• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is it possible?

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi all.
Currently recouperating from a coming together of bike and car. My Specialized Roubaix survived, however my road riding career has come to an end.

I was wondering if any adjustments (wheel/brake etc) could be made to the bike to enable me to take the it off road. Unfortunately, Cyclo-cross is not big here in Australia but you've got to start somewhere!

Thank's for any info.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
What's the max tire the frame can handle? This will likely be the major limitation on you using cyclocross tires. Road brakes likely won't clear the larger tires either.

You may be better off getting a proper frame that can handle cantilevers and larger tires with room to spare.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
hea sorry about the accident. if it your future is off road, get a mtb. if just a nerve thing, your reaction is normal, but will decrease over time.

bright cycling tops (be more visible) and rear view mirrors (be more aware) seem to help guys i work with.

dont let it kill your love for the king of sport

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Depends on the type of off-road. For fire roads and packed trails I would much rather have a cyclocross than a MT bike. For unimproved trails with rocks, streams, logs, etc. then go for a MT bike.

As said above, road frames may or may not take a wide tyre. If I remember correctly the Roubaix has a bit extra space, but possibly not enough for 32mm tyres. Go by a shop and see if they can fit Michalin Jets or something similar that are big enough for trails, but not huge, and are also fine for pavement.

Also as said above, if everybody that has a bad experience ont eh road quits, the cars win. We can't let the cars win.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
lostintime said:
What's the max tire the frame can handle? This will likely be the major limitation on you using cyclocross tires. Road brakes likely won't clear the larger tires either.

You may be better off getting a proper frame that can handle cantilevers and larger tires with room to spare.

You can only squeeze a 28 in there...maybe a 32 but I have not tried that big.

I second another post...you should be able to sell the Roubaix for a good price and get yourself into pretty solid hardtail MTB or proper entry level cross bike.

Good luck!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
marypierce said:

DUI Attorney

So the guy got plastered by a car and you thought this was an appropriate place to advertise how to beat a drunk driving charge? Way to know your clientele there Mary.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
So the guy got plastered by a car and you thought this was an appropriate place to advertise how to beat a drunk driving charge? Way to know your clientele there Mary.

+1

Back to gaol, now, Chris Jongewaard

Aug 29, 2009
Visit site
You can try some 22mm rims with 25- 28mm tires, what ever the frame can handle. The brakes should be OK as far as clearing the tires. I have a set of 25mm Panaracer messenger tires on a Giant OCR and that works fine. The biggest problem is terrain. Some areas demand a much lower tire pressure and your roadtires would pinch out. For fun, go for it. For racing get a proper CX frame and use what you can from the Roubaix, then source for the rest.
Good luck, it's a fun sport.

TRENDING THREADS