertainment enough. And I take no pleasure from watching people ridicule or diminish others, or talk themselves up ad nauseum.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
IMO, smack talk only makes it more entertaining if one loses sight of the fact that the people on the receiving end of the obnoxious behavior are actually people not celebrity automatons. Are you sure the entertainment value is the primary reason you like this behavior?

I speculate one of the reasons people are attracted to successful braggarts is because they want to believe that some human beings are invincible in some way. The bragging is seen as evidence that the bragger believes in their own invincibility, which helps the spectator to believe what they want to believe.

Apologies for the faux psycho-babble; I'm not saying that any of the above describes you. Just asking whether you think this idea might have some relevance, and trying to understand an attitude that is quite prevalent, but totally at odds with my own.

Yes, I'm relatively sure it is the entertainment value.

As I said before... it's not JUST the guys who talk trash and back it up (though they are fun). There's also the legitimately goofy guys who make odd statements and just keep things interesting... which is where I'd put Wiggins. He really hasn't won much... but I'd rather listen to him or Dave Zabriskie give an interview then someone like George Hincapie. Those guys are entertaining characters in cycling. Cippolini fits that too. Charles Barkley would be a basketball example of that.

Mitch Richmond was probably a better basketball player then Charles Barkley. Tim Duncan DEFINITELY is. But Sir Charles will always have more fans.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Mitch Richmond was probably a better basketball player then Charles Barkley. Tim Duncan DEFINITELY is. But Sir Charles will always have more fans.

I'm a Sacramento fan and choked when I read that. Watch the Suns Bulls finals series from 94 again please. Barkley is in the top 5 power forwards of all time. Richmond would be lucky to break the top 20 shooting guards.

As for your earlier Pippen without Jordan comment. When Jordan retired the first time Pippen took the Bulls to the East Conference finals as the team leader.

IMO stick to cycling, because your basketball statements are seriously off.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
As I said before... it's not JUST the guys who talk trash and back it up (though they are fun). There's also the legitimately goofy guys who make odd statements and just keep things interesting... which is where I'd put Wiggins.

Fair enough, I also like the more colorful characters eg Cav.