• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
tbh his weight doesn't seem to be the problem its not like this matters at all as after the first mountain stage he will be doing domestic work for machado :p

on a serious note tho, he may lose a couple kilos but i don't see that turning him into a GC contender as he seems to lack a lot in recovery

auscyclefan94 said:
I think Andersen means that he is fat for a cyclist or a gc contender. Losing some weight generally does help climbing and looking at his competitors at the Giro, his time trial abilities will be more than sufficient to take time from his competitors.

Basso apparently doesn't feel the need to lose weight and is very similar in weight and stature, as Ryo pointed out. I wonder why that is?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Basso apparently doesn't feel the need to lose weight and is very similar in weight and stature, as Ryo pointed out. I wonder why that is?
Because for him it is the ideal weight and physiologically Basso is different that Fuglsang. For a top climber and GC rider Evans carries around a few extra kilos (of muscle) and in general looks a lot more muscular across his body and legs. For him that works but he is bigger than most of his other competitors. It varies from person to person.

auscyclefan94 said:
Because for him it is the ideal weight and physiologically Basso is different that Fuglsang. For a top climber and GC rider Evans carries around a few extra kilos (of muscle) and in general looks a lot more muscular across his body and legs. For him that works but he is bigger than most of his other competitors. It varies from person to person.

What strikes me as odd, though, is that they just now found out that it isn't the ideal weight for him. He has long wanted to compete in GTs, from what I recall.

Also, not one mention about Fuglsang's questionable ability to recover in a 3-week stage race.......

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Now thats a very individual thing, how the weight is distributed.
Someone with a huge upper body and skinny legs is obviously more likely to improve by losing weight, think of Wiggins, even at 80kg he didnt have Cance-Grabsch like monster legs so the weight loss likely didnt lower his absolute watt power that much.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
when I was younger and raced alot (not pro ofc) I was 64kg, 183 cm. I ruled the climbs back then. Now 2 kids and a desk, job later its 85 kg.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Did anyone actually read the article?

If you had, you'd have seen this quote.

"He must lose two per cent of body fat. Otherwise he can not make it all the way up the steep mountains,"

If Fulsang lowers his body fat level he doesn't necessarily have to lose a massive amount of weight at all.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

yeah and so is fuglsang. he isn't build like a chris anker sorensen simple as that

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Did anyone actually read the article?

If you had, you'd have seen this quote.

If Fulsang lowers his body fat level he doesn't necessarily have to lose a massive amount of weight at all.

if he loses 2% bodyfat that is like 1.5 kg. he won't be a tour contender after that it's utter nonsense. his problem is that he's inconsistant and doesn't seem to recuperate well nor he is a good enough climber

Ryo Hazuki said:
if he loses 2% bodyfat that is like 1.5 kg. he won't be a tour contender after that it's utter nonsense. his problem is that he's inconsistant and doesn't seem to recuperate well nor he is a good enough climber

Muscle weighs more than fat, so dropping body fat does not necessarily mean losing a particular amount of weight, just replacing it with more useful body mass. Fuglsang is not 'too heavy' to win the Giro, he's 'too fat'. There is a difference.

That said, I agree with your reasons for why he won't win the Giro. Those are closer to the bone.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
To win the Giro you've gotta be in the upper echelon of climbers - Fuglsang is not and never will be. He should trade his 2012 target with Schleck.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
What strikes me as odd, though, is that they just now found out that it isn't the ideal weight for him. He has long wanted to compete in GTs, from what I recall.

Also, not one mention about Fuglsang's questionable ability to recover in a 3-week stage race.......

He should jumped to Saxo..... he would have beed riding the Giro & eating all the donuts he wanted.

Hook, line & sinker for Hogs song. JB didn't want him riding for Contador so the hung the Giro carrot then he'll ride Tour of Austria & that's about it. Snap to Hog.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
He should jumped to Saxo..... he would have beed riding the Giro & eating all the donuts he wanted.

Hook, line & sinker for Hogs song. JB didn't want him riding for Contador so the hung the Giro carrot then he'll ride Tour of Austria & that's about it. Snap to Hog.

:confused: jb isn't the manager of contador anymore

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
If he has the fat there to lose it wouldn't hurt, but to contend for GT's he needs a little more than that 2% body fat off. Then again Froome almost won the vuelta and he's shown less than Fugslang in the past ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
it was fuglsang who tried hard to get away from saxo and riis in the first place last year when riis also wanted to keep him

I think he just went to LEOPARD TREK because Saxo seemed to be folding and that was where everyone was going. I didn't get the idea that he was actively trying to get away from Riis, like the Schlecks and Cancellara.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
I think he just went to LEOPARD TREK because Saxo seemed to be folding and that was where everyone was going. I didn't get the idea that he was actively trying to get away from Riis, like the Schlecks and Cancellara.

nobody was thinking saxo was folding nor was it. schlecks got a better offer from leopard and riis tried to get in contador. I believe fuglsang said he prefered not to be in a team with contador as he ahd no chances for his own

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
nobody was thinking saxo was folding nor was it. schlecks got a better offer from leopard and riis tried to get in contador. I believe fuglsang said he prefered not to be in a team with contador as he ahd no chances for his own

Riis couldn't find a sponsor until the Tour de France. During Tour de Suisse, he still had nothing. Most riders like to have everything in place by then. That's why many of them signed with LEOPARD TREK rather than wait and see what Riis comes up with. It was a last minute deal and until then it looked pretty bad, seeing that even Cancellara's miracle spring didn't help.

You callin' me fat?!

393692_249942501737113_114212335310131_732339_1776601227_n.jpg

He looks positively slim compared to Andersen in the back. Though Fuglsang is known as "candyman"

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
Riis couldn't find a sponsor until the Tour de France. During Tour de Suisse, he still had nothing. Most riders like to have everything in place by then. That's why many of them signed with LEOPARD TREK rather than wait and see what Riis comes up with. It was a last minute deal and until then it looked pretty bad, seeing that even Cancellara's miracle spring didn't help.

You callin' me fat?!

393692_249942501737113_114212335310131_732339_1776601227_n.jpg

He looks positively slim compared to Andersen in the back. Though Fuglsang is known as "candyman"

Maybe thats it Andersson must know Birdsong pretty well and a public kick in the bum to get him on track ?

TRENDING THREADS