• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is this a paywall website now?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In case you didn't see my edit:
Reading a bit further in the document, I really can't see how it compares. What's your point? To play WoW you had to agree to the ToU that forbade bots explicitly. Here's some of CN's cookie policy:

How does Future use cookies?
Future, together with our trusted partners, uses cookies in combination with other information we maintain for a number of purposes, including the following:
1. Essential and Functional Cookies
We use these cookies to enable certain online functionality including:
  • accessing your information so we can provide you with customised content and experiences, or remember the last page you visited on the Services;
  • identifying returning users, registrants and subscribers and allow them to be presented with a personalised version of the site;
  • eliminating the need for returning users to re-enter their login details;
  • commenting on our sites;
  • operating a shopping trolley on a variety of our Services including www.magazinesdirect.com;
  • maintaining your settings and authenticating your identity while you are logged in to the Services;
  • to support security measures and to assist in identifying possible fraudulent or abusive activities.
If you object to the use of essential and functional cookies please see here: How can users manage or opt out of cookies?
[...]
How can users manage or opt-out of cookies?
Some people find the idea of a website storing information on their device a little intrusive, in particular when the information is stored and used by a third party. For example, you may object to being served advertising which is targeted to your interests based on your browsing history. If you would prefer to opt out of cookies, it is possible to control cookies by following the steps below, however you should be aware that you might lose some features and functionality of the website if you do so.
Cookies, including those which have already been set, can be deleted from your hard drive. You can also change the preferences/settings in your web browser to control cookies. Some internet browsers have a ‘Do Not Track or ‘DNT’ setting; this sends a signal to websites asking them not to track your browsing. The following links may be helpful:
Cookie setting in Firefox
Cookie setting in Safari – desktop and mobile devices
Cookie setting in Internet Explorer
Cookie setting in Chrome
Cookie setting in Opera
In some cases, you can choose to accept cookies from the primary site, but block them from third parties. In others, you can block cookies from specific advertisers, or clear out all cookies. Deleting or blocking cookies may reduce functionality of the site. To learn more about how to reject cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/ or go to the help menu within your internet browser. If you experience any problems having deleted cookies, you should contact the supplier of your web browser.

~~~

We may delete or block cookies, but then we might lose some features and functionality in turn, that's it. It's explicitly allowed and in no way forbidden to use software that block cookies. So the complete opposite of the case you linked.

You're also applying it to people like me and others here who flush their cookies. Or certainly you make it seem you are.
Maybe we should go back to the start of this conversation. I said I hit the pay wall, people said I could avoid it, I said I wouldn’t. Anything since then I’ve said about people who are purposefully doing something to avoid it. You have said you’ve been hit with it, so clearly you’re consuming enough of their content to trip whatever limit they’ve set. It’s up to you what you do and I really don’t care either way, I’ve just given my opinion on people who are purposefully avoiding it.

No, I was talking specifically about people who have faced it or are doing something that means they won't. Sorry for any confusion.

You're really a fan of rules, aren't you?

I faced it back in October but the last couple of months, I haven't seen the wall. Should I give myself a moral lecture for not having limited myself to five articles a month when I know they have an intention of that being the cap?

Am I allowed to read five on my PC and five on my phone or is that circumventing the rule too?

Its a crap system because I haven't read anything for quite a while so that I could save articles, but today I couldn't watch the race so I tried to read the recap and got the "sorry you've read 5" message. BS!

Same for me. I haven't read any full article on the website in months because it always shows me the paywall. I haven't observed once that the counter is set back and that I can read five articles for free again.

Well its May 1 and I copped the paywall again. So much for the 5 free articles per month when accessing from my normal device (false advertising?). When I access via my phone I don't see the paywall so it must detect via the IP address not user name. But it is still very annoying.