• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Odd Christian Eiking an Odd, Christian Viking?

I don't know anything about his religion or idiosyncracies but the thread title was too obvious to miss.

He will lead the Vuelta in the penultimate weekend, not many riders do that these days without ending up featuring high on GC (since 2015, only Simon Yates, Jesús Herrada and Jan Polanc has worn a leader's jersey on stage 14 or later without finishing in the top 10).

Can he finish in the top 10? I was surprised that he was climbing as well as he was before he got the jersey so I don't think it can be ruled completely out even if the worst is yet to come (climbing wise).

One thing I don't get; why is it that stage wins don't seem to matter to him at all? He didn't even try to follow Storer on the day he got the jersey. Of course he had to keep an eye on Martin but he was evidently the stronger of the two. And yesterday, he was just chilling at the back of the bunch before hitting the final ramp which should be his specialty. A bit baffling to me, even if he hardly could have beat Roglic anyway.

Reactions: Bonimenier
Not to sound boring or ... odd, but if it is of any interest: The real meaning of the Norwegian word "Odd" is something like the pointy and sharp end. Such as the tip of an arrow or a pointy end of a landmass towards the sea. You could maybe even use it as the front of a peloton. In other words, for a Norwegian it is a very suiting name for a red jersey wearer at the Vuelta.

Not to sound boring or ... odd, but if it is of any interest: The real meaning of the Norwegian word "Odd" is something like the pointy and sharp end. Such as the tip of an arrow or a pointy end of a landmass towards the sea. You could maybe even use it as the front of a peloton. In other words, for a Norwegian it is a very suiting name for a red jersey wearer at the Vuelta.

So, he's a rider you should expect to see at the pointy end of races?

Reactions: Sciatic
logo.png

..as illustrated in the logo of the Norwegian football team Odd Grenland

I think this is actually very interesting info, I was wondering whether Odd meant something specific in Norwegian.

Btw., I also enjoyed the discussion about various surnames in the Vuelta stage thread because I like to learn new stuff, YMMV.

Gotta love a rider with name that can be punified in more than one way! :cool:

Actually, it Is even more. In Norwegian you can use the word "eiker" for wheel spokes. So you could in some dialects say eiking for a wheel spoke. So I guess an attempt to translate could end up being: Sharp Christian Wheel Spoke. Now it is much more likely that Eiking has something to do with Eik as in an Oak, but it is much more fun to think of him as wheel spoke:D

I do wish the best for our pointy Norwegian in the Vuelta though. It would be great if he can land the best GC result for a Norwegian ever in a Grand Tour. If I am not mistaken it is Carl Fredrik Hagen´s 8th place from the Vuelta a couple of years ago that is the best ever, so it could be achievable if he can keep fighting.
I usually know Norway for its XC skiers, but agree it would be nice to see one of yours do well in cycling.

I usually know Norway for its XC skiers, but agree it would be nice to see one of yours do well in cycling

We are longing for a GC contender. But Odd Christian Eiking took everyone in Norway by surprise. No one expected to se him in red. He is a good rider and has been for years although he doesn't have a lot of merits. He has some punch and is a good finisher and is an ok climber. It is great to see him in red, but no one is expecting any miracles from him.

Norwegian riders have won the Tour de lÁvenir twice in a row now. So we keep hoping.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS