• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
https://www.bt.dk/cykling/fuglsangs-klumme-nibali-kan-stort-set-ikke-hilse-paa-mig

"I think there's something in relation to the fact that I've been an assistant to him in the past. Now I've been running strong this year and last year and this year I've been running faster than him. My feeling is that he's having a bit of a hard time swallowing it. "

The cold war has started!
This is great haha. It's on. :cool:

I don't think Nibali actually cared that much about it. Now, if he reads it, he'll care.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
https://www.bt.dk/cykling/fuglsangs-klumme-nibali-kan-stort-set-ikke-hilse-paa-mig

"I think there's something in relation to the fact that I've been an assistant to him in the past. Now I've been running strong this year and last year and this year I've been running faster than him. My feeling is that he's having a bit of a hard time swallowing it. "

The cold war has started!
It is hard even as a tv viewer not to notice that Vincenzo is on Jakob's wheel almost all the time. But I think Jakob should just see it as a compliment - to have the dedicated attention of one of the sport's biggest campionissimos is something most riders would envy.

By the way, Jakob's blog is great and a must-read if you want something else than the usual predictable cyclist interview answers. As always with Jakob, he has a way of verbalizing what he thinks with a bit of wry humor mixed in.

It was Nibali who tipped Fuglsang as a hot favorite to win the Giro d'Italia though.

So far he seems to be right. If Fuglsang is in peak shape during the last week I expect a big move on Stelvio!

He needs to stay save until stage 14 of course. Today he was a bit lucky it all went back together after the echelons split the peloton in first instance. Fuglsang seems to be very attentive and has a good adjutant in Boaro so far!

If I recall correctly he was known as a "super-dom" even back then and received nothing but praise for his support of Nibali in the 2014 Tour de France and 2016 Giro d'Italia.

Outside of the cobbled stage he really did not do a lot. Initially he was allowed to protect his own position in both races but he was really bad in the mountains. Still finished 12th in the GC in 2016. Fuglsang has never been a great mountain-dom. Scarponi was the real hero in both races.

Reactions: topcat

This is Jakob's stage 7 blog post. Unfortunately it doesn't include any trash talking of Nibali. But as well as the crosswinds drama, it mentions a crash that he suffered. Fortunately he believes it will not effect him much.

I am patiently waiting for the post about stage 8 and his mechanical when Trek coincidentally were riding at the front :D

Jakob mad:

"To be completely honest, I stuck to Nibali a bit afterwards. As I drove past him, I told him he had better watch out the next time he stopped to pee. That he should choose his moment with care. He did not quite understand the fun of it and went into defensive position.

“No, no, that was not the intention. If we really wanted to lead, we would have led through, ”he explained.

The fact is that Trek picked up 1.5-2 minutes on the descent in relation to the eruption, which did not run slowly either. So they have given that gas on the way down.

Once the Giro is over, Astana and Trek are probably not best friends. But it's part of the game."

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Jakob mad:

"To be completely honest, I stuck to Nibali a bit afterwards. As I drove past him, I told him he had better watch out the next time he stopped to pee. That he should choose his moment with care. He did not quite understand the fun of it and went into defensive position.

“No, no, that was not the intention. If we really wanted to lead, we would have led through, ”he explained.

The fact is that Trek picked up 1.5-2 minutes on the descent in relation to the eruption, which did not run slowly either. So they have given that gas on the way down.

Once the Giro is over, Astana and Trek are probably not best friends. But it's part of the game."

But it was consistent with the way Trek acted in every single descent prior to Fuglsangs puncture. When the peleton goes downhill Trek is at the front. Was the same today.
I think Astana is playing with fire. Fuglsang has been dropped more than once because he wasn´t in a good position. Even today he was caught off guard in the final. In the village at the bottom of the last climb the group was split in half after a tricky corner. Thankfully he immediately closed the gap.

Hatchet buried?

"Nibali sent me a message Saturday night. About the media trying to create a war between us. The Italians have had my column translated and they see us as the two biggest favorites after Geraint Thomas and Simon Yates have passed away.

We got the air cleared a bit and pointed out that we both think the other has done things this year that are not okay. But we agreed to greet each other before the stage today.

Now we both hope we get a good Giro and we do not want a war between him and me. During the race, we will probably sit very much alone, and if we are angry at each other because journalists have helped to blow up a mood, it is a pity, he explained.

And I gave him the right to do so. Maybe we can find common ground if need be."

A kiss of death, perhaps?
4p5Lo13.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Those columns by Fuglsang are enjoyable to read, although Google Translate does pose some problems. A few days ago I read about Fuglsang's three husbands. I assume that should be teammates.

Wonder what word that got translated from.

Also this:

The Italians have had my column translated and they see us as the two biggest favorites after Geraint Thomas and Simon Yates have passed away.

Yeah... "passed away" usually refers to something else.

TRENDING THREADS