• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

is team sky the worst team tactically in cycling?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
I don't know if it was tactically moronic really; I just know that they suck the life out of any stage for most of the viewers who aren't island dwellers who are cheering though their crooked teeth, their latest adopted national hero...

Is it fair to say you haven't watched Sky race since Wiggins won the Tour?

Re: Re:

kenk09 said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
I don't know if it was tactically moronic really; I just know that they suck the life out of any stage for most of the viewers who aren't island dwellers who are cheering though their crooked teeth, their latest adopted national hero...

Evidently, you haven't....

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
How is Froome being in yellow proof that SKy are good tactically? Its what we have always said, they just have the guy(s) who push out the most watts and end up winning despite tactics.

The echelons stage is not what got Froome the yellow jersey. Froome would have the yellow jersey regardless. He got it from smashing everyone bar Purito on the single gc stage of the race. Which is what many/ most of us always said would happen as we picked Froome to win the Tour despite his teams poor tactics, because he is by far the strongest in the race.

And one of the reasons Sky's poor tactics, for all those asking the "why do you pick on Sky" question, get brought up is that they claim to be the most intelligent and most tactically astute team in the peloton, dismissing other teams as amateur and full of idiots. Yet its the same team that should have easily got 1-2 in the 2011 Vuelta and somehow managed to not win it.

Obviously Froome should have won the 2011 Vuelta but how on earth could Wiggins have beaten Cobo at all, let alone with the ease you suggest?

Re:

The Hitch said:
How is Froome being in yellow proof that SKy are good tactically? Its what we have always said, they just have the guy(s) who push out the most watts and end up winning despite tactics.

The echelons stage is not what got Froome the yellow jersey. Froome would have the yellow jersey regardless. He got it from smashing everyone bar Purito on the single gc stage of the race. Which is what many/ most of us always said would happen as we picked Froome to win the Tour despite his teams poor tactics, because he is by far the strongest in the race.

And one of the reasons Sky's poor tactics, for all those asking the "why do you pick on Sky" question, get brought up is that they claim to be the most intelligent and most tactically astute team in the peloton, dismissing other teams as amateur and full of idiots. Yet its the same team that should have easily got 1-2 in the 2011 Vuelta and somehow managed to not win it.

What utter drivel. Where have SKY "dismissing other teams as amateur and full of idiots ". Can you point to this quote.

Or even "they claim to be the most intelligent and most tactically astute team ". Where are the quote for this

A team in yellow after this week are doing a great job.
The level of negative bile is indicative of dislike of SKY's lead and nothing else

This week SKY have not dominated stages or 'sucked the life' out of anything
Its been a hectic week and they have withstood that better than most

But hey the haters just want to have any excuse to attack
Small minded people that haven't a clue about tactics

And Frooem at the front today was because Thomas was dropped....He still managed to keep the yellow

Watching Froome ride a bicycle is like what I imagine it would look like if you watched a baby giraffe being trained to ride a bicycle. Add to that the hideous blue skunk stripe, the David Walsh sponsored assurances that they are riding on nothing but cupcakes and rainbows, their fans spilling their pints on their keyboards while typing their latest huzzahs, the fact that the baby giraffe will ride off everyone while gazing at his stem, and the fact that he has about as much personality as a set of Tektro brakes, and you'll have to just understand that they make any race in which they're contending a joyless exercise in viewing.

But hey, I felt the same about US Postal...

Pantani Attacks said:
TomLPC said:
I think the level of delusion and bitterness that rears its head on this forum is in direct proportion to the level in which Froome is above his rivals.

Froome is not levels above his rivals...Contador and Nibali are leagues ahead of him as seen by their GT wins. He's about the same as Quintana tbh.

You should not be so obviously biased.

How is 1 Giro and 1 second place at the Tour on the same level as 1 Tour, 1 second place at the Tour, 2 second places and a 4:th at the Vuelta?

Try and be at least somewhat objective.

ChewbaccaDefense said:
kenk09 said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:

Evidently, you haven't....

what a way to deflect from the question...Touche

HelloDolly said:
The Hitch said:

What utter drivel. Where have SKY "dismissing other teams as amateur and full of idiots ". Can you point to this quote.

Or even "they claim to be the most intelligent and most tactically astute team ". Where are the quote for this

A team in yellow after this week are doing a great job.
The level of negative bile is indicative of dislike of SKY's lead and nothing else

This week SKY have not dominated stages or 'sucked the life' out of anything
Its been a hectic week and they have withstood that better than most

But hey the haters just want to have any excuse to attack
Small minded people that haven't a clue about tactics

And Frooem at the front today was because Thomas was dropped....He still managed to keep the yellow

Yeah Hitch, some quotes would be nice.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
Watching Froome ride a bicycle is like what I imagine it would look like if you watched a baby giraffe being trained to ride a bicycle. Add to that the hideous blue skunk stripe, the David Walsh sponsored assurances that they are riding on nothing but cupcakes and rainbows, their fans spilling their pints on their keyboards while typing their latest huzzahs, the fact that the baby giraffe will ride off everyone while gazing at his stem, and the fact that he has about as much personality as a set of Tektro brakes, and you'll have to just understand that they make any race in which they're contending a joyless exercise in viewing.

But hey, I felt the same about US Postal...

good post chewie

Re:

The Hitch said:

sorry, but you are relentless to sky. obviously negatively biased opinion. yeah, sky were wrong with picking up the correct rider for leadership during the race but wiggins had 4th place in the tour behind his shoulders, the dawg was a completely uncertain quantity and could hugely crack on any stage. so the decision had its logic. thats cycling

Walkman said:
Pantani Attacks said:
TomLPC said:
I think the level of delusion and bitterness that rears its head on this forum is in direct proportion to the level in which Froome is above his rivals.

Froome is not levels above his rivals...Contador and Nibali are leagues ahead of him as seen by their GT wins. He's about the same as Quintana tbh.

How is 1 Giro and 1 second place at the Tour on the same level as 1 Tour, 1 second place at the Tour, 2 second places and a 4:th at the Vuelta?

Well he's closer to Quintana than he is to Nibali.

Point still remains, not on the level of Nibbles and Contador

Pantani Attacks said:
Walkman said:
Pantani Attacks said:
TomLPC said:

Well he's closer to Quintana than he is to Nibali.

Point still remains, not on the level of Nibbles and Contador

Which is why Nibbles, who has trained for a massive peak and is the same age as Froome, looks like he's going to be nowhere near challenging him? :confused:

I think sky has done alright tactically. okay, froome might have gained more on nibali & quintana on stage 2 had sky ridden. then again stannard was not too hot and tinkoff had the numbers in the front group, so riding could have opened them up for an ambush. in the end sagan and bennati punctured and there was no crosswind, but one could still argue it was reasonable to play safety at that point.

other than that, they have delivered froome into a good position for important sections and finales, and the guy has delivered himself. so I don't really see what's the matter in this regard.

of course, it all very likely boils down to what fearless greg lemond said, ie it is easy to shine when you are confident to have one gear plus on the competition, just like USPS or banesto did. and to me this model of riding doesn't make the team any more likable. but by far it would be pushing it to call them tactically bad in this race. on the contrary they are kinda where you'd imagine they want to be.

the sceptic said:
Froome riding like a headless chicken on the front for no reason.

Froome's so crazy strong, he can do what he wants. He runs out of domestiques, he doms for himself - his win at Col du Béal in last year's Dauphiné perhaps being the best example of this, after which Contador said he'd never seen anyone that strong. Or, in different circumstances, his win in 2012's Tour after setting the pace to Planche Des Belles Filles.

Froome often rides at his own pace as that's the quickest way he (and therefore, anyone else) is getting from A-B uphill, and if that means he's on the front for a while, no biggie. For one thing, his riding today stopped Bert or Piti or anyone else who's potentially a GC threat from jumping clear and gaining even a handful of seconds, and watching it live, I got the impression he maybe thought he could win the stage. Once that wasn't happening, he knocked it off.

Yeah, tactically, all this maybe doesn't look great, but then again, see my first sentence above...

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site

dacooley said:
The Hitch said:

sorry, but you are relentless to sky. obviously negatively biased opinion. yeah, sky were wrong with picking up the correct rider for leadership during the race but wiggins had 4th place in the tour behind his shoulders, the dawg was a completely uncertain quantity and could hugely crack on any stage. so the decision had its logic. thats cycling

Sky is owned by a zombie who tells us what to believe, and what to think and to do, just can't be popular. Froome didn't crack in the mountains of the 2011 Vuelta, Wiggins did. Nonetheless, the next year he was the leader of Sky at the TdF again, and it was to become the boringmost in living memory, a huge letdown after the great 2011 one. Sky knew before that Tour that Froome trailed Wiggins in the TT only by a whisker and was the much better climber, but he had to guide Wiggins to every mountain top. Not the best man won, but the one best for business and due for a knighthood. Froome stayed with this horrible team nonetheless, can't complain that the number of his fans remained managable. Looks a little odd on the bike as well, gangly and with clunky shades. He's in a new situation though, head and shoulders above this year's Sky team. No lieutenant this time who's almost an equal. Might want to ask AC how to do it, he knows.

rick james said:
Gigs_98 said:
rick james said:
blackmamba said:
Yes ofcourse they are thats something everyone knows (everyone besides the brits:D) (shocker!)they also said porte was winning the giro and that sky has dominating every GT last 5 years (even tho they have only won 2 GT's ever :D )so their not really something to take serious but a good laugh nonetheless :p :p hahha

who said that?
many sky fans
show me...I havent sen anyone say that unless they were trolling...
Thats unfair. There are no sky fans who aren't trolling...

No seriously I read that quite some times when discussions became off topic-

He's in a new situation though, head and shoulders above this year's Sky team. No lieutenant this time who's almost an equal. Might want to ask AC how to do it, he knows.

So Contador is not head and shoulders above his team?? You may have a point ...just like in 2013 when Kreuziger was sacrificed for Contador and was better at the time.
SKY is such a horrible team but TCS with a litany of past dopers and a meglomanic owner who is homophobic , sexist and racist are great ?

The hypocrisy and ineffectual arguments are ridiculous and show haters for what they are

the sceptic said:
SeriousSam said:
snccdcno said:
TomLPC said:

Going by your sign up time Sceptic is just doing his best to recruit new members for CN.
Truthful observations enlarging the community, sign of a healthy forum.
hopefully CN will reward me and make me a mod for my efforts.

Being a cn mod is your idea of a reward? :eek:

Re:

Ramon Koran said:
Once sky hit the mountains tactics wont matter anymore, kennaugh, Thomas and roche will progressively reduce the peleton to 20 riders, konig will reduce it to 10, poels to 5 and porte will launch Froome. All the bitter bertie, nibali fans will then launch their usual winging.

What is "winging"?