• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is it better to say nothing?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I know it might reek of being under the rule of omerta, but then nobody can also accuse you of being a hypocrite (ie slam Ricco and Landis, but wax lyrical about Basso, Millar etc.), and you know, just get on with your job even if you are clean? I know for me personally, I hate making myself the centre of attention.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I know for me personally, I hate making myself the centre of attention.

Now, that´s funny
0080.gif

craig1985 > Join Date: May 2009

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, apparently its hard to 'say nothing' when you are a guy like Freire. B/c apparently, Freire lived in a generation in which all cyclists were HEROES.

WOO HOO

Yea, Quaranta, Vainsteins, what heroes. Back when there was no test for EPO, anything under 50% qualified you as a hero.
(Anything over 50%, you were simply a hero who happened to be dehydrated.)

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
its personal no one likes ricco in the peloton people like basso etc... he not a ***. its not a double standard its a personal dislike for him as a person that fuels these comments. p.s. love freire great consistent classy rider.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Today, it's probably better for the young rider to say nothing. He needs friends in the peloton and in the cars, as he has several more contracts to secure before retirement. A rider like Friere may be in his last contract so he has little to lose financially. He's ridden long enough and well enough to command a lot of respect. It's hard to make a guy with his ability and palmares disappear, unlike the domestique or neo-pro. It is refreshing to see a Spaniard speak out, especially one offering anything but complete support for Contador.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
It's a risk for riders when they speak out about several topics. But sometimes it would better they did. I think that cycling rules are on the verge of change so why shouldn't riders who are harrassing those who speak out receive a ban? They put damage to cycling as if they were doping. :rolleyes:

they shouldn't say anything at all. Personally what i hate the most is to hear from those claiming to the world being clean as a whistle & then coming up with such stupid excuses as soon as their adverse tests reveal the very rotten core they have. Just STFU and play the unbiased game:)

craig1985 said:
I know it might reek of being under the rule of omerta, but then nobody can also accuse you of being a hypocrite (ie slam Ricco and Landis, but wax lyrical about Basso, Millar etc.), and you know, just get on with your job even if you are clean? I know for me personally, I hate making myself the centre of attention.

Is it better to say nothing?

Ben Franklin said that it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it is OK to say nothing if you Know the truth, but the trouble is most just suspect or think it is so and comment like they saw it happen.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:
I don't think it is OK to say nothing if you Know the truth, but the trouble is most just suspect or think it is so and comment like they saw it happen.

That's a tough call for all of us, too. Eating the young isn't really the way to solve the problems plaguing the sport but if a rider like Freire is certifiably clean he certainly has the credentials to represent his generation. The other riders would certainly know his level of credibility and guage their support.
It would also be OK to respond to an interviewer: "I don't know the guy and have no clue what he might have done. If he did half of what is alleged it would be bad."

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
It is easy to fight a moral crusade here on the internet where no one knows your name address and telephone number.

take the 3,000 foot view ask yourself the same question as it pertains to your own industry and profession.

Is it better to speak your mind about things you can't control or keep your mouth shut, get to work and do your job?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
It's the code of the schoolyard:

1) Don't tattle.

2) Always make fun of those who are different than you.

3) Don't say ANYTHING unless you're certain everyone else feels the same way you do.

Bart_the_General2.jpg

TRENDING THREADS