• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 170 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Well I think Walsh has gone into hiding. We may never hear from him again. Or at least to this blows over. You'd think seeing that Froome can't be any cleaner Walsh would have had no issues in explaining the asthma and cortisone usage.

he thinks Contador is clean too

Edit: as has been mentioned here before, but is worth repeating I reckon

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Well I think Walsh has gone into hiding. We may never hear from him again. Or at least to this blows over. You'd think seeing that Froome can't be any cleaner Walsh would have had no issues in explaining the asthma and cortisone usage.

his pieces on sky/froome are destined to become cult reading material.
you just couldn't make it up.
Two young men ran beside Froome, each with a "toy" giant syringe filled with an unknown substance. One got close, pressed the plunger and sprayed the substance directly into his face. The leader instinctively struck out with his right arm and punched the guy in the face, an act of physical violence utterly at odds with his character. "Some of the stuff went into my mouth, it might have been beer but I was conscious of not wanting to swallow even a drop and just kept spitting out. I was thinking, 'What if there's some product in that stuff'."

The ascents of Alpe d'Huez scared him. "Once there were riots in Kenya and my mum and I got stopped going through a particularly dangerous township. The protesters rocked our car, we didn't know what was going to happen. Alpe d'Huez reminded me of that day."

Farrell met some Irish fans the next morning in Bourg d'Oisans and told his compatriots how disappointed he'd been by the reaction to Froome and Sky. "Our team is doing this sport in the right way," he said, "and that's what we get from you guys." There were tears in his eyes as he spoke.

A little later, four cyclists from Lakeside Cycling Club in Mullingar found Brailsford and told him they were sorry. A Dutch journalist told me he was shamed by the behaviour of his compatriots.

Through it all, Froome has been a beacon of calmness. When Portal suggested appealing against Froome's 20-second penalty for taking that feed on Alpe d'Huez, the leader advised him not to. "Nico, if I hadn't got the gels at that point, I could have lost two minutes. Twenty seconds is OK." This has been a terrific Tour de France and it has delivered a great new champion, one who started out in Kenya's Ngong hills and learnt to love the bike while riding with a group of black friends. It was his good fortune to enter the sport when anti-doping controls were becoming more effective and attitudes changing. As for the mob reaction on Thursday, it was a reminder of how Lance Armstrong was regarded. Once he was the most loved sportsman on the planet. Partly because of that betrayal, the mob was baying for Froome's blood on the Alpe. They were wrong when Armstrong was winning. And they are wrong now about Froome.
http://pastebin.com/UXrzj16r

elduggo said:
LOLs

I was there that day. That article is a complete fabrication. Utter nonsense.

Walsh's byline has been: "show me the evidence and I'll investigate".

All he has done us climb under a rock!

Then again I'm sure Walsh is full of surprises. Expect a 2 page spread this Sunday on Froome's lifelong 'battle with asthma".

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:

Then again I'm sure Walsh is full of surprises. Expect a 2 page spread this Sunday on Froome's lifelong 'battle with asthma".

sunday week maybe. This sunday is part 2 of an piece on Cavendish which, if it tells us as little as part 1 last sunday, will be a waste of time

Edit: oh no, I misread the date on his twitter feed. Thats what happens when he blocks you!

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

It is pretty telling how quiet Walsh has gone, especially considering the World Cup is taking place! Not one tweet since 12 June... seems pretty bizarre for the chief sports writer of The Sunday Times to not even comment on England's failure at the tournament! Perhaps he's partying hard in Rio!

Nevermind 'Where's Wally?' It's all about 'Where's Walshy?' But then again, perhaps 'Where's Wally?' might be more apt!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting that even Armstrong is tweeting about the silence coming from Walsh since the TUE.

J
‏@salfordstan
Finished @DavidWalshST intriguing story of his dogged pursuit of @lancearmstrong now straight onto the other side pic.twitter.com/5OJA8nOvGA

Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong Jun 15
@salfordstan he sure is quiet today tho....

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Very interesting that even Armstrong is tweeting about the silence coming from Walsh since the TUE.

He's back!

David Walsh @DavidWalshST · 16m
@crazeeguy Craig, I wanted to look into Sky's use of TUE for CF at T of R. In my view team were wrong, should have pulled Froome from race.

David Walsh @DavidWalshST · 10m
@jules52 Julius, TUE question not suited to twitter. I've written about it in tomorrow's ST. Bottom line, Sky should not use TUEs in races.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Be interesting if Walsh asked some real questions!

Like how many TUEs have Sky riders had since beginning in 2010?

Which riders had most TUEs?

What is Froome's vo2max?

When did CF get asthma?

Why did CF not mention it for book?

What does CF weigh?

Lets hope has asks for some proof this time!

But all too late, he wrote the autobiography FFS!

I dont hold out Walsh will have done some journalism for tomorrows ST.

Walsh is back!

2a9bj0h.jpg

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
He-manuelle Sella said:
He's back!

David Walsh @DavidWalshST · 16m
@crazeeguy Craig, I wanted to look into Sky's use of TUE for CF at T of R. In my view team were wrong, should have pulled Froome from race.

David Walsh @DavidWalshST · 10m
@jules52 Julius, TUE question not suited to twitter. I've written about it in tomorrow's ST. Bottom line, Sky should not use TUEs in races.

KJyaKIB.png

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
From Sunday times 22 June :

David Walsh

"As in the case of the appointment of Leinders, Team Sky talk the talk of high ethical standards but do not walk the walk.

This question of TUEs is hugely important because they have been so abused in the past. The Movement For Credible Cycling (MPCC), which includes 11 of pro cycling’s top 18 teams among its members, is fundamentally opposed to the granting of TUEs for riders in competition. Team Sky have chosen not to join the MPCC and are not governed by the movement’s rules on TUEs.

But here is the bit that is distinctly uncomfortable for Team Sky and Froome. The other four riders in the top five at the Tour of Romandie are all from MPCC teams and not one of them would have been allowed to apply for the therapeutic use exemption that Froome received.

Team Sky like to portray themselves as the most ethical team in the peloton.

The evidence says otherwise.
"

Rejoice, Clinicians. The lost sheep Walsh has been found.... ;)

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
martinvickers said:

David Walsh

Even the most devout skybot could come to that conclusion. Walsh is in damage control mode, and will do his best to ignore the real problems while writing crap like this. Call it vortexing if you will.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
martinvickers said:

David Walsh

Thanks Martin.

I'll be buying it tomorrow myself but is there any quotes by Brailsford or anyone inside Sky on it?

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
Thanks Martin.

I'll be buying it tomorrow myself but is there any quotes by Brailsford or anyone inside Sky on it?

None. Itself interesting.

Get the feeling this is a major issue for Walsh. The bromance may be ending prematurely

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Walsh is paid to write. He writes about Froome cause at that point he is the popular subject, now the TUE in racing has come about he writes about that.

msjett said:
Walsh is paid to write. He writes about Froome cause at that point he is the popular subject, now the TUE in racing has come about he writes about that.

He acknowledges the asthma but never mentioned it in the book? :confused:

He was still suffering from a chest infection that had caused him to pull out of the Liege-Bastogne-Liege classic two days earlier. Froome is asthmatic and inflammation in his respiratory channel led to these prolonged bouts of coughing. After the intense effort of the prologue the coughing was worse than ever and, facing five days of racing, Froome spoke with Richard Usher, the Team Sky doctor.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
He acknowledges the asthma but never mentioned it in the book? :confused:

I don't think you should be surprised by that. He was a "ghost" writer remember...So that could be the perfect excuse for his terrible writing and less then factual story telling.

But he is now writing about something that we have all discussed in depth and from various view points for nearly 2 weeks. Maybe he had to get his story vetted by the powers that be, so that it looks like he is questioning but not really.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
msjett said:
I don't think you should be surprised by that. He was a "ghost" writer remember...So that could be the perfect excuse for his terrible writing and less then factual story telling.

But he is now writing about something that we have all discussed in depth and from various view points for nearly 2 weeks. Maybe he had to get his story vetted by the powers that be, so that it looks like he is questioning but not really.

Would be interesting (to me!) to do a lexical analysis of the various books he has written. Some of the passages that have been posted have the wrong feel to them in parts - not something Froome would say, IMO. A bit too literary and I wonder about the vernacular.

eg:

mms8sh.jpg

"It seemed a bit pointless to go on the offensive..."

If you're writing from the POV of someone in a race, the terminology is "go on the attack". On the offensive? Maybe if you studied letters at Cambridge. Grew up in the outback of South Africa taming lions and strangling pythons? Not so much.

TRENDING THREADS