• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich still has it!!!

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
procyclingfan said:
1441517_734273036657511_4529414411905399906_n.jpg

Picture is taken last december. To me he looks like he is in his best condition since years. Check his facebook page and you will see a quite fit looking 41 year old guy.

Looks extremely fit. Only in a sport of eating disorders would anyone characterize the man as fat.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
chiocciolis_calves said:
Looks extremely fit. Only in a sport of eating disorders would anyone characterize the man as fat.

QFT

As I met him when everyone was screeching how the man was a whopping 5kg's overweight I can only shrug. The notion he was guzzling bratwurst and beers was just preposterous. Even when 10kg overweight a TdF contender is extremely thin.

The evergoing notion that only if he should have kept his diet he would have crushed the Armstong/UCI block is just a hypothesis. Indeed nobody came ever closer than this seemingly obese lazy guy, so I guess the others were guzzling whipped cream and drinking tequila.

Updates. Time for the wrong sorts of trial for Ulle.

BERLIN (AFP) — Former top cyclist Jan Ullrich will go before a Swiss judge on charges of drunk driving dating from May 2014 when he caused an collision in which two people were injured.

"It’s inexcusable to have driven in the state I was in. It was a terrible mistake, and I deeply regret it,” said Germany’s Ullrich, the 1997 Tour de France winner.

Ullrich, 41, risks a fine and jail sentence of up to three years if found guilty.
His car raced through an intersection and hit a parked car before skidding and hitting another car head-on in the region of Thurgovie.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/ullrich-to-go-on-trial-for-drunk-driving-crash_372177

For those of you who speak German.
A new and pretty interesting interview by Jan.
Especially one point is very interesting. True Ullrich followers no this, but to the rest it might be a bit surprisng.
In this interview he explains that his biggest challenge was to avoid underweight. That was his biggest challenge for him in GTs. When he fell below a certain weight he simply had no power anymore. That was particularly a problem in the 98 tour. The day he cracked on the Galinier was the only time in his pro career he fell below 70 kilos.
Makes you wonder how todays skeleton GT riders, who are much skinnier than Ullrich ever was, can keep their power over 3 weeeks while being utra light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8QfiGyLyhw

Bavarianrider said:
For those of you who speak German.
A new and pretty interesting interview by Jan.
Especially one point is very interesting. True Ullrich followers no this, but to the rest it might be a bit surprisng.
In this interview he explains that his biggest challenge was to avoid underweight. That was his biggest challenge for him in GTs. When he fell below a certain weight he simply had no power anymore. That was particularly a problem in the 98 tour. The day he cracked on the Galinier was the only time in his pro career he fell below 70 kilos.
Makes you wonder how todays skeleton GT riders, who are much skinnier than Ullrich ever was, can keep their power over 3 weeeks while being utra light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8QfiGyLyhw

Because they are not big by nature. Not really a mystery,

But thanks. Ullrich, unlike ie. Armstrong and Riis, always struck me as a very sympathetic guy, and this interview only adds to that.

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
SHAD0W93 said:
Got to blow the dust of this thread. This interview is a year and a half old though just found it and saw no one else posted it.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/11/a-chat-with-jan-ullrich-the-cyclingtips-interview/
I read it all, that was a great interview. Getting pretty nostalgic, I have always loved Der Kaiser, such a humble and down to earth guy.

Man, I would ride with Ulle any day. I talked to him a couple of times and he seemed solid despite the bad old days.