• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've also noticed that he is better on steeper gradients. He thrives on more brutal climbs.

If the last 5k of the Arosa climb had been 7-8%, he wouldn't have been able to catch Porte. But on 9-12% gradients, he is probably even better than that Richie.

Re: Re:

Akuryo said:
Cance > TheRest said:
I think he's actually the best cobbles rider of the GC riders (along with Nibali), because he's a little bit heavier than most and due to his mtb background. Don't forget, he was towing Nibali most of the time during the infamous cobbles stage in 2014. He also managed nr 25 or something in his maiden and only RVV participation - not that it says too much about his ability on the flat pavés in france.

If we count Jungels as a GC rider (and we should after finishing 6th and 8th the last two years in Italy) I beg to differ. He alone, but especially with the help of Quickstep should be the best cobble rider by some margin!
I don't count Jungels as a serious top 5 contender. But I agree he's got the physique to ride well on cobbles, not that I've ever noticed him do anything spectacular in cobble stone races?

Cance > TheRest said:
Akuryo said:
Cance > TheRest said:
I think he's actually the best cobbles rider of the GC riders (along with Nibali), because he's a little bit heavier than most and due to his mtb background. Don't forget, he was towing Nibali most of the time during the infamous cobbles stage in 2014. He also managed nr 25 or something in his maiden and only RVV participation - not that it says too much about his ability on the flat pavés in france.

If we count Jungels as a GC rider (and we should after finishing 6th and 8th the last two years in Italy) I beg to differ. He alone, but especially with the help of Quickstep should be the best cobble rider by some margin!
I don't count Jungels as a serious top 5 contender. But I agree he's got the physique to ride well on cobbles, not that I've ever noticed him do anything spectacular in cobble stone races?

Okay, thanks for clarification. In the other post you said GC rider and not top 5 candidate. I also dont see Jungels in the top 5, more like something between 8 and 15. And in my opinion that would still count as a GC rider.

Akuryo said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Akuryo said:
Cance > TheRest said:

Okay, thanks for clarification. In the other post you said GC rider and not top 5 candidate. I also dont see Jungels in the top 5, more like something between 8 and 15. And in my opinion that would still count as a GC rider.
Well, I implicitly meant top 5 contender, which should be clear, if you read further down the original post :)

But I'm not sure what to think now, regarding the ITT. :confused:

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
When has Fuglsang become a good descender? He has always been pretty cautious, at least the last couple of years - stuck in 2010 like his good time trial?

He's always been a good decender, because of his mountain bike background (he was U23 world champ)

Countless times as a domestique, he's been dropped ahead of the summit, and made it back up to Nibali on the decent, and as late as last years tour and dauphine, you saw him make up time on decents.

And cautious? - Dude, he made up time going down 2 big mountains last year, after getting dropped going up (due to breaking his back and wrist the day before)......... because of the broken wrist, he was forced to decend one-handed..... and still made up time - "Caution" indeed :lol:

So I don't quite know where you get the idea from, that he is not a good decender?

- He's always been considered one of the best decenders, who could actually attack going down, on par with the likes of Nibali, Bardet & Valverde.

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site

Broccolidwarf said:
Valv.Piti said:
When has Fuglsang become a good descender? He has always been pretty cautious, at least the last couple of years - stuck in 2010 like his good time trial?

He's always been a good decender, because of his mountain bike background (he was U23 world champ)

Countless times as a domestique, he's been dropped ahead of the summit, and made it back up to Nibali on the decent, and as late as last years tour and dauphine, you saw him make up time on decents.

And cautious? - Dude, he made up time going down 2 big mountains last year, after getting dropped going up (due to breaking his back and wrist the day before)......... because of the broken wrist, he was forced to decend one-handed..... and still made up time - "Caution" indeed :lol:

So I don't quite know where you get the idea from, that he is not a good decender?

- He's always been considered one of the best decenders, who could actually attack going down, on par with the likes of Nibali, Bardet & Valverde.
I don't remember this at all. I haven't watch the stages recently, but in Dauphine he was in the front group at the top last climb of the first stage he won, as well as in the bottom of the descent, and on the last stage he was caught by the Froome group going downhill. I don't remember him descending particularly well in the Tour either. He was one of the last GC guys to get back to the front group after Ag2r split the peloton on the descent on stage 9, and on Mont du Chat he was "dropped" by Bardet, together with the rest of the front group.
I think he's a good descender, but not as good as you try to make him look.

The_Beach said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Valv.Piti said:

I don't remember this at all. I haven't watch the stages recently, but in Dauphine he was in the front group at the top last climb of the first stage he won, as well as in the bottom of the descent, and on the last stage he was caught by the Froome group going downhill. I don't remember him descending particularly well in the Tour either. He was one of the last GC guys to get back to the front group after Ag2r split the peloton on the descent on stage 9, and on Mont du Chat he was "dropped" by Bardet, together with the rest of the front group.

All the years I have listened to Rolf Soerensen commentate cycling - every time Fuglsang was in the mountains, the talk was he was one of the best decenders in the peloton.

But, we'll obviously all see at the tour, there are plenty of crucial decents..... I stand by my comment.

The_Beach said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Valv.Piti said:

I think he's technically a good descender (not fantastic but good). But he's not the most daring descender. The reason he was dropped on the Mont du Chat descent in the Tour was because he was riding with a different tire than usually. He got a spare tire from Grivko when he punctured on Col de la Biche, it says in his new book.

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site

Cance > TheRest said:
The_Beach said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Valv.Piti said:

I think he's technically a good descender (not fantastic but good). But he's not the most daring descender. The reason he was dropped on the Mont du Chat descent in the Tour was because he was riding with a different tire than usually. He got a spare tire from Grivko when he punctured on Col de la Biche, it says in his new book.
I agree, my comment was regarding, the "bolded" statement, as I find myself being more and more annoyed, of people making up things to support their views

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site

Broccolidwarf said:
The_Beach said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Valv.Piti said:

All the years I have listened to Rolf Soerensen commentate cycling - every time Fuglsang was in the mountains, the talk was he was one of the best decenders in the peloton.

But, we'll obviously all see at the tour, there are plenty of crucial decents..... I stand by my comment.
Well Rolf Sørensen, isn't exactly known for his objectivity, especially regarding danish riders. And you're not really responding to my comment. So .. I stand by my comment

The_Beach said:
Broccolidwarf said:
The_Beach said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Valv.Piti said:

Well Rolf Sørensen, isn't exactly known for his objectivity, especially regarding danish riders. And you're not really responding to my comment. So .. I stand by my comment

I look forward to Fuglsang proving you wrong at the tour :)

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site

I look forward to Fuglsang proving you wrong at the tour :)[/quote]
Proving my wrong how? I wrote that I think Fuglsang is a good descender. My only critique, was to your comment, that Fuglsang made up time in the descents in the Dauphine and Tour, which is disagreed with. And so far you haven't wrote anything to back up your statement.

The_Beach said:
Proving my wrong how? I wrote that I think Fuglsang is a good descender. My only critique, was to your comment, that Fuglsang made up time in the descents in the Dauphine and Tour, which is disagreed with. And so far you haven't wrote anything to back up your statement.[/quote]

- - -

You messed up the quote.

- So you agree he is a good decender, but disagree with my reasoning why?

Ok then - I can certainly live with that :cool:

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site

Broccolidwarf said:
The_Beach said:
Proving my wrong how? I wrote that I think Fuglsang is a good descender. My only critique, was to your comment, that Fuglsang made up time in the descents in the Dauphine and Tour, which is disagreed with. And so far you haven't wrote anything to back up your statement.

So you agree he is a good decender, but disagree with my reasoning why?

Ok then - I can certainly live with that :cool:[/quote]
I disagree with your reasoning because your wrote "and as late as last years tour and dauphine, you saw him make up time on decents.". Which is not true, and you provide no examples what so ever. And your only respons to my critique of that quote was "Rolf Sørensen says so"

He obviously isn't bad, but he isn't daring as another posted stated - pretty cautious and conservative, despite him probably being able to be more aggressive on the downhills.

Great time trial today, but can you pump the brakes a bit Broccoli? Fuglsang is a great rider and a top-5 would be nice, lets not get ahead of ourselves and hype him to the moon as always.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
He obviously isn't bad, but he isn't daring as another posted stated - pretty cautious and conservative, despite him probably being able to be more aggressive on the downhills.

Great time trial today, but can you pump the brakes a bit Broccoli? Fuglsang is a great rider and a top-5 would be nice, lets not get ahead of ourselves and hype him to the moon as always.

Froome has to get up early in order to stand a chance :cool:

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

Froome has to get up early in order to stand a chance :cool:
I knew it. :D

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Because you say so? :)

I can hype whoever I like :p

Losing Luis Leon is definitely bad. I'm not sure how big his impact would have been in the biggest mountains, but along with Valgren, I definitely had him as Fuglsang's prime domestique, because he is so versatile. According to Astana's doctor, it's a fractured elbow and some broken ribs. Not the way to go on vacation for LLS :(

Now, the question is how much more time Astana will lose tomorrow because of this? I would not be surprised if, positionally, they will come close to last tomorrow with only 7 guys for the TTT. Gruzdev, Cort, Valgren and Kangert all have good engines, but Jesper Hansen won't be very useful and I have my reservations about Fraile, who I see as more explosive than good at setting a hard pace.

TRENDING THREADS