• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Contador THAT hated in U.S

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Runitout said:
Contador is anything but boring on the bike. I'm not a fan of his, but when he's in form and attacking it is a sight to behold. I was cheering for Evans in the 2007 Tour, but had to admit that the better man won.

I'd much rather an attacking rider like Contador wins over a defensive rider like Leipheimer. After what was a very defensive Giro win, Contador came good again for the subsequent 2008 races, and he's been an attacking rider ever since. It's great sport.

Races like E3 this year are what make us cycling fans. Hard men turning themselves inside out to win. Pozzatto showed he can be more than a mouthy wheelsucker on that ride; Boonen killed himself to keep the gap, and Cancellara dropped his companions with a deft move at the death.

I couldn't give a rat's ar$e how boring they are to interview, if they give us entertainment like that on the road.

Given the coverage in the US, I don't think everyone is watching every move Contador makes nor do actions on the field override blind hate.

hfer07 said:
but does AC has to "please" the English-Speakers at all? since when it became a requirement? as someone mentioned- he's been misquoted many times by American media, & now they have the nerve to ask him to speak the language? yes- English reaches wider audience around the world, but I think AC isn't quite interested in "calling the world's attention" or become a "media wh0re" like certain Texan.

Talent & skills are "universal values" regardless any language barrier-even more when the person is "humble" and at least is trying work on it.....

The question is why is Contador not liked in the US, not speaking English is a major reason.

Ferminal said:
The question is why is Contador not liked in the US, not speaking English is a major reason.

Your quote:
Cycling presents so many different personalities. Contador's appeal to English speakers, particularly American's probably isn't that great, given he's never appearing on TV, doing interviews in English and talking to "them". Nadal on the other hand was doing English interviews within a year of his breakout season.

I think Contador is humble, or even shy... boring, maybe.

The problem is, nothing is going to happen whilst Armstrong is still around, and competing directly against him for the adoration of Americans. Armstrong's story is the ultimate sporting fairytale, so it's virtually impossible for a quiet Spaniard who doesn't speak much English to encroach on him.

but you were the one who brought the "language issue".......;)

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
why is Contador not liked in the US?

Because many if not most American cycling fan watch/read versus to get their cycling info, and versus has been following the LA/radioshack PR line to belittle Contador. And if the fans were interested in getting a bit more info, then they would go to cyclingnews and velonews which have also posted a lot of the Armstrong PR stuff.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
There is possibly an interesting comparison though...

Remember early in Armstrong's reign when the French press used to be negative with him and write comments about his arrogance because he apparently couldn't be bothered to even try to speak any French at the tour?

My only question then would be - why would an American expect that a Spaniard should make an effort to speak English when interviewed at a race in France, Belgium, Spain, or the Netherlands?

In most other sports, althletes are generally expected to do an interview in their own language and then perhaps attempt to speak a local one (or vice versa)

Ferminal said:
Given the coverage in the US, I don't think everyone is watching every move Contador makes nor do actions on the field override blind hate.

Everyone? I doubt if more than 2 percent of the American public knows or cares who Contador is. Hatred for Armstrong is real around here. US hatred for Contador is just another comical journey into fantasy land around here.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
There is possibly an interesting comparison though...

Remember early in Armstrong's reign when the French press used to be negative with him and write comments about his arrogance because he apparently couldn't be bothered to even try to speak any French at the tour?

My only question then would be - why would an American expect that a Spaniard should make an effort to speak English when interviewed at a race in France, Belgium, Spain, or the Netherlands?

In most other sports, althletes are generally expected to do an interview in their own language and then perhaps attempt to speak a local one (or vice versa)

wait i have a better one , why would an american expect a french man to speak english in france............:eek:

hawkeye87 said:
I do not think he really started to do it until 2008 or thereabouts. I do not recall the pistol shooting in the 2007 TdF that he won.

He had the spread eagle leg thing or the "look at my package" celebration stance in P-N in 2007 and stage wins in the 2007 TdF.

The first time he did (that I saw) was in TDF 07 in plateu, and the reason he did it was a salute/gesture to his girlfriend Macarena, the gesture stuck and now is part of his celebration, I specially like the colors that simbolized the many jerseys he has worned (including the white one he won in 07)

hfer07 said:
Your quote:
Cycling presents so many different personalities. Contador's appeal to English speakers, particularly American's probably isn't that great, given he's never appearing on TV, doing interviews in English and talking to "them". Nadal on the other hand was doing English interviews within a year of his breakout season.

I think Contador is humble, or even shy... boring, maybe.

The problem is, nothing is going to happen whilst Armstrong is still around, and competing directly against him for the adoration of Americans. Armstrong's story is the ultimate sporting fairytale, so it's virtually impossible for a quiet Spaniard who doesn't speak much English to encroach on him.

but you were the one who brought the "language issue".......;)
I still don't see the point you're making?

If the Contador is going to appeal to at least some of the Lance Armstrong faithful (i.e most cycling fans in the US) he's going to need to appear on television in press conferences and interviews, preferably speaking English.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
gatete said:
The first time he did (that I saw) was in TDF 07 in plateu, and the reason he did it was a salute/gesture to his girlfriend Macarena, the gesture stuck and now is part of his celebration, I specially like the colors that simbolized the many jerseys he has worned (including the white one he won in 07)

Good answer. And a respectable reason behind the salute. (It still makes him look like Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore.)

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
it sounds like you don't even really like cycling, or any sport for that matter. you are only interested in a-hole type personalities. pro wrestling is probably more your thing.

i couldn't give a crap whether a cyclist is "interesting" or not. someone like savoldelli was always criticized for being a bland character, regardless of his skills on a bike. whatever. if you can't be a fan of someone like jerry rice, who never displayed anything short of pure class, on and off the field, well...then it's obvious you are not a football fan, but rather a drama queen.

if you don't like cycling or admire the great athletic accomplishments and beauty of the sport, why even follow it? you can stay home and watch daytime tv and indulge yourself in all of the "interesting" people you want.

i don't care too much about the personality. i just like to watch great bike racers racing bicycles in great races. it's what happens ON the bike that matters.

If people didn't give a crap about a cyclist's personality, there wouldn't be so many comments about what a jerk Cav or Lance is or what ridiculous statements Wiggins makes.

I enjoy watching racing. But you confuse enjoyment of the event and cheering for a particular rider. Most people DON'T cheer for the best rider... few like the same guy winning every race over and over... they like upsets.

I like watching Contador ride. But I don't cheer for him to win... I'd rather someone more interesting take a victory. I was happy a rider slightly unbalanced like Evans won Fleche over someone I don't find interesting in Contador.

You keep trying to draw some sort of conclusion based on psychology... but I don't think you're quite getting it. There is a difference between enjoying an athletic event and cheering for a person or team. One is based on the excellence shown on the field... the other is based much more on the personalities of those taking part. I watch NCAA basketball tournament games knowing NOTHING about the players... just because I like watching basketball. But I'm not hoping one team wins or being a fan of a team... I just like to watch basketball.

I like watching cycling events such as the tour de france. Contador adds something to make the race more interesting... so I'm glad he's there.

But I'm not cheering for him to win... I'm going to choose someone with a bit more personality to be a fan of.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Runitout said:
Contador is anything but boring on the bike. I'm not a fan of his, but when he's in form and attacking it is a sight to behold. I was cheering for Evans in the 2007 Tour, but had to admit that the better man won.

I'd much rather an attacking rider like Contador wins over a defensive rider like Leipheimer. After what was a very defensive Giro win, Contador came good again for the subsequent 2008 races, and he's been an attacking rider ever since. It's great sport.

Races like E3 this year are what make us cycling fans. Hard men turning themselves inside out to win. Pozzatto showed he can be more than a mouthy wheelsucker on that ride; Boonen killed himself to keep the gap, and Cancellara dropped his companions with a deft move at the death.

I couldn't give a rat's ar$e how boring they are to interview, if they give us entertainment like that on the road.

Leipheimer is boring too. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of overt personality coming from him either.

hfer07 said:
but does AC has to "please" the English-Speakers at all? since when it became a requirement? as someone mentioned- he's been misquoted many times by American media, & now they have the nerve to ask him to speak the language? yes- English reaches wider audience around the world, but I think AC isn't quite interested in "calling the world's attention" or become a "media wh0re" like certain Texan.

Talent & skills are "universal values" regardless any language barrier-even more when the person is "humble" and at least is trying work on it.....

Agreed. I would say AC most certainly does not have to nor is it even a remote priority for him to please US fans. Those who choose to discount him as a cyclist, do so because he beat LA or followed and still follow the LA-JB hype and are not true cycling fans, but LA fans.

I am a big AC fan ever since he won the 08 Vuelta. That was killer. On the bike he is amazing. I may not be crazy about his pistola salut, but it doesn´t bother me. He is pure class on and off the bike, doing all his talking with his heart and legs. The fact that he came in third at Flech shows how big a heart he has......and losing to the WC in a race completely unsuited to his true talents only increases my admiration for him.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
Agreed. I would say AC most certainly does not have to nor is it even a remote priority for him to please US fans. Those who choose to discount him as a cyclist, do so because he beat LA or followed and still follow the LA-JB hype and are not true cycling fans, but LA fans.

I am a big AC fan ever since he won the 08 Vuelta. That was killer. On the bike he is amazing. I may not be crazy about his pistola salut, but it doesn´t bother me. He is pure class on and off the bike, doing all his talking with his heart and legs. The fact that he came in third at Flech shows how big a heart he has......and losing to the WC in a race completely unsuited to his true talents only increases my admiration for him.

:eek: Are you high?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
SpeedWay said:
Everyone? I doubt if more than 2 percent of the American public knows or cares who Contador is. Hatred for Armstrong is real around here. US hatred for Contador is just another comical journey into fantasy land around here.

Writes the doorman at fantasy land.....

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
He is invisible only because 99% of "Lance fans" know more about corn flakes than they do about cycling. Useless lot most of 'em.

SpeedWay said:

Prime example.

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't imagine whyanyone would actually hate Contador--he's inoffensive, not known to be a doper and is obviously a great cyclist. I can see not being a big fan for one reason or another but no hate. That said, I'd love to see Armstrong beat him in the Tour but only if he can do it by guile, trickery, psychology and superior road smarts. I don't want Contador to crash or to have a bad day or not eat properly etc. etc. The one thing I don't really understand is people who compare Contador to Indurain. This makes no sense to me. Indurain won on his time trialing ability and because he could at least hang on in the mountains an not lose too much time. Contador is a climber who dominates in the mountains and who has developed a very respectable time trialing ability seemingly through sheer hard work. So in that respect they are somewhat opposite. Really Contador should eclipse Indurain because his time trialing just gets better and better whil his climbing is already at the highest level. Indurain could never have become a great climber.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
Apparently you didn't tell him/her that Evans actually won?
Great input btw.

Actually I did tell him Cuddles won the Fleche. But for my friend riding his Trek its about that Contador guy.....Grrrr......Beat Lance.....Grrrrr

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Maybe this guy would have been more popular if he talked more smack:

http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2007/12/16/raymond-poulidor-a-working-class-hero.html

Somehow I doubt it.

We're talking the US here.

At the time Poulidor rode, I'm not sure more then 1% of people in the US even knew what the Tour de France was. If it was more widespread, I'm betting they wouldn't have been huge Poulidor fans.

If I were to guess, my bet would be that US support would have gone to Federico Bahamontes. Stopping at the top of a TDF climb and eating an ice cream while waiting for a break to catch up because you don't want to descend alone? Throwing your bike into a ravine when you drop out of the tour? That's a personality that would draw fans in the US.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Muerdago11 said:
I can't imagine whyanyone would actually hate Contador--he's inoffensive, not known to be a doper and is obviously a great cyclist. I can see not being a big fan for one reason or another but no hate. That said, I'd love to see Armstrong beat him in the Tour but only if he can do it by guile, trickery, psychology and superior road smarts. I don't want Contador to crash or to have a bad day or not eat properly etc. etc. The one thing I don't really understand is people who compare Contador to Indurain. This makes no sense to me. Indurain won on his time trialing ability and because he could at least hang on in the mountains an not lose too much time. Contador is a climber who dominates in the mountains and who has developed a very respectable time trialing ability seemingly through sheer hard work. So in that respect they are somewhat opposite. Really Contador should eclipse Indurain because his time trialing just gets better and better whil his climbing is already at the highest level. Indurain could never have become a great climber.

I don't think the comparison is about riding style while Indurain was a great champion he was very quiet and also very humble and a family man so while their riding styles are different their personalities are similar

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Muerdago11 said:
I can't imagine whyanyone would actually hate Contador--he's inoffensive, not known to be a doper and is obviously a great cyclist. I can see not being a big fan for one reason or another but no hate.

Yeah, he seems like a nice guy. There is no reason to hate any cyclist unless you have some personal involvment with them and they have crossed you.

Contador should eclipse Indurain because his time trialing just gets better and better whil his climbing is already at the highest level..

As long as he doesn't try to do The Look on Evans again, his climbing should continue to be the best.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
We're talking the US here.

At the time Poulidor rode, I'm not sure more then 1% of people in the US even knew what the Tour de France was. If it was more widespread, I'm betting they wouldn't have been huge Poulidor fans.

If I were to guess, my bet would be that US support would have gone to Federico Bahamontes. Stopping at the top of a TDF climb and eating an ice cream while waiting for a break to catch up because you don't want to descend alone? Throwing your bike into a ravine when you drop out of the tour? That's a personality that would draw fans in the US.

And that's largely because US sports broadcast was in the Roone Arledge/ABC Wide World of Sports model. Remember the intro trailer that shows the ski jumper crashing off the end of the jump? For Americans viewing a new sport that was the emphasis. I think it's changing for the better and the X Games, Universal Sports, etc will open eyes. But honestly, what cycling fan in any country would turn off the set if you could see a series of crashes like Abdujoparov's at the Tour finish? Everyone likes the train wreck and rally crashes.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
gatete said:

Not sure about that "girlfriend salute".
Why would he be shooting a gun at his girlfriend??

On one of the Alberto FanSites, he did answer the question on how the
salute began.....do not have the link sorry...

Alberto said it was a hunting thing - that he likes to hunt. Not Big Game animals, mind you, but the little bunnys and ground squirrels that live in the woods near his home.
He likes to blow their freaking furry heads off yikes.

Ironically, later in the interview, he is asked what he would have done if did not become a Pro Cyclist. He answered "Veterinarian".

hug1.jpg

hug2.jpg

hug3.jpg

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Not sure about that "girlfriend salute".
Why would he be shooting a gun at his girlfriend??

On one of the Alberto FanSites, he did answer the question on how the
salute began.....do not have the link sorry...

Alberto said it was a hunting thing - that he likes to hunt. Not Big Game animals, mind you, but the little bunnys and ground squirrels that live in the woods near his home.
He likes to blow their freaking furry heads off yikes.

Ironically, later in the interview, he is asked what he would have done if did not become a Pro Cyclist. He answered "Veterinarian".

hug2.jpg

In this photo he does the spread eagle (as previously discussed) but does the pistol salute later on the podium as Gatete explained.

I've googled this quite a bit in both english and in spanish and I can't find a solid answer. I'm really shocked that some of the Alberto fan's don't know the answer? (and apparently don't care) It would be cool if you had the interview.

Usually it is pretty easy to find the story behind someone's nickname.

TRENDING THREADS