• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 180 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
It is interesting to see other team mates and captains come out in KP's defence

Sure he has an ego but so do shane warne and glenn macgrath, ricky ponting, david gower, ian botham etc etc, to get to the top of the sport you need a huge amount of self belief which will provide a barrier to doubt and confusion which is basically what that ego is.

The fact the team went from number one in the world to the dire straits it has been in for the last 18 months once the major clique in the team turned on KP shows just how destructive it is and how lame the management of the ECB are.

Find a scapegoat and blame them rather than admit the failings, then live with mediocrity for the next few years until we can find another batsmen to come and take it on.

Also interesting to note how frail the youngsters come across when playing for england as opposed to when they play for their counties, very much heard line of commentary is "afraid to fail" when talking about the likes of Root, Morgan et al.

Maybe there is something in the point about senior players and bullying.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
robertmooreheadlane said:
It is interesting to see other team mates and captains come out in KP's defence

Sure he has an ego but so do shane warne and glenn macgrath, ricky ponting, david gower, ian botham etc etc, to get to the top of the sport you need a huge amount of self belief which will provide a barrier to doubt and confusion which is basically what that ego is.

The fact the team went from number one in the world to the dire straits it has been in for the last 18 months once the major clique in the team turned on KP shows just how destructive it is and how lame the management of the ECB are.

Find a scapegoat and blame them rather than admit the failings, then live with mediocrity for the next few years until we can find another batsmen to come and take it on.

Also interesting to note how frail the youngsters come across when playing for england as opposed to when they play for their counties, very much heard line of commentary is "afraid to fail" when talking about the likes of Root, Morgan et al.

Maybe there is something in the point about senior players and bullying.

Criticism can be directed both ways but there's too many people coming out against Pietersen that there has to be substance to it.

People forget after the text scenario with Strauss, Prior was the one who fought to try and get him back in the England fold. Only last year he said it was the best atmosphere ever in an England set up.

Paul Newman his own biographer previously to Walsh has said he was cosying up to Flower to try and get Strauss stripped from the one day captaincy but yet Pietersen in his book claims he hasn't seen eye to eye with Flower since 2009. Someone is telling porkies.

Then for his mouthpiece and shadow Piers Morgan calling Swann a quitter and he disgracefully was doing that to Trott himself. The whole thing is nauseating at this stage and people are now taking sides unconditional. It's toxic tribalism.

The ECB and management do have a lot to answer for and Pietersen saying today that strong management would have prevented is grand but don't think players can't sense weak management and knowingly exploit it in the aftermath.

I say this as a big admirer of Pietersen's game but that can't be allowed to cloud judgement.

It's the same with Keane and his book currently. Trying to take on managerial duties near the end of his time with United and being difficult to handle. Nevertheless over here he gets an easier ride due to his quality as a player.

Interestingly I haven't heard much from Walsh on this Pietersen stuff this week.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
David Walsh @DavidWalshST · 3h

@Wallynomics Wally the Astana positives show situation is probably worse than is generally accepted, but in my view not as bad as back then.

But last year the sport was totally clean when Froome climbed faster than Armstrong, now suddenly the situation is worse. I wonder why. Could it be because sky have stopped winning? :rolleyes:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
But last year the sport was totally clean when Froome climbed faster than Armstrong, now suddenly the situation is worse. I wonder why. Could it be because sky have stopped winning? :rolleyes:

just a hunch but maybe it is the 3 positives? :rolleyes:

WADA still does not have a "Rides fast" test

the sceptic said:
Yes, makes sense. The man who went on a crusade to bring down Lance cant think beyond "never tested positive" logic.

The man who wrote in books about lance about high speeds, VO2, speeds comparable to known dopers, suddenly this is a 'cottage industry' when it comes to Froome.
Froome as fast as lance, and froome is clean in Walsh' head.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
The man who wrote in books about lance about high speeds, VO2, speeds comparable to known dopers, suddenly this is a 'cottage industry' when it comes to Froome.
Froome as fast as lance, and froome is clean in Walsh' head.

It appears you never read any David's books. Very little of what he wrote is about VAM

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:

Race Radio said:
just a hunch but maybe it is the 3 positives? :rolleyes:

WADA still does not have a "Rides fast" test

just maybe the 3 positives was the shot across the bow of Sky, but the artillery ended up as Astana copping collateral damage

Richie went from a legit Tour podium if Brailsford allowed him to ride for his own GC result and not chase in 2013 when the peloton put the frighteners and got the backs up of Sky... would have been on the podium if he was a protected rider in 2013 to johnny nobody. Brailsford and Cookson sent the heads up

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It appears you never read any David's books. Very little of what he wrote is about VAM
so he did write about it.
in fact, the place where he mentions it in 7DS is quite crucial to understanding why walsh never bought into lance.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
so he did write about it.
in fact, the place where he mentions it in 7DS is quite crucial to understanding why walsh never bought into lance.

Lets not forget that he called Contador a doper based on his super human climbing in 2007.

So if Walsh didnt have an agenda he would call Contador a doper in 2014 too.

Race Radio said:

It appears you can't read - I never mentioned VAM
It appears you missed his arguments to Pelkey in '99 about Lance being faster than known dopers based on average speeds and times....but anyway..
Second - go on kindle for Walsh's books on lance, search VO2, speeds, and then come back to me.

Ironic though that last week you said many on here, like myself, are looking for conflict - ironic much - run along to the mods now RR like a good boy. You insult, get insulted back - and then run to the mods. It's pathetic.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Digger said:
It appears you missed his arguments to Pelkey in '99 about Lance being faster than known dopers based on average speeds and times....but anyway..
Second - go on kindle for Walsh's books on lance, search VO2, speeds, and then come back to me.

Ironic though that last week you said many on here, like myself, are looking for conflict - ironic much - run along to the mods now RR like a good boy. You insult, get insulted back - and then run to the mods. It's pathetic.

Some people like to make excuses for certain dopers.

Remember when RR was posting that Froomes transformation was nothing like Lance. That was quite an incredible thing to say.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:

Were you referring to his sprinting?
Digger said:
The man who wrote in books about lance about high speeds, VO2, speeds comparable to known dopers

No need for the insults. The simple fact is Lance to Landis was 352 pages long and very little of it had to do with speed. Certainly it was an element of what he wrote, one he has largely ignore with Froome, but he had hundreds of pages focused on other things

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Remember when RR was posting that Froomes transformation was nothing like Lance. That was quite an incredible thing to say.

Froome's was greater then Lance. At least Lance had won some big races without blood doping.

Race Radio said:
Were you referring to his sprinting?

No need for the insults. The simple fact is Lance to Landis was 352 pages long and very little of it had to do with speed. Certainly it was an element of what he wrote, one he has largely ignore with Froome, but he had hundreds of pages focused on other things

Average speeds, speeds on climbs, times...evidently you didn't read seven deadly sins. His whole arguments to pelkey, to his editor and anyone else who would listen in '99 was speed. In lac there was vo2 max.

In 07 Walsh said ac was doping based totally on going as fast as lance.

He hasn't been consistent. It's pathetic and i don't even know what you are arguing this point for because even his most fervent defenders would accept this.

I'm loving the classic Walsh here:

Contador has never tested positive; however he was initially implicated in the Operacion Puerto scandal that hit the sport in 2006. He was suspected of being the rider whose blood bags were labeled 'AC', but was later cleared.

"We want a winner we can believe in. Everyone wants that. If we had Alberto Contador's involvement in Puerto properly thrashed out and found out precisely who AC was and what he was doing I'd be a lot happier."

"I've always been unhappy when thing's aren't dealt with and his alleged involvement has never been dealt with. When he's asked a question at the Tour about his VO2 Max and doesn't answer, I just think, why? Why would you refuse to answer a question like that? It's something that a lot of cycling fans would like to know."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/walsh-hits-out-at-uci-over-passport

Asked for evidence to back up these claims, Walsh pointed to Antoine Vayer, a former coach from the Festina team, who now analyses data from the Grand Tour's major climbs and rider's power outputs.

"I look at the times and Vayer's take on it. He looked at this year's race: the speed, the speed on the climbs and he said ‘sorry, this sport has not seriously changed'. I'm sure it has changed to a degree but if it hasn't changed at the very top then it hasn't changed in the way we wanted it to."

August 09, 2009

the sceptic said:
If Walsh was posting in the clinic, he would have been banned for trolling a long time ago.

I thought Walsh was somewhat intelligent, but he seems to have lost all sense of self awareness too. The bot mindset really makes sense in his mind. Its sad really.

Money makes people do strange things.

I miss miss Walsh though. Fingers crossed for a new Sky book soon. Maybe on Richie's quest to come 2nd in every event he enters. The Plan B. I need to add to my Bot Collection.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think Walsh has sacrificed his reputation for his employment at ST. He will be 60 in 2015 and has been working at ST since '96 so i guess he is hanging in there till 2016 to get a decent pension out of it.

He is not stupid, Walsh, but obviously has his own reasons for ignoring the bleeding obvious of his hypocrisy and i think it can only be financial.

TRENDING THREADS