• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is SRAM Red as good as the hype suggests?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
Ok got it.

So apart from the chains, the chain rings, the levers, the shifting, the rebadged derailleurs and the bottom brackets.... they're an absolutely fantastic throwaway groupset.

Monty Python you have a lot to answer for.

brakes, cranks, cables,...:D

Well Poly i must admire your sarcastic quotes.

Boeing said:
the front mech works superior to shimano or campy. imho
W/o doubt and from the bike shop trenches, the very best front der shifting action is Di2 and the 7900 crank-the best, fastest bar none. Second is 7900/6700/5700 STI and a 7900 FD and crank..followed by SR/Record/Chorus Campagnolo.

sram red is awful and Rival/Force/Apex isn't much better-IME

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I cannot really comment on the performance of the Sram Red Group Set, because I have never ridden with it. But I have used Sram Components before on one of my Bikes. Sram Rival Chain Rings, a Sram chain and a Sram Rival OG 1070 10-Speed Cassette. All the rest of the components were Shimano.

Now I got rid of the Sram Chain after a couple a hundred of Miles because it was rubbish and replaced it with a Shimano Chain. Huge difference. After about 400 miles the shifting performance of the Cassette began to deteriorate, and no amount of cable adjustment would fix it. Got rid of that cassette and replaced it with a Shimano cassette. Again a fair difference in shifting quality subsequent to replacement.

Now I heard about the New Sram Red Groupset when it came out on the market. It was advertised all over the internet and hyped up. Used by professional Teams Ect. Trying to Sell Sell Sell..............

Last Year I seen a bike equipped with a Sram Red Groupset. So I had a look at it. Aesthetically it did not catch the eye. Looked rather cheap. What caught my attention
in particular was the very ugly and quite fragile looking Front Derailleur. Very dull finish. And the brake set looks almost anorexic. Skeleton like, with the idea being of course from a design aspect, to cut down on weight. Now I am sure the Sram Red Groupset is quite good, but at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice regarding purchase of a whatever particular Groupset You prefer.

Personally I would choose Shimano Over Sram any day. The quality and reliability of Shimano is hard to beat. The gear shifting and braking performance of Shimano components are excellent. I own three bikes all equipped with Shimano Dura-Ace And Ultegra components. Never had any problems whatsoever.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
fiftyfour eleven said:
Seriously mate you talk alot of sh_t.

Group sets on PRO bikes is a business that SRAM are desperate to win, no matter what the price. It's bunnies like you that get sucked in by it.

Maybe a better view of what really is the business would be to see what Ex-Pros choose to use on their own bikes once the cheques stop rolling in? It aint SRAM.

I beg to differ. I turned up at a race earlier this year, and when I was waiting to start. former Silence-Lotto, and DS for Saxo Bank for 2011, Nick Gates was riding a Ridley with SRAM Red. For 2009 I saw him riding his 2008 team bike, but this year he had a new frame and different groupset. But I guess he got a mate's rate deal on that.

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been a hard core Dura Ace fan for the last decade, but the team rides SRAM, so I"ve started riding some RED components. I also used Force for CX this year and was happy.

So far, I'm swapped out the shifters and rear derailer. The force shifters have a LOT of feedback to the rider. This includes snapping, popping, and a firm shifter feel (note: some people like this, I do not). The RED shifters seem to have shorter throw, and I find them much quieter and more agreeable on the hands and ears.

The shifters are still not as nice as Dura Ace, but they are cheaper and lighter. I am not sure of the durability.

It may depend on your personal preference, but if you're a racer on a budget, RED is a good choice. If your budget is a little higher, and you don't mind a tad more weight, Dura Ace is for you. If you are a dentist riding a Serotta, Campy is right up your alley (Ha!, but it sure is pricey).

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I've never used SRAM Red, but have had SRAM Rival 10sp on my road bike for 3 years now. It replaced the 8 year old 9sp Ultegra group set then on the bike. I've had no problems with it in terms of things breaking and I like the slightly clunky feel when I change gear. I also like the lack of exposed gear cables and the main lever not moving around when I brake.

In the end, you like what you like. If money were no object, I'd get Campy Record (or Super Record).

RussellRides said:
It may depend on your personal preference, but if you're a racer on a budget, RED is a good choice. If your budget is a little higher, and you don't mind a tad more weight, Dura Ace is for you. If you are a dentist riding a Serotta, Campy is right up your alley (Ha!, but it sure is pricey).

Campy is only really expensive if you are stupid enough to pay U.S. retail prices. Buy from a European online source and the price is not much different than Shimano. What is really expensive are Shimano's non-repairable, throwaway brifters.

Right On!

BroDeal said:
Campy is only really expensive if you are stupid enough to pay U.S. retail prices. Buy from a European online source and the price is not much different than Shimano. What is really expensive are Shimano's non-repairable, throwaway brifters.

Amen, Bro(ther)!

It is tiresome to here people perpetuate the myth that campy is more expensive. Competitive price, performance equal to Shimano/SRAM with the added durability and repairability. All of this while still being made in a country that pays a fair wage and has environmental and safety standards as well as a social safety net.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Black Dog said:
It is tiresome to here people perpetuate the myth that campy is more expensive. Competitive price, performance equal to Shimano/SRAM with the added durability and repairability. All of this while still being made in a country that pays a fair wage and has environmental and safety standards as well as a social safety net.

Note: I believe that some Campy product is made/assembled in Hungary and the Czech Republic. Just saying for sake of clarity.